BBQ thread

Nov 24, 2002
I didn't get what you exactly mean, are you asking for recommendation of a brand, or you want know the preference between gas or Charcoal BBQ?

I know we have many kabob and grill experts here. What kind of a grill do you recommend for grilled g steak, chicken, fish etc...?
.You can't go wrong with webber for either gas or charcoal , a bit Pricey but they will last much longer . Try to maintain your grill , don't just use it and leave till the next use. one small trick if you grill fish,
clean the grill and then cut a potato in half and rub it on the surface , it will prevent the stickiness

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I know we have many kabob and grill experts here. What kind of a grill do you recommend for grilled g steak, chicken, fish etc...?
Nothing but a Weber. I've had mine for 14 years (A genesis). Only when I start remodeling the back yard I will give it away. The only thing that is damaged is the cover due to sun and rain and ...........

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I didn't get what you exactly mean, are you asking for recommendation of a brand, or you want know the preference between gas or Charcoal BBQ?
Yes, I am looking for recommendation on a brand. I am familiar with Webber, but I was looking at a hybrid grill that can do both gas and solid fuel (Wood and char coal).
I was hoping folks here might have come across such beast.
The only one I have found so far is made by Alfresco -> http://www.alfrescogrills.com/30-alx2-grill-accessories/

Nov 24, 2002
Yes, I am looking for recommendation on a brand. I am familiar with Webber, but I was looking at a hybrid grill that can do both gas and solid fuel (Wood and char coal).
The only one I have found so far is made by Alfresco -> http://www.alfrescogrills.com/30-alx2-grill-accessories/
I also think Weber is the best, i don't have that but few friends have it and are very happy, i don't know much about hybrid grill though. I guess having a good grill is one thing, how you marinate and specially cook steak, chicken, Kabab, Vegetables, etc is another thing. Cooking is the key, specially for steaks.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Forget that. Buy a Weber gas grill and a $20 manghal iranian style for charcoal unless you are looking for a smoker.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Forget that. Buy a Weber gas grill and a $20 manghal iranian style for charcoal unless you are looking for a smoker.
Yes, that's what I have had for a long time, but I am looking into building an outdoor kitchen with built-in appliance. I don't want to maintain two types of Grill (Gas and Coal). That's why I am leaning towards the hybrid model that gives me best of both world and at the same time, it looks nice. BTW, I ended up using my $20.00 Manghal most of the time instead of gas powered grill. I don't want to spend lots of money on an outdoor kitchen and then end up using a $20.00 Manghal again :)

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I have been using a Webber for the last five years, before that I had another one for over 10 but sold it when I moved. I do not understand like others pointed out are you looking for a specific brand or gas v chacoal BBQ? I stay away from charcoal because every time you have to buy it. I also stick with propane because you taste the meat and not the charcoal. I grill at least every day, chicken, fish, meat or steak so I say you can't fail with a Webber. There are also other good brands and sometimes like on black Friday, you can get a good grill for half the price. Just wait for the good deals you might be able to get a $300 grill for $150.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
If you are looking for something different than try Treager smoker.You won't get kabob like we do it on manghal, but rib eyes, chicken, fish come out tasty and it never burns the food.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Speaking of grilling a friend of mine had her mom in visiting from the old country and we went to his house to meet her. My friend was BBQing and his mom asked me "Shoma ham gooreel mikonid?". I blushed and was shocked at what I heard when my wife saved my ass of an embarrassment and said "baleh ma ham kabob va steak dorost mikonim."

Speaking of grilling a friend of mine had her mom in visiting from the old country and we went to his house to meet her. My friend was BBQing and his mom asked me "Shoma ham gooreel mikonid?". I blushed and was shocked at what I heard when my wife saved my ass of an embarrassment and said "baleh ma ham kabob va steak dorost mikonim."
this reminds me of my friend's fiancee who used to say Khaye Mishkoonam instead of khahesh mikonam . she was from Thailand

ERFAN-90

Football Fan
Jun 17, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Man grilling is easy. I suggest buy a decent BBQ (doesn't need to be expensive at all!) use wood (natural) you can buy them. Don't ever use those poisonous charcoals, next the most important thing is marinating the meat ! Personally for chicken I always like to marinate within yoghurt and saffron (yes saffron) they bought make the meat so tender. For meat I prefer to use more red wine . ( depends how u like your meat medium or well done or rare). I can tell u most important is u use wood and he right meat and out of all this MARINATION!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
I have been looking for a Persian style gas grill with rotisserie skewers similar to this one.
Unfortunately, the guy who sold these in LA has disappeared since, no way to contact him. His web site (http://www.kabobeque.com) is inactive. That's a pity since this grill would be the closest to perfection, kind of Set it and Forget it style.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
Why not make one? would be a nice spring project in these lock-down times. Motors can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rotisserie+motor&crid=1JACW1DNKO8MO&sprefix=rotis,aps,173&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

You can use whatever Manghal you want. Those traditional aluminum ones Iranians use are actually pretty easy to manipulate with regular tools.
I was looking for a gas manghal, similar to the one in the video. Manghals which you find in Iranian stores will last max one season. I have contacted a Chinese company in China, the said they will make one prototype and will let me know.