Are you guys more or less hopeful after Nov.4 ?

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
Personally I'm a little confused, I don't know where the movement is heading. On one hand I think that perhaps the regime has stopped the Green Movement and is clamping down hard, that the Poop Coup Crew is inching closer to full dictatorship and power. On the other hand, I see that the younger people are still really angry, maybe even angrier, than a few months back. I could see the possibility of this anger translating into vigilante action down the road, with vigilante groups that target basijis or sepahis forming and growing if the younger generation continue feeling oppressed. The PCC still doesn't feel strong enough to arrest Karroubi and Mousavi. And yet they've gotten away with rape, pissing on peoples' faces in prisons, and even murder. The youth don't feel like Mousavi is even change enough but only a small step forward. They don't seem to have been scared to submission, and yet many could simply escape Iran or work to escape Iran.

So I'm not really sure which way this is headed now. Any thoughts?

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
The confusion is definitely a common feeling, but the level of hope remains intact in the high range.

The confusion stems from the leadership's fairly lazy approach and the general public's impatience. The movement is in transition. Either towards radicalism (as some friends call it) or calmness.

2 parties can alter the direction in which the masses will move.

1. The government
2. Mousavi/Karoubi/Khatami.

If the government in its continuous tactic of "tighten-loosen" decides to loosen the grip on the movement and allow a certain level of press and social freedom to prevail, the movement will definitely lose momentum with people not investing much hope in street demonstrations.

If Mousavi and Co. decide to remain as inactive as they have been for the past 3 months, and the government continues its brutal approach, the masses will see no choice but to seek their own methods of resistance and as with any other leaderless mass movement the methods will be radical and intermittent. This could be temporary or long-term depending on whether a true leader with enough charisma and popularity emerges. Mousavi and Karoubi themselves could also eventually take the role of such leader but won't have the luxury of remaining lazy.

People of Iran don't have a choice. They can't live with this system anymore and that's evident from their behavior during protests. They can only move forward, with or without Mousavi. Sepah has become a very visible part of their lives and they can't stand it. No one should.

MohammadLin

Bench Warmer
Aug 9, 2004
If you are confused just because the fact that there were less people in streets, BE SURE it was only due to the fact that it was Wed, a working day as opposed to Friday, if you want to see green movement in great numbers, you have to be patient till 22 of Bahman ... As for where this is heading, I think it will continue in it's current format for next couple of months, time is in our favour, and believe me people don't forget, especially when they see the coward MOFOs who were beating the innocent girls ...

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
I received an infraction from ISP bassidj today, worth 1 point. Can someone add that to my prediction league points?

The infraction is called Trolling (I thought Trolls were only in Haft Khaneh Rostan and Lord of the rings)

on a more serious note:

Iranian Youth and in general the people of Iran will not let go. I have not had time to read the news articles thoroughly and am not able to contact anyone inside since the internet is cut off completely, but I think this will not recede.

The animals will be forced to ghatle-aam and that will be ten times worst for Velaayate Emaam e sendeh sefat. (oops another trolling coming up)

May 12, 2007
Yes and no.
The negative about 4.nov
1-The number of people were lower(Maybe just because it was a Wednesday maybe because of the earlier arrests)
2- People were unorganized. Some people were arrested the others were not able to
help them. They were just left alone. People couldn't manage to become large either.
3- Generally they need to be more aggressive
The positive
1- People showed they are still many. protests increased geographically. There were
also reports about protests in mazandaran, rasht, Zahedan
2-People showed they have not and will not forget their demand
3- IRI is also weaker than before. Although they have closed so many news papers still
Hayate no bravely talked about green movement in first page.

Generally I think it is time that people start conflict with members of basij, people in seda va sima, .... Simply find them alone argue or beat them let them know they can’t
do these things without punishment. Some of these basijis will still support the government but some will leave. This is the way people can come closer to fight with topper members of the government.
Having said all this I also agree with BT that Mosavi specially is not a good leader. We should not let us be in his hand since he is supporter of IR.
The government may use him as a hostage to play with people.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2007
I'm quite hopeful. Why shouldn't I!?
Regime has lost many many loyal supporters to opposition. Just look around. From Majid Majidi (film director) to Mohammad Noorizad, and even ordinary people, old and yound.
My dad told me one of our distant relatives who used to be a hardcore hezbollahi is now against them and participated in demonstrations, in fact, he's become so anti-regime that he got into fights with fucking basiji's (his ex friends) and beat the shit out of one of them... and got arrested and taken to jail.
These are the realities. Just ask your relatives in Iran. Things HAVE CHANGED. People hate this regime.
Just watch this video from yesterday. Doesn't it fill your heart with hope?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NArBrta39LA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- ‫تیراندازی /دانشجویان خوابگاه نجات وگلشن پلی تکنیک‬‎[/ame]

Jul 28, 2007
Everything to be said, has been said by Kiosk. :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct0cqNaC-Tg"]YouTube- Kiosk-Dasht e Sabz (The Green Field)[/ame]

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Roozbeh jaan, I'm not any less or more hopeful in the end result. But I am also slightly confused about the steps that will lead us there and how long it will take.

