Baby the REAL football starts again today!

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Finally, the summers over and top flight football starts today with the Premier League! Bundesliga too, but I dont really give a rat's ass about that.

Primera and Serie A to follow up too.

I feel this is going to be the most competitive PL table for a long long time.

Spurs are closest to breaking into the top 4, and Arsenal will be watching their backs.

Then you got Everton, Blackburn, possibly Man City, Newcastle and West Ham with all European ambitions, not to mention Portsmouth who might have overachieved last season just a tad.

You got Roy Keane going up against top teams for the first time. The return of the Svengali.

You can see Rafa "The Goattee" Benitez trying one more time for the league with his summer signings of El Nino et al...Should be a good season.

My money is on the following:

Champions: Man Utd
CL: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal
UEFA: Spurs, Blackburn, Man City
Relegation: Derby, Wigan, Sunderland

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I can't wait either. The summer has gone quick for me this time.

I think Chelsea will find it more difficult this year than even last. United are top dogs for the league but I think a more serious challenge will come from Liverpool than Chelsea.

First game, Sunderland vs Spurs at midday today.

Come on Keano.

Jun 26, 2007
naaa...ur gonna see a different Arsenal team this season...
with a fully fit RVP & Da Silva...we may as well challenge for the title...

And I love Bundesliga!! my second favourite leage after EPL!

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
a lot depends to me on El Nino..if he is a hit, Liverpool might as well win it. If not, Benitez is gone..
Guardian picked Chelsea, ManU got a better team than last season, Arsenal is not as bad as people believe...Spurs look good on paper.Interesting season ahead.

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
Liverpool have no excuse this season, hopefully for them Torres won't trip up with spanish 'i miss my mum and it rains too much here i want to go home' syndrome, if he doesnt go down that path then he will tear it up

Jun 26, 2007
hich kas Arsenal ro jedi nemigire?!!
hhmm!

I'll say this much...if they dont win, or at least finish as runners up, then Mr. Wenger should leave!!!!!

Jan 23, 2003
Amazing how the summer went. Mind you we did have almost non-stop football. La Liga finished in June, then Copa America then Asian Cup and after couple of weeks season starts.

For all its superior quality, I still prefer international football to club football.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
hich kas Arsenal ro jedi nemigire?!!
hhmm!

I'll say this much...if they dont win, or at least finish as runners up, then Mr. Wenger should leave!!!!!
Arsenal have very good players and will again play attractive football. But to win the league you need consistency, something that comes with time and which they lacked the last couple of seasons. It will be this elment which will hinder them again.

Wenger has done so much more at Arsenal than meets the eye. In fact his work buidling the infrastructure of the club hasn't had much publicity but has been far more important than what he has done with the first team. He set up the whole academy sytem, the trainin facilities, the coaching sysem, the scouting. The list is so long, most of which didn't exist prior to his arrival and he is what keeps it together now.

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
Ok, this is my guess:

It'll be either Chelsea or ManU once again and it'll go to the wire.

But I'll say this: ManU has made the best signing in all of Europe with Carlos Tevez. Him with Rooney and CRonaldo will be unbelievable. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the European Cup as well.

But for Chelsea to do anything this year, including being Champions, they have to

a) not have so many injuries
b) get Ballack and Sheva back into form
c) hope Ghana, Nigeria, and Ivory Coast all lose in the first round of the African Cup of Nations

Jun 26, 2007
Arsenal have very good players and will again play attractive football. But to win the league you need consistency, something that comes with time and which they lacked the last couple of seasons. It will be this elment which will hinder them again.

Wenger has done so much more at Arsenal than meets the eye. In fact his work buidling the infrastructure of the club hasn't had much publicity but has been far more important than what he has done with the first team. He set up the whole academy sytem, the trainin facilities, the coaching sysem, the scouting. The list is so long, most of which didn't exist prior to his arrival and he is what keeps it together now.
AGREED 100%!!

but what about trophies?
Are the gunners happy to finish fourth yet again??
I doubt it...

sirabi

News Team
Sep 19, 2005
Jaye Keyvan Pars khali.

I'm not too sure about Tottenham doing that well. People are putting a lot of pressure on them. If they don't get off to a good start, it might be rough and Jol might go. United just look so strong.

Carlos Edwards is such a good player. He was amazing at the World Cup and I think he might go to a top team after the season. Keane is already showing the qualities of a world class manager.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
Where is Ali?

I must be the unluckiest Fantasy League player ever. I picked Anelka in place of Martins at the last minute and see who scored twice already!!!
I feel fed up. I had promised meself not to play this season. Should have stuck with that promise!

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Where is Ali?

I must be the unluckiest Fantasy League player ever. I picked Anelka in place of Martins at the last minute and see who scored twice already!!!
I feel fed up. I had promised meself not to play this season. Should have stuck with that promise!
well..Anelka scored now too..which makes you not that unlucky..

I went for Berbatov-McCarthy and Mellberg over Dunne, which turns out to be a mistake.
Damn you Sven..

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
well..Anelka scored now too..which makes you not that unlucky..

I went for Berbatov-McCarthy and Mellberg over Dunne, which turns out to be a mistake.
Damn you Sven..
I had such bad spells last season that I was beginning to take it personally1 :)
I made a fast start and after 3 months was well ahead in my league. Then all of a sudden my players stop scoring any points whatsoever. I had so many weekends where I ended up with minus points!!! I changed some players but they all turned into pieces of turd too.
I hope I do better this year.