BATTLE OF PERSIA!!

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I saw this in an Iran related site and thought it would be appropriate to share it with you.

"Never in the field oh human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so FEW."
Winston Churchill Aug 20 1940

63 years ago at this time, the British Royal Air Force was engaged in a life and death struggle against Nazi Germany's air force, the Luftwaffe. Hitler had taken all of continental
Europe in the lightning war campaign, known as the "Blitzkrieg". The Royal Air Force was badly outnumbered by a factor of 3 to 1, and the US and the USSR would not enter the war until a year later. The Nazis saw it as essential and very manageable to defeat the Royal Air Force in order to capture the last remaining country in Europe.

The fate of
Britain and the non-Nazi world lie in the hands of the pilots and ground crew of the RAF Fighter Command. These airmen proved the Nazi war planners wrong, and in the period of July to September of 1940, fought bravely and successfully against the Luftwaffe, resulting in Hitler's decision to abandon the invasion of Britain, and his first defeat.

"The Few", as they became known, consisted of 2927 pilots, almost half of whom lost their lives. To this day, the Battle of Britain is commemorated every year very solemnly by the British people, and is considered one of the major events of British and world history.

Forty years later, Saddam's
Iraq invaded Iran, which was in the midst of revolutionary turmoil and a hostage crisis. I remember the day that the Iraqi Air Force bombed and terrorized most of the major cities in Iran, and Saddam's army crossed the border virtually unopposed and captured dozens of cities thousands of square kilometers of Iran's territory. The atrocities and looting committed by his troops have yet to be punished or even apologized for.

While many brave Iranians resisted fiercely on the ground, there was virtually no army or heavy weapons at that time standing in Saddam's way as his tanks rolled in and tried to annex Khuzestan and rename it "Arabistan". Like Hitler, Saddam needed a defeat of his enemy's air force to secure victory. Like Hitler, Saddam vastly underestimated his enemy. The air battle that followed was highly significant, and vastly underreported. This air battle is what halted the Iraqi invasion in its tracks, and spelled the beginning of defeat for Saddam's schemes.

The true and amazing story of this battle as well as the rest of the air war is described in a new book by Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop: Iran-Iraq War in the Air 1980-1988, published by Schiffer Books. This book is the result of 15 years of research and many interviews with participants of this battle on both sides.

We have heard very little about the Iranian Air Force and its role in the defense of our country, and for good reason. The Iranian government always wanted to downplay the role of this "American" and "Imperial" and "Taghooti" infested force. The
US never wanted to admit the notion that a "third world terrorist" country (or the "ayatollah's air force") could so effectively operate its most sophisticated weaponry at the time despite lack of US support.

The French and Russians never wanted to admit that an "inoperable" and "kaput" air arm could shoot down so many of their most sophisticated aircraft, it would just be bad marketing. Most of the history written about this aspect of the war claims that most of Iran's air force was grounded due to the lack of spare parts, desertion and execution of pilots and other personnel, and departure of US technicians.

The truth however, was quite different. While clearly,
Iran suffered from a lack of a constant supply of spare parts and ammunition, as well as purging and politicizing of the armed forces, the Persian Air Force put politics aside and fought bravely for its country.

There were cases of imprisoned pilots begging to be let out to fly missions, and after flying 2 or 3 extremely dangerous missions, would be shot down and killed. This was one of the greatest and most dedicated team efforts in our history, where the aircrew and groundcrews and other Air Force personnel worked and fought day and night and went far beyond their call of duty to save our country.

While both sides lost many aircraft, most of Iran's losses were due to flying extremely dangerous (virtually suicidal) precision strike missions over heavily defended sites deep inside Iraq and above the front lines at extremely low altitude to avoid detection by Iraq's increasing radar coverage provided by the Europeans and Russians, as well as US and Saudi AWACS support. This was necessary to slow and ultimately stop the advance of the Iraqi army, and allow precious time for
Iran to regroup and reform its own ground forces with new command structure to more directly confront the invaders.

The use of expensive fighter jets against tanks and other army equipment is not a good use of military resources, but there was no choice at the time. Meanwhile
Iraq's missions were primarily low precision cowardly attacks against population centers to intimidate Iran into accepting defeat.

