Azerbaijan to change name to 'Northern Azerbaijan' to annoy Iran?

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
Intresting but I don't think it will happen

You'd think Azerbaijan might have its hands full with one ongoing territorial dispute, but a group of lawmakers have apparently decided this is a good time to mix things up with Iran. EurasiaNet's Giorgi Losadze explains:
The idea, pitched by minority lawmakers and applauded by representatives of the ruling Yeni Azerbaijan Party, spells trouble for the already less-than-neighborly relations between Azerbaijan and Iran. The name Northern Azerbaijan emphasizes the fact that the Azeri nation is split between an independent state, the Republic of Azerbaijan, and a province in northern Iran, known to many Azerbaijanis as Southern Azerbaijan.[...]
And why not?, asked Yeni Azerbaijan Party parliamentarian Siyavush Novruzov. We already have the examples of North and South Korea, North and South Cyprus, so “Azerbaijan, as a divided state, should be called Northern Azerbaijan,” he argued, Trend reported. The lawmakers have proposed to hold a national referendum on the name change.
The situation is a kind of inverse version of the ongoing naming dispute in Macedonia, which has had to labor under the ungainly name of "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" because Greece feels the name "Macedonia" implies a territorial claim on a region of Northern Greece historically known by that name.
The Azerbaijan naming dispute takes place against the backdrop of what tightened international oil sanctions against Tehran will mean for the country's own oil market.
Hat tip: Joshua Kucera
http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts...nge_name_to_northern_azerbaijan_to_annoy_iran

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
if we "Iranians" are so concerned about Azabayejan provinces perhaps we should take an active role in our little society and discourage others from participating in Turki jokes.

Is it not ironic that Half of of Country budget for right or wrong gets spent in Tehran.

Tehrani's left and right make jokes about Lores,Arabs,Turks and Rashtis and then complain about why they don't fully participate in events such jonbesh sabz that start in Tehran.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
if we "Iranians" are so concerned about Azabayejan provinces perhaps we should take an active role in our little society and discourage others from participating in Turki jokes.

Is it not ironic that Half of of Country budget for right or wrong gets spent in Tehran.

Tehrani's left and right make jokes about Lores,Arabs,Turks and Rashtis and then complain about why they don't fully participate in events such jonbesh sabz that start in Tehran.
^^^^ With all Due Respect, I don't think the Jokes have anything to do with separatist tendencies of minority of people on those region. I have many friends who are Turk, Rashti and they will be the first ones to say a Turki or Rashti Jokes in a party and ...

Overall, I highly doubt it if these people are that SHALLOW and that INSECURE.

The separatist tendencies usually go to deeper problem such as injustice in distribution of the wealth of the country on those region or government restricting the people of that region to teach or practise their language or rituals and ...

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
of course wealth distribution and right to mother tongue education is a bigger deal.
but one can argue we can't do much about that for the moment.

as turks being the first to tell turki jokes.

That is mostly just the case in the U.s or cities in Iran who Turks are not the majority.

I doubt that you have been sitting in Urumieh and Tabriz and witness fellow Azarbaiejani throwing around turki jokes.

It is one thing to have a joke against Esfahani for being stingy or thrifty.

It is another to call someone stupid, considering those folks are 30% of Iran's population.

in the case of Lors you can add another 10%.

All I can say things many times look very different when you live in Iran's border cities. It is true that in the past 30 years things have been much worse than before.

but these are issues that have existed for a long time and as a society we have not exactly helped that trend in a positive direction.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209

If the pillars of a nation could tremble b/c of some funny ethnic jokes, then better not stand.

I'm Azari btw.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
I doubt that you have been sitting in Urumieh and Tabriz and witness fellow Azarbaiejani throwing around turki jokes.
You are right and I have not been to Urumieh or Tabriz to witness how fellow Turk Hamvatans feel about these jokes but I am from Mazandaran and we are the target or Shomali and Rashti Jokes and I can assure you that we laugh about those and don't take them serious.

But as far as Azarbaiejanis goes, I guess our fellow Azari Hamvatans here can give us a better input on this issue.

That being said, lets look at the kurds in Iran. There is NOT even ONE Joke about them but they probably have the most separatists tendencies among all the racial minorities in Iran and that is simply due to the fact that they are the most OPPRESSED racial minority in Iran for years now.

I think instead of looking at jokes and ... we have to see what is the root cause for these movements and try to resolve those issues first.

Here in Canada, there are ton of Newfi jokes about people from Newfoundland but we don't see them want to separate and it is the french in Quebec that have the separatist tendencies.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002

I am not so sure that 1/2 of countries budget is spent in Tehran but you should consider also that 1/3 of population lives in Tehran province. In fact I think that provinces like Azarnjan, Isfahan, Qom, Khorasan, and Yazd get disproportional share of budget and national projects because many Akhoonds and IRI politicians come from those areas. This is to the cost of poor provinces like Sistan/Baloochaestan, Kurdestan, BoyerAmad, Charmahal, Kermanshah...etc. Tehran is wealthy mostly because of concentration of private sector business and govenment jobs in the capital.

ALI M.D

Bench Warmer
Jul 8, 2003
Montreal
Mark my word after U.S is finished with Iran they will go back to Persia days. They will lose all minority cities to neighboriing countries. Last but not least Kurdistan will be formed into a nation.