Jun 7, 2004
I am always hopeful. I do not have even an ounce of doubt that the Islamic Republic will be gone. The only real question for me is how soon. I am more hopeful than before Nov 4th that it will be sooner than later because I heard this slogan in Tehran University: Rahbaran, Rahbaran maa raa mosallah konid. This was a first.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
If you are confused just because the fact that there were less people in streets, BE SURE it was only due to the fact that it was Wed, a working day as opposed to Friday, if you want to see green movement in great numbers, you have to be patient till 22 of Bahman ... As for where this is heading, I think it will continue in it's current format for next couple of months, time is in our favour, and believe me people don't forget, especially when they see the coward MOFOs who were beating the innocent girls ...
I don't think 22 Bahman is the best day to show the power of the green. This is the same as a Quds Day. There will be millions of AN and Regime supporters in the streets as well so in reality, the big numbers are not as significant.

If the problem was Wed !!! which I do not agree with you and agree more with BT, Then the green leaders should arrange for some sort of peaceful demonstration in a friday !!! It can be as peaceful as people making a green chain, like they did before election, or ....

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
I think this has been mentioned many times already, but alot of people in Iran are still not really aware of the events or proper dates of things happening. I phone relatives in Iran and I seem to be more informed than them about events. Half the time their internet is down or really slow. The satellite channels are poor at communicating and these flyers and advertisements we see online are rarely seen in the streets.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Think of it as a Boxing match - you punch and you get punched.
We did get punched a few times yesterday - we had our lows when our youth got beat up and arrested......
but
IRI lost the 13 Aban battle on 1st of Aban - when the announced people need permits to go to the very demonstrations the government hosts and had been begging all to attend!!

Another huge blow to IRI in Aban was Mahmoud Vahidnia - not just because he had the balls to question Khamenei but because of the question he put forth - it was a knockdown punch. I am talking about the IRIB question, when he told the Olagh that you and your TV are living a lie.

Also - Mohammad Hashemi (Rafsi Son) delivered a nice blow - just give time.......
and as Payan says
Resist, Resist, Resist.
We have no choice but to win this war - or better yet, Humanity has no choice but for us to win this war.

Dorood be sharaf Iroooni ha. We have come a long waaaaays in the alst 10 years. Thank god for the internet.

Jun 18, 2005
Actually the next day for protests is 16 Azar, Rooze Daneshjoo.

It is a matter of debate whether there will be a nationwide strike or protests on that day.

BT Jan, visit Balatarin and you will see that folks in the movement do have active discussions about how and where to hold their rallies, way to be more effective and ways not to get beaten up.

For instance this is one of them:

یکی از بزرگترین اشتباهات ما این بود که اونوقتی که پتانسیل خیلی خوبی داشتیم نرفتیم سراغ قدم های جدی تر. اگه همون بعد انتخابات که مردم میلیونی در صحنه حاضر بودند، رفته بودیم تو فاز تحصن و اعتصاب، حکومت فلج میشد. الان هم خیلی ها از تظاهرات تکراری، خسته شدن و باید حتما به فکر قدم های جدی تر باشیم. مطمئن باشین که تبلیغ یک حرکت جدی تر، نفرات بیشتری رو به خیابون ها میکشونه. به نظر من از الان باید تبلیغات رو ببریم به سمت این که مثلا 16 آذر حتما اعتصاب سراسری رو عملی میکنیم. از بازخورد این پیشنهاد بخوبی میشه استقبال رو سنجید و برنامه رو جلو برد. اما اگر باز مثل قبل خودمون هم تا لحظات آخر ندونیم قراره چیکار کنیم و شرایط رو بسنجیم، باز همین آش و همین کاسه. 2) باید فعالین جنبش شدیدا ارتباطات خودشون رو با نماینده اصناف و گروه ها زیاد کنن. نماینده احزاب، نمایندگان دانشجویی، نماینده کارگران مخصوصا اون هایی که حقوق نگرفتن. نماینده معلمین و نمایندگان فعالین قومیتی، نمایندگان بازار و نمایندگان سندیکای شرکت واحد .در این صورت اگه توافقی حاصل بشه، میشه روش خوب مانور داد. اعتصاب بدون شرکت بازار و کارگران معنایی نداره، مخصوصا کارگران صنعت نفت. برای ترویج فکر اعتصاب در بازار، میشه از الان تا 16 آذر هر هفته سر یک ساعت مشخص، مردم برن بازار و بدون خرید، از بازاری ها بخوان که 16 آذر به مردم ملحق بشن و بازار رو ببندن. اگه چند بار تکرار شه، ترس بازاری ها هم میریزه، چه بسا بین خودشون هم کسایی دست بکار شن که مقدماتی تدارک ببینند. 3) بزرگ ترین مشکل تاکتیکی جنبش تو این 5 ماه بعد انتخابات این بوده که مسایل معیشتی طبقات پایین جامعه رو نادیده گرفته و اگه باز هم از طرف پایین دست حمایت میشه یا بخاطر حرف های قبل انتخابات پیرامون تورم ها و دروغ گفتن های احمدی نژاد بوده و یا به خاطر خشم و کینه از رژیم. در حالی که جنبش چندان نسبت به حقوق نگرفتن ها، بی پولی ها و تورم و مشکلات این بخش عظیم جامعه مخصوصا تو شهرستان ها توجه نکرده. باید همیاری اجتماعی بین اعضای جامعه افزایش پیدا کنه. مثلا برای کارگرهایی که ماه ها حقوق نگرفتن، پول جمع کنیم و براشون یا مواد خوراکی مثل برنج و روغن بخریم و یا به نماینده هاشون بدیم که بینشون تقسیم کنن

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I am always hopeful. I do not have even an ounce of doubt that the Islamic Republic will be gone. The only real question for me is how soon. I am more hopeful than before Nov 4th that it will be sooner than later because I heard this slogan in Tehran University: Rahbaran, Rahbaran maa raa mosallah konid. This was a first.
Thanks FP jaan, you made my day. This is the inevitability and split from the Green politicians that I was talking about in the other thread and indeed a reason to be more hopeful.

Jun 7, 2004
Thanks FP jaan, you made my day. This is the inevitability and split from the Green politicians that I was talking about in the other thread and indeed a reason to be more hopeful.
Bi-honar jaan good to have you back. Since Khatami the hope of the reformists and many people, including on this site, has been that it will be possible to bring about change from within, with the current constitution, at a low cost. And that Khamenei can just be reasoned with and so on. Not so. It will not happen that way.

The structure of the Islamic Republic is set up such that the vilest and ugliest always have the upper hand. If AN is not careful they will eat him alive for being too moderate and not vile enough. Look at what happened to their own nuclear negotiations. It is pathetic. Khamenei and AN both indicated that they will accept west's new package. They couldn't. Because the vilest did not approve of it so they had to back off. And Khamenei even changed colors, pretending as if he never was pushing for its acceptance, just to save face, despite his own documented words and letters.

Islamic Republic = Most obash, ugliest, most oghdei theives are ultimately in charge.

The good of the green movement is that the naive people supporting them keep getting peeled off so those who are truly in charge become more and more alone and more importantly more and more exposed. This has been the key and extremely valuable.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Thank you my good man. I reserved judgement on this peaceful resolution and change from within until yesterday and now I agree with you completely. You can not fight this mentality handing out flowers and wearing green - it just isn't going to cut it. As I said in another thread, if non-violent means and peaceful protests were the way to beat tyranny and oppression sheep would be our equals by now!!! ;)