A few more interesting highlights about this part of the war:

- In air to air engagements, Iran's kill ratio was roughly 5:1, which is only surpassed by the Israelis against Syria in 1982 and the US in the Gulf war in 1991. Very often, air engagements consisted of 1-2 Iranian fighters engaging 4, or even 8 Iraqi fighters and winning. It got to the point where Iraq ordered its pilots to avoid air to air engagements (especially with the F-14), and actually had to import mercenary pilots from Egypt, and even places like Belgium, South Africa, and East Germany to fly the critical missions!

- In 1982,
Iran launched a brilliantly planned and daring air strike on the H-3 airfield near the Jordanian border where the Iraqis thought their aircraft were safe. They would find that they were wrong when 8 F-4s destroyed 48 Iraqi aircraft on the ground with complete surprise, and all returned safely to Iran.

This mission was the largest destruction of enemy aircraft on the ground after the 1967 Arab Israeli 6 day war, was one of the most brilliant air assaults in history, and involved aerial refueling at an altitude of less than 100 meters, violating about every safety rule there is.

The flight from
Iran to H-3 was longer and more risky than the flight from Israel to Baghdad's Osirak reactor in 1981. 2 of the 8 pilots in this raid were subsequently executed in a purge a few years later by the Iranian government. Some of the remaining pilots eventually left the country.

The most accomplished F-14 aces in the world are Iranian, some of which have 9 kills to their name, most of which were the most advanced Soviet and French aircraft.

And unlike the RAF "Few", our "Few" had to do all this in the face of a mistrusting government who could (and did) execute them and/or their comrades, and in the face of shortages and embargoes, while
Iraq was fully supported and resupplied with the latest and greatest (sometimes so new that it was yet to be tested) weaponry. Sadly, their sacrifice has been mostly untold and unrecognized except by the few who know the stories. That is why the original title of this book was "Forgotten Warriors".

This was a painful chapter in our history, and since then, many of us Iranians have moved on in our lives in a million different directions. While I have described a small piece of the air war here, this shouldn't detract in the least from the great sacrifices made on the ground and at sea. I just thought that this story has been less told. I feel that the Iran-Iraq War should be renamed the Arab-Iranian War, since that is what it really was.

I also feel the air war should be called the "Battle of Persia". When I read Churchill's quote, I cannot help but think of the Persian Air Force. I don't know what your political leanings or your social opinions or your visions of the future are, it doesn't matter. But I think a nation is judged by many things, one of the most important of which is how it honors its fallen and its great men and women throughout its history.

I hope you will join me today in taking a moment to honor the often forgotten Persian "Few", too many of whom never came home so that we could. In my heart and in my mind, they are the modern day Ferdosi, who saved us from second Qadesiyeh.

Feb 22, 2005
Great post. I like to add:

1) Churchill was the biggest racist and killer in the world. He was a big promoter of British invading Iran an a big reason for the coup against mossadegh. But yes for his own people he was great. Unlike IR.

2. The violence against Iranian airforce and pilots were understandable, as any dictatorship regime that takes over always executes the people who were traitors against the previous regime as they have the tendency to become traitors against current regime. Especially when the dictatorship regime knows they were treated like kings in the prev regime and it will not be able to match that.

Other than that a great article. Sad to see the lack of intellegence in IR to comprehend the most basic and at least give credit when it is due. Our airforce was one of the finest in the world with one of the best pilots. Our military was strong and that is why Iran kept its territory and why Iraq did not just walk into Tehran.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
lordofmordor said:

1) Churchill was the biggest racist and killer in the world. He was a big promoter of British invading Iran an a big reason for the coup against mossadegh. But yes for his own people he was great. Unlike IR.

2. The violence against Iranian airforce and pilots were understandable, as any dictatorship regime that takes over always executes the people who were traitors against the previous regime as they have the tendency to become traitors against current regime. Especially when the dictatorship regime knows they were treated like kings in the prev regime and it will not be able to match that.

