Asian Cup 2019 UAE (Brackets/ Team News/ History)

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
I'm buying tix for TM semifinal and final game ( you see how optimistic?) from ticketmaster but don't know if Iran is home or away team, how to figure it out? does anybody know?

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Nice way of looking at it.
Indeed a good reply to BT ,but it is very obvious isn't it ?

Oman is a good team ,good players ,say they can beat Pakistan with 3-4 goals and not let any in but against Iran they can hardly put three passes together .
That is because our lads with superior technique and strength would not allow them to do that , bit of common sense mate in it ?

A friend was saying :

Many years ago I used to envy this guy in martial art club that could do a high roundhouse kick and just hold it up there as if he had rubber limbs !

I could never get even close to what he could do , but could he hit anyone with it ? hell ,no ! maybe some novice or a practitioner much lower grade than him .

I could never kick that high but in sparring I would always get him with a kick or punch , and again that doesn't mean I could do that against anyone I sparred with ,there were those who dish it on me and I couldn't stop them ,simply because they were better or more experienced and superior .

This is what competition is all about , be it table tennis or basketball or whatever ...

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
It’s because Iran is not letting them attack by pressing up front. This is not something you see at Asian level and Asian teams are not used to dealing with this type of pressure, hence it looks like they don’t want to attack. This style of playing requires excellent stamina and decipline. Iranians are running a lot and at the same time managing the game. Surely, there are lapses here and there which is mainly due to trying to recover and then start pressuring again because you cannot keep this kind of pressure the entire 90 minutes.
CQ spoke about this yesterday. I was reading about it. He specifically said we play higher up to force that control. Another aspect of his master chess game not really seen in Asia. Another great attribute he has brought to the team.

It’s because Iran is not letting them attack by pressing up front. This is not something you see at Asian level and Asian teams are not used to dealing with this type of pressure, hence it looks like they don’t want to attack. This style of playing requires excellent stamina and decipline. Iranians are running a lot and at the same time managing the game. Surely, there are lapses here and there which is mainly due to trying to recover and then start pressuring again because you cannot keep this kind of pressure the entire 90 minutes.
Not entirely correct. Iran does press high at times, but never for extended periods. Only for short to medium periods (1-5 minutes max). It's been analyzed and studied. The other times, Iran relies on the opponent to push up and leave gaps behind. It's the only way Iran is able to contain high caliber teams for 90 minutes. Teams that sit back and defend cause problems for Iran because the creativity and accuracy are simply not there. What you call "lapses" are not really lapses. They're as you said recovering periods and also deceiving periods to lure the opponent. Some teams don't get lured just like how Japan never got lured against KSA today.

In reality CQ would like the high-pressing periods to be longer, but he doesn't have the players for it. His players have mediocre first-touches which is a total buzz-kill when it comes to CQ's tactics. All of Iran's mistakes come from first-touch failures. Something that players need to have learned by the time they're 16-17.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Kirgyz hit the bar in the 120th min.... easier to score than miss.
UAE are so lucky

3-2 FT
Embarrassing I would say to this UAE team! They barely made it and the way they got this win is beyond me... All these facilities and support, they can't manage to put on a good and decent performance! How pathetic... They will play Australia next, should be easy for Aussies!

Feb 4, 2005
Embarrassing I would say to this UAE team! They barely made it and the way they got this win is beyond me... All these facilities and support, they can't manage to put on a good and decent performance! How pathetic... They will play Australia next, should be easy for Aussies!
I hope they get embarrassed by Australia but Kangaroos have not been anything special either

Feb 4, 2005
Based on what I have seen so far, only Korea (with Son added) are a big threat. If we can play as organized as we did in Russia and improve our goal to chances ratio, Japan and Australia should not pose any problem

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
I have a feeling our biggest threats will be from japan and Korea as well. First we have to get through japan and looking at them they know how to get the job done. Today the ball position was 78% against 22% for Saudi Arabia. And Japan still manage to capitalize on their opportunities and kick this Saudis out. Iran must be very careful against China and cannot afford a lapse in concentration as they did in their last game. Japan will be a very tough task as they have a spirit of fighting to the last minute. Going back to China and the amount of money that has been invested in their soccer program and the money that is paid to their coach they are there to cause a surprise. We must stay focused and do not take them for granted. I watched China’s last game and they played hard but Iran is definitely better and capable of finishing them off.