Best 11 of all time according to Beckbauer

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1186892/index.htm

I think this is an excellent selection.

Obviously, Beckenbauer should be added to the team, so would take out bobby moore, and replace him with Beckenbauer.

The only players (in my opinion) that are missing from his list (although I don't know who to take out) are Zidane, Uzebio, and George Best.

WHO BETTER TO NAME AN ALLTIME World Best XI than Franz Beckenbauer? Der Kaiser, 65, is the only man to have won the World Cup as a player (1974) and a coach ('90). He revolutionized the sweeper position, roaming behind the defense like a free safety in American football and pushing forward to join the attack. He won three European Cups with Bayern Munich and three NASL titles with the Cosmos. Although he would make most observers' alltime World Best XI, he graciously left himself off his list for SI. Here it is.
GOALKEEPER LEV YASHIN, SOVIET UNION Known as the Black Spider for his black outfits and what seemed like eight arms, Yashin was a remarkable shot stopper and innovator, punching difficult balls instead of catching them, ranging far from his penalty box to stop attacks and making quick throws to start counterattacks. He helped the USSR win the '56 Olympics and the '60 European championship.
RIGHT BACK CARLOS ALBERTO, BRAZIL "The best defender ever," says Beckenbauer of the captain of Brazil's '70 World Cup champions, perhaps the finest team of all time. Alberto read the game well defensively, but he also possessed refined technical skills on the ball and could serve as an additional playmaker—rare abilities at the time for a defender.
CENTER BACK BOBBY MOORE, ENGLAND The captain of the '66 World Cup winners was known for his ability to always be in the right position to make defensive plays. "He was the best center back of all time," says Beckenbauer, whose West Germany team lost to England in the '66 final.
CENTER BACK PAOLO MALDINI, ITALY He spent his entire pro career, from 1985 to 2009, with AC Milan, winning five European Cups and seven Italian championships. Maldini played the game with class and consummate skill. "He won everything possible at the club level," says Beckenbauer.
LEFT BACK GIACINTO FACCHETTI, ITALY A pioneer at left back, primarily for Inter Milan (1960--78), Facchetti was one of the first players to venture forward from his defensive spot. "He gave me the impulse to play the sweeper position in the same way," Beckenbauer says of the Italian, who won the '68 European championship and four Serie A crowns.
MIDFIELDER SIR BOBBY CHARLTON, ENGLAND One of the most famous figures in the history of Manchester United and England, Sir Bobby won the '66 World Cup and the '68 European Cup. A gifted attacker, he was also one of the first players to develop a deadly shot from outside the box.
MIDFIELDER FERENC PUSKAS, HUNGARY "He was an absolute legend, the captain and playmaker of the Hungarian team that didn't lose a match for four years," says Beckenbauer. A prolific scorer, Puskás won Olympic gold in '52 with Hungary and three European Cups with Real Madrid.
MIDFIELDER JOHAN CRUYFF, THE NETHERLANDS The epitome of Total Football, Cruyff ranged all over the field, exerting an outsized influence on the game through his speed, dribbling and passing vision. "He belongs among the five best players ever," says Beckenbauer.
FORWARD DIEGO MARADONA, ARGENTINA "He was a genius with the ball," says Der Kaiser, "and in his decade the best player in the world." No one has ever dominated a World Cup the way Maradona did in '86. He also led Argentina to the '90 World Cup final and won two Italian titles with Napoli.
FORWARD ALFREDO DI STÉFANO, ARGENTINA He never played in a World Cup, but he changed the sport as a do-everything attacker for Real Madrid, for which he won five straight European Cups in the 1950s. "His radius was over the whole field," says Der Kaiser. "The most complete player in history."
FORWARD PELÉ, BRAZIL He was the main reason Beckenbauer wanted to join the Cosmos. "The best who ever existed," says Beckenbauer of O Rei, the magician who won three World Cups with Brazil and became the most famous man on the planet.

Oct 18, 2002
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1186892/index.htm

I think this is an excellent selection.

Obviously, Beckenbauer should be added to the team, so would take out bobby moore, and replace him with Beckenbauer.

The only players (in my opinion) that are missing from his list (although I don't know who to take out) are Zidane, Uzebio, and George Best.