Other than that a great article. Sad to see the lack of intellegence in IR to comprehend the most basic and at least give credit when it is due. Our airforce was one of the finest in the world with one of the best pilots. Our military was strong and that is why Iran kept its territory and why Iraq did not just walk into Tehran.
Lord jAn,
Agreed!! but Churchill was not elected to sympathize with Iran or any other anti UK nation, he was assigned to Lead Great Britain and fulfilled his duties to his nation during the most difficult times of UK history.
Dr. Mossaddegh was his second greatest Enemy after Gandi. I don't condone his action against one our greatest Hero of all time and consequently against our Nation. But I think they were both enemies and no one should feel compassionate toward his adversary.

artavile

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
MD, USA
Very interesting article Motori jan. You know, if I had a say in the Iranian government back then, I would definitely suggest at minimum, carpet bombing, Bagdad, Mosoul and Takrit.

Mahi ro har vagt az ab begiri tazes.........

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
artavile said:
Very interesting article Motori jan. You know, if I had a say in the Iranian government back then, I would definitely suggest at minimum, carpet bombing, Bagdad, Mosoul and Takrit.

Mahi ro har vagt az ab begiri tazes.........
Arti jAn,
You are stepping on my toes and that always make me scream from the bottom of my lungs......loool
Every once in a while they made us watch some documentaries (for moral reasons) composed of actual footage of Iranian Fighter/Bombers over flying deep in the Iraqi territory. It happened so many times when we saw that target designating + on bridges over Tigress river, railroads, highways and other Government related structures but we didn't witness any explosion b/c mr. khomeini prohibited any target strike except Military installations period. He was trying to prove to the whole world that we are very civilized and responsible adversary when half of the world was involved in the Combat helping our enemy any way.
First week of war we could cripple the commerce and daily life in baghdad just by destroying bridges, electricity generators and elevated roads with minimum human collateral damage.
We used to joke and say Khomieni sends our fighter to Baghdad just to give Iraqis wake up calls so they hurry up and kill us.

artavile

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
MD, USA
Ouch, sorry about your toes man.

It's a shame that this pseudo Iranian MF did not even follow the teachings of his forefathers when he should have!!!!! cause when the first wave Moslems (nomadic animals) came to our country they killed, destroyed, burnt and raped.

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
Thanx for the Post Motori Jaan -
Indeed we owe a lot to those pilots - yet nobody knows them !!
IRI was always interested to introduce the 16 year old Basijis as our war heroes. Brilliancy of Iranian pilots was a well known fact years before the revolution.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
lordofmordor said:

Hitler?? Stalin?? pol Pot? Saddam?? ever heard of them??

and please...spare us Mossadegh...

you should maybe decide once whether Mossadegh was a goof and a traitor or a decent chap.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
AMirza said:
Thanx for the Post Motori Jaan -
Indeed we owe a lot to those pilots - yet nobody knows them !!
IRI was always interested to introduce the 16 year old Basijis as our war heroes. Brilliancy of Iranian pilots was a well known fact years before the revolution.
Masoud jAn,
It is well known fact that year after the start of BATTLE Central Command of Iraq ordered their pilots TO AVIOD all direct engagement with Iranian Fighters, not a surprise to see such a command coming out of bunch of barbarian flying sophisticated machineries. 5 to 1 over all kill ratio is a formidable track record. When Iran completed the air strike over H3 Air Force Base Iraq lost 45 planes in very short period of time at the other hand Iranian Planes returned home without a single bullet hole in the airframe.
Dameshoon Hamisheh Garm!!:hug: :hug:

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Motori said:
Arti jAn,
You are stepping on my toes and that always make me scream from the bottom of my lungs......loool
Every once in a while they made us watch some documentaries (for moral reasons) composed of actual footage of Iranian Fighter/Bombers over flying deep in the Iraqi territory. It happened so many times when we saw that target designating + on bridges over Tigress river, railroads, highways and other Government related structures but we didn't witness any explosion b/c mr. khomeini prohibited any target strike except Military installations period. He was trying to prove to the whole world that we are very civilized and responsible adversary when half of the world was involved in the Combat helping our enemy any way.
First week of war we could cripple the commerce and daily life in baghdad just by destroying bridges, electricity generators and elevated roads with minimum human collateral damage.
We used to joke and say Khomieni sends our fighter to Baghdad just to give Iraqis wake up calls so they hurry up and kill us.
Motori jAn,

Have you been in Iranian AF?:cheers:

Oct 1, 2004
lordofmordor said:
Where are those pilots now. Who are they? How many were executed during and after revolution.
Some are still serving or retired. Some left right at the beginning of the revolution. Some as the article stated were thrown into prison but flew missions for the love of the country, and unfortunately some were executed.
I wish I knew more, but there is very little info or databases about the Iran-War, thanks to what seems to be a dislike of statistics and archiving by Iranians.