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
یکی از بزرگترین اشتباهات ما این بود که اونوقتی که پتانسیل خیلی خوبی داشتیم نرفتیم سراغ قدم های جدی تر. اگه همون بعد انتخابات که مردم میلیونی در صحنه حاضر بودند، رفته بودیم تو فاز تحصن و اعتصاب، حکومت فلج میشد. الان هم خیلی ها از تظاهرات تکراری، خسته شدن و باید حتما به فکر قدم های جدی تر باشیم. مطمئن باشین که تبلیغ یک حرکت جدی تر، نفرات بیشتری رو به خیابون ها میکشونه. به نظر من از الان باید تبلیغات رو ببریم به سمت این که مثلا 16 آذر حتما اعتصاب سراسری رو عملی میکنیم. از بازخورد این پیشنهاد بخوبی میشه استقبال رو سنجید و برنامه رو جلو برد. اما اگر باز مثل قبل خودمون هم تا لحظات آخر ندونیم قراره چیکار کنیم و شرایط رو بسنجیم، باز همین آش و همین کاسه. 2) باید فعالین جنبش شدیدا ارتباطات خودشون رو با نماینده اصناف و گروه ها زیاد کنن. نماینده احزاب، نمایندگان دانشجویی، نماینده کارگران مخصوصا اون هایی که حقوق نگرفتن. نماینده معلمین و نمایندگان فعالین قومیتی، نمایندگان بازار و نمایندگان سندیکای شرکت واحد .در این صورت اگه توافقی حاصل بشه، میشه روش خوب مانور داد. اعتصاب بدون شرکت بازار و کارگران معنایی نداره، مخصوصا کارگران صنعت نفت. برای ترویج فکر اعتصاب در بازار، میشه از الان تا 16 آذر هر هفته سر یک ساعت مشخص، مردم برن بازار و بدون خرید، از بازاری ها بخوان که 16 آذر به مردم ملحق بشن و بازار رو ببندن. اگه چند بار تکرار شه، ترس بازاری ها هم میریزه، چه بسا بین خودشون هم کسایی دست بکار شن که مقدماتی تدارک ببینند. 3) بزرگ ترین مشکل تاکتیکی جنبش تو این 5 ماه بعد انتخابات این بوده که مسایل معیشتی طبقات پایین جامعه رو نادیده گرفته و اگه باز هم از طرف پایین دست حمایت میشه یا بخاطر حرف های قبل انتخابات پیرامون تورم ها و دروغ گفتن های احمدی نژاد بوده و یا به خاطر خشم و کینه از رژیم. در حالی که جنبش چندان نسبت به حقوق نگرفتن ها، بی پولی ها و تورم و مشکلات این بخش عظیم جامعه مخصوصا تو شهرستان ها توجه نکرده. باید همیاری اجتماعی بین اعضای جامعه افزایش پیدا کنه. مثلا برای کارگرهایی که ماه ها حقوق نگرفتن، پول جمع کنیم و براشون یا مواد خوراکی مثل برنج و روغن بخریم و یا به نماینده هاشون بدیم که بینشون تقسیم کنن
Thank you for sharing this.
Now, is the time that one can easily see the importance of leadership in this movement. The theory of "People" are the leader and ... is comming up short. It is time for Mussavi, Karubi or who ever else, to step in and take control.

Farzad-USA

Bench Warmer
Apr 4, 2007
rooyesh.blog.com
Mr Smith, who was one of the EA correspondents following and updating on yesterday’s events, offers his analysis:

The Green Wave has bounced back. The strongly-worded threats by the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps did not deter the supporters of Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi, who made it to the police-infested streets of Tehran in their tens of thousands for yet another day of demonstrations, countering the official ones organised by the Ahmadinejad-Khamenei regime.

Yesterday’s events are yet again proof of the fact that the opposition has not been defeated and is not going away. Nearly five months into the Iranian post-electoral crisis, the Ahmadinejad-Khamenei camp has not quite figured out a workable plan to fulfil its intent of silencing the critics. The litany of street violence unleashed by security forces, the background of the occasional killing and raping of reformist activists, and the current warnings by the IRGC and Ayatollah Khamenei that criticism of the “legitimate government” amounted to a crime did little to cow the Green Wave supporters. Instead, the Supreme Leader found himself at the receiving end of the street chants.

Yesterday’s events also effectively ended the regime’s capacity to use key Islamic Republic commemorations for its benefit. The Al-Jazeera English correspondent in Tehran portrayed the Green Wave demonstrations as a “hijacking” of the 13 Aban traditional marches. This interpretation is highly debatable, given that the perpetrators of the assault on the US embassy 30 years ago are now regime enemies, either languishing in jail, such as Mohsen Mirdamadi, or hovering in silence, such as the noted political analyst Abbas Abdi.

Another key outcome from yesterday’s protests is the remarkable capacity of the rank-and-file to organise major events “from below”, without needing or waiting for the go-ahead from its leadership. In fact, Mousavi and Karroubi are now effectively running after their own supporters and offering fatherly advice to them, rather than acting as beacons for the start of direct action.