WHO BETTER TO NAME AN ALLTIME World Best XI than Franz Beckenbauer? Der Kaiser, 65, is the only man to have won the World Cup as a player (1974) and a coach ('90). He revolutionized the sweeper position, roaming behind the defense like a free safety in American football and pushing forward to join the attack. He won three European Cups with Bayern Munich and three NASL titles with the Cosmos. Although he would make most observers' alltime World Best XI, he graciously left himself off his list for SI. Here it is.
GOALKEEPER LEV YASHIN, SOVIET UNION Known as the Black Spider for his black outfits and what seemed like eight arms, Yashin was a remarkable shot stopper and innovator, punching difficult balls instead of catching them, ranging far from his penalty box to stop attacks and making quick throws to start counterattacks. He helped the USSR win the '56 Olympics and the '60 European championship.
RIGHT BACK CARLOS ALBERTO, BRAZIL "The best defender ever," says Beckenbauer of the captain of Brazil's '70 World Cup champions, perhaps the finest team of all time. Alberto read the game well defensively, but he also possessed refined technical skills on the ball and could serve as an additional playmaker—rare abilities at the time for a defender.
CENTER BACK BOBBY MOORE, ENGLAND The captain of the '66 World Cup winners was known for his ability to always be in the right position to make defensive plays. "He was the best center back of all time," says Beckenbauer, whose West Germany team lost to England in the '66 final.
CENTER BACK PAOLO MALDINI, ITALY He spent his entire pro career, from 1985 to 2009, with AC Milan, winning five European Cups and seven Italian championships. Maldini played the game with class and consummate skill. "He won everything possible at the club level," says Beckenbauer.
LEFT BACK GIACINTO FACCHETTI, ITALY A pioneer at left back, primarily for Inter Milan (1960--78), Facchetti was one of the first players to venture forward from his defensive spot. "He gave me the impulse to play the sweeper position in the same way," Beckenbauer says of the Italian, who won the '68 European championship and four Serie A crowns.
MIDFIELDER SIR BOBBY CHARLTON, ENGLAND One of the most famous figures in the history of Manchester United and England, Sir Bobby won the '66 World Cup and the '68 European Cup. A gifted attacker, he was also one of the first players to develop a deadly shot from outside the box.
MIDFIELDER FERENC PUSKAS, HUNGARY "He was an absolute legend, the captain and playmaker of the Hungarian team that didn't lose a match for four years," says Beckenbauer. A prolific scorer, Puskás won Olympic gold in '52 with Hungary and three European Cups with Real Madrid.
MIDFIELDER JOHAN CRUYFF, THE NETHERLANDS The epitome of Total Football, Cruyff ranged all over the field, exerting an outsized influence on the game through his speed, dribbling and passing vision. "He belongs among the five best players ever," says Beckenbauer.
FORWARD DIEGO MARADONA, ARGENTINA "He was a genius with the ball," says Der Kaiser, "and in his decade the best player in the world." No one has ever dominated a World Cup the way Maradona did in '86. He also led Argentina to the '90 World Cup final and won two Italian titles with Napoli.
FORWARD ALFREDO DI STÉFANO, ARGENTINA He never played in a World Cup, but he changed the sport as a do-everything attacker for Real Madrid, for which he won five straight European Cups in the 1950s. "His radius was over the whole field," says Der Kaiser. "The most complete player in history."
FORWARD PELÉ, BRAZIL He was the main reason Beckenbauer wanted to join the Cosmos. "The best who ever existed," says Beckenbauer of O Rei, the magician who won three World Cups with Brazil and became the most famous man on the planet.

Daei should replace Puskas:confused:

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Well he is a little nostalgic and tends to pick people from his own era disregarding players like Zidane or Michael Laudrup (my favourite of all times). Zidane was more gifted than all three of his midfielders and Laudrup could easily replace charlton and puskas. Franco Baresi played an excellent central defender. He was atleast as good as Bobby Moore. Lillian Thuram dominated the right/center back position big time. there were times that he was close to unbeatable on the ground aswell as in the air. He is easily top 4 in the world.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
The best player ever is not included in that list : Michael Laudrup
[video=youtube_share;-R5VYrSVfeM]http://youtu.be/-R5VYrSVfeM[/video]
[video=youtube_share;5oZvaN8EH00]http://youtu.be/5oZvaN8EH00[/video]

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003

CHOBEHSAFT

Bench Warmer
Aug 13, 2004
oliver kahn

frank rikard
maldini
baresi

pelatini
zidan
maradona
figo

daie(all time fifa scorer)
pele
romario

i pick this 11 beacause i seen them play except for pele....

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
oliver kahn

frank rikard
maldini
baresi

pelatini
zidan
maradona
figo

daie(all time fifa scorer)
pele
romario

i pick this 11 beacause i seen them play except for pele....
I don't know which is more ridiculous, including Daie and Romario, or excluding Beckenbauer and Cryuff

CHOBEHSAFT

Bench Warmer
Aug 13, 2004
i never seen crauf , ghisar, hahn play.....

the only reson i pick pele (i never seen him play) pele and maradona is in every ones list...

romario over 1000 goal scored

daie=more goal in national level then any body else..

oliver kahn , germany would of never made it to the 2002wc final with out him....