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
My uncle flew the most hours in defense of Iran in the critical first two years of the war. He does not like to talk about it, because he is very quiet by nature. Those who say the Iranian airforce betrayed Iran during the revolution are very confused at best. The IRANIAN air force was just that. The majority stood together with the NATON of Iran both during and after the revolution. The air force was not the personal property of the Shah, to be expected to stand with him and bomb their own country men and women. At worst, it can be said that like the VAST majority of Iranians, they were fed up with the corruption in Shah's system and STOOD up against it. They made a mistake like the rest of us, about the nature of what was to follow... but the heart and sincerity and love of country of them can not be questioned. Many of them paid with their lives defending our country against impossible odds just a few years later.

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
Homafars were the ones who betrayed Iran. They were the first of the Iranian armed forces to join the revolution. I don't know the details of their connection to the armed forces - they may have been a sub of the air force or a special helicopter support section - but far far different level than a Royal Iranian Air Force pilot.
I recall in the early 70's there were hundreds of Iranian AF pilots training in San Antonio, Texas, alone. They were very well respected. There was more of them stationed in Virginia - I think they all had to go through a couple of years of training in USA alone. I am not a bit surprised by the 5:1 ratio motori mentioned - I fully expected it.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
ME said:
Motori jAn,

Have you been in Iranian AF?:cheers:
ME jAn,
No!! But due to my assignment I had direct daily contact with IRIAF. I used to work for IHSRC (Iran Helicopter Support & Renewal Company ) which is subsidiary of Iranian Department of Defense, this Company provides Depot level of support and service to ALL helicopters in Iran. Helicopter division of Iranian Army is the major Client then Air Force, Navy, Police, Jandarmery any other military or civilian association having Helicopters in their service. When you go to Tehran IHSRC will be the first major establishment you will see when you're leaving Mehrabad. It is located on southwest corner of Maydan Azaadi and fight line is visibale through the fences right across the Bus Terminal.
I was assigned to CH-47C Chinook Tactical Groupe, the grand back bone of Iranian Armed Forces Medium Transport during the Battle of Persia. Here is a Pic. of the Chopper.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Fatso said:
Some are still serving or retired. Some left right at the beginning of the revolution.
Some as the article stated were thrown into prison but flew missions for the love of the country,
and unfortunately some were executed.
I wish I knew more, but there is very little info or databases about the Iran-War, thanks to what seems to be a dislike of statistics and archiving by Iranians.
Fatso jAn,
For some of these Military Personnel start of Iran/Iraq war was considered as blessing from God I'm sorry to say.
Imagine a person completely aware of his destiny awaiting in death row to face the extremely active death squad tomorrow and all of a sudden today the cell door opens and they tell him you are FREE go home....I'm sure many Prison Guards received a juicy smooch on their cheeks from the Inmates who hated them.........LOOOL
And this liberty was not restricted I mean FREE. Only restriction was that they were not allowed to leave the country which nobody was anyway. Their participation in the War was not enforced but politely asked if they would voluntarily contribute. I don't know any body who didn't.

Oct 18, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
AMirza said:
Homafars were the ones who betrayed Iran. They were the first of the Iranian armed forces to join the revolution. I don't know the details of their connection to the armed forces - they may have been a sub of the air force or a special helicopter support section - but far far different level than a Royal Iranian Air Force pilot.
I recall in the early 70's there were hundreds of Iranian AF pilots training in San Antonio, Texas, alone. They were very well respected. There was more of them stationed in Virginia - I think they all had to go through a couple of years of training in USA alone. I am not a bit surprised by the 5:1 ratio motori mentioned - I fully expected it.
Homafars were also the ones who were most "insulted" as a result of American troop presence in Iran.
As an exampe I remember a friend of our family telling how an American gorooban would easily slap a much higher ranked Iranian officer without any response.
Because of the particular dependence of the IIAF on Americans they had the most contact with them. That's why some (not all) American jack asses made the Homafars feel the way they did when they turned their back against the shah.