And do not underestimate the damage of yesterday to the slight legitimacy that the current Government possesses. The amateur footage of young unarmed women being beaten up by riot police and the widespread accounts of violence meted out by security forces will do little to back up the official claim that a small group of “troublemakers” were dealt with humanely by the police. The new round of arrests against student activists and journalists effectively wipes out the scant concessions offered by the release on bail of eminent reformist personalities such as the newspaper editor Mohammad Ghoochani and the noted journalist Hengameh Shahidi. [Editor's note: That concession is very limited, given that Shahidi appeared yesterday in Revolutionary Court to face charges.]

However, not everything is rosy for the reformists. The heavy “security atmosphere”, the Iranian euphemism for the massive presence of police forces on the streets, is having its effects. The number of participants to the 13 Aban demonstrations was considerably lower, by all accounts, than that of the Qods Day marches of 18 September. Many potential participants await news of police deployment before setting out in the streets.

And the leadership is bearing the brunt of its followers’ enthusiasm and relative success. While Karroubi is staunchly appearing in public events, only to be confronted violently by the security forces, Mousavi is effectively in virtual house arrest, prevented from joining crowds of any size. Former President Mohammad Khatami is even more detached, while Hashemi Rafsanjani has gone back to his behind-the-scenes scheming.

More than ever, the Green movement now needs a clear-cut, cogent, middle- to long-term political strategy that will harness the strong popular resentment against Ahmadinejad to plans for the fall of the present government and the establishment of an alternative one, be that in the guise of a “National Unity” coalition or another form. There are reasons to believe that this possiblity is not far-fetched. Political enmity between Ahmadinejad and his conservative opponents is on the rise once again. The Brothers Larijani have contrived to block or delay any possible nuclear deal between the government and the International Atomice Energy Agency, for fear of the credit it would bring to Ahmadinejad. The subsidy plan proposed by the President has unravelled after a public quarrel between the president and Ali Larijani, the Speaker of the Majlis.

A deal between Mousavi, Karroubi, and the Larijanis is still distant on the horizon. However, the two reformist leaders must attempt to turn the sizeable following they command into political capital. Up to that point, the Green movement will resemble the “creative chaos” that has often appeared in recent Iranian political history but has only occasionally succeeded in attaining its long-term goals. A nervous and vicious stalemate hangs right now over the political skyline of Tehran, with the shadows of the Islamic Republic’s most enduring political crisis becoming deeper than ever.

Farzad-USA

Bench Warmer
Apr 4, 2007
rooyesh.blog.com
This is the response from EA’s Chris Emery this morning’s analysis of 13 Aban by Mr Smith. After Emery’s evaluation, Mr Smith offers a brief reply:

The one aspect I missed in your analysis, particularly in regard to the political manoeuvrings of the Larijani brothers and the much-vaunted National Unity Plan, is any mention of the Supreme Leader. Today was undoubtedly another major blow to his personal authority. Yet he is far from an irrelevancy. Any strategy to remove Ahmadinejad will undoubtedly have to include a carefully calibrated approach to Khamenei.

Which comes back to what I have been saying for months: Ahmadinejad’s conservative and reformist opponents are going to have to decide on whether they settle for the paralysis of the President’s Government or take a leap of faith and pursue his removal. I stated a long time ago that I thought the former was probably inevitable, but I still don’t think they have a strategy for the latter. My simplistic reading sees the Larijanis’ decision on this question as central. Personally, I doubt they will move until the anti-Ahmadinejad coalition is able to flex economic muscle: the Green Movement is notably lacking the support of industry or business. Strikes are the crucial source of leverage.

The undoubted achievement of the Green Movement is now the denial of the regime’s mobilisation of pro-regime collective memory. Imagine if the American authorities overnight had to view the 4th of July with a sense of dread. As such, Khamenei’s position as custodian of the revolution is now ridiculous.

For me, the next critical date is Ashua (about 28 December). If the opposition is able to mobilise Shia collective identity, as Imam Khomeini did, then the regime’s problems are huge. This is also where the senior clerics can really play a part — perhaps Rafsanjani’s behind-the-scenes moves are anticipating this?

Mr Smith replies:

You are absolutely right — I had actually included a word or two on the SL but then deleted it mistakenly while editing another topic within the piece. Yesterday’s events were really the end of the Supreme Leader’s prestige, if he had any left. He is now fairly and squarely in centre of the Green Movement’s blame game, something the reformist leaders have to take into account now.

I am still of the opinion that they have to act and send the open letter to Khamenei soon. I think there could be opportunities for a “grand coalition” of sorts against Ahmadinejad if and when the Larijanis finally decide to jump ship and revoke their current tight association with the Khamenei-Ahmadinejad institutional camp

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
It would be unfortunate to follow those advices and that line of strategy.