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and since we are discussing a subjective issue there is no right or wrong.

but here are two other sources for best of all time, and none of them include Romario, Laudrup, Messi or Daie

http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/92f_top_10_list.html

http://listverse.com/2008/12/11/top-20-football-players-of-all-time/

While the above does not prove anything, it does suggest that leaving the above mentioned is not extremely controversial
I'm sorry but looking at the sources of those lists, they don't mean much to me. A list by any respected member of ISP will mean 100x more to me than those 2.
My reason for preferring Romário over Pelé is a personal preference, but if u look at the statistics and facts it's not that far-fetched:
-World Cups: Romário participated in 2, won 1 (barely played in the other 1). Pelé participated in 4, won 3 (barely played in 1 of the 3).
-For Brazil: Romário 55 goals in 70 matches (avg 0.78), Pelé 77 goals in 92 matches (avg 0.84).
-Nr of official matches/goals at club level: Romário 691 goals in 888 matches, Pelé 643 goals in 656 matches.
-Int'l prizes (only counting important prizes): Romário 1 WC, 2 Copa America's, 1 Confederations Cup. Pelé 3 WC's.
-Club prizes (only counting important prizes): Romário 2 Brazilian league titles, 4 regional Brazilian titles, 3 Dutch league titles, 2 Dutch cups, 1 Dutch super cup, 1 Spanish league title, 1 Spanish super cup. Pelé 6 Brazilian league titles, 14 regional Brazilian titles, 2 Copa Libertadores, 2 Intercontinental Cups.

Maybe Pelé has a slight advantage in most categories, but I also consider the fact that Pelé won everything a) when football was less developed and less tough than Romário's time and b) all in Brazil, while Romário proved himself in Europe as well (although football was different back in Pele's time and it wasn't as common for players to go to Europe). So even if I called it more or less a tie I'll let my personal preference make the choice and then my choice is Romário.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
I'm sorry but looking at the sources of those lists, they don't mean much to me. A list by any respected member of ISP will mean 100x more to me than those 2.
My reason for preferring Romário over Pelé is a personal preference, but if u look at the statistics and facts it's not that far-fetched:
-World Cups: Romário participated in 2, won 1 (barely played in the other 1). Pelé participated in 4, won 3 (barely played in 1 of the 3).
-For Brazil: Romário 55 goals in 70 matches (avg 0.78), Pelé 77 goals in 92 matches (avg 0.84).
-Nr of official matches/goals at club level: Romário 691 goals in 888 matches, Pelé 643 goals in 656 matches.
-Int'l prizes (only counting important prizes): Romário 1 WC, 2 Copa America's, 1 Confederations Cup. Pelé 3 WC's.
-Club prizes (only counting important prizes): Romário 2 Brazilian league titles, 4 regional Brazilian titles, 3 Dutch league titles, 2 Dutch cups, 1 Dutch super cup, 1 Spanish league title, 1 Spanish super cup. Pelé 6 Brazilian league titles, 14 regional Brazilian titles, 2 Copa Libertadores, 2 Intercontinental Cups.

Maybe Pelé has a slight advantage in most categories, but I also consider the fact that Pelé won everything a) when football was less developed and less tough than Romário's time and b) all in Brazil, while Romário proved himself in Europe as well (although football was different back in Pele's time and it wasn't as common for players to go to Europe). So even if I called it more or less a tie I'll let my personal preference make the choice and then my choice is Romário.
You are entitled to your opinion. As you say, at the end of the day, personal preferences are what matters. In addition to Pele, I would put eusebio, George Best, and Ronaldo above Romario.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
May 9, 2004
البته خیلی دشوار است که بتوان بهترین تیم جهان را انتخاب کنیم
چون اگر یک بازیکن را انتخاب کنیم ده تای دیگر حقشان خورده می شود
دروازبان یاشین
دفاع فاگتی روبرتو کارلوس پویول ریکارد

وسط زیدان پلاتینی کرویف
خط حمله مارادونا پله مسی

در این لیستی که من انتخاب کرده ام بازیکنانی مانند ماتیوس باستن رونالدینو رونالدو لادروپ کرول باجیو گردون بانکس جورج بست بکنباور مولر بابی مور روماریو و چند بازیکن دیکر می توانند باسانی جای هر کدام از بازیکنان بالا را بجز مارادونا پله و زیدان بگیرند

Last edited:

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
I dont think anyone caught this and it seems like SI has made an error but Beckenbaur is not the only coach/ player to have won the world cup (74,90). Actually Mario Zagallo did it before him in 58,62 and coach in 70. Plus he won it once more as assistant in 94 and coached them to second place in 98.

Interesting point I wanted to share.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
i never seen crauf , ghisar, hahn play.....

the only reson i pick pele (i never seen him play) pele and maradona is in every ones list...

romario over 1000 goal scored

daie=more goal in national level then any body else..

oliver kahn , germany would of never made it to the 2002wc final with out him....
What about Ali pirezan and mayelikolang ?