Best plyers to have never won the world cup

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
The debate about Pele made me think about some of the great players who never won a world cup.

The three greatest that I can think of Cryuff, Platini and George Best. Messi is on my list too, but he is still young and playing, and so he might very well get off the list.

Who would you put on the list?

CHOBEHSAFT

Bench Warmer
Aug 13, 2004
only uruguy, italy, brazil, germany, argentina, france, spain, england has ever won the wc...u could list 100 or more great players who has never won the wc....to be consider great u need the wc in your resume....

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Baggio, Maldini, Riva, Eusebio, Puskas, Van Bastan, Raikaard, Ruud Gullit, Stoichkov, Siviori, Batistuta, Zico just from back of my head.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
Baggio, Maldini, Riva, Eusebio, Puskas, Van Bastan, Raikaard, Ruud Gullit, Stoichkov, Siviori, Batistuta, Zico just from back of my head.

My intention was to list people who are in the top 20 or 30 of all time who have never won the wc. I think Maldini, Eusebio and Puskas belong in the list. The others were great players, but not top 20 in my book. I respect your view though

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Top 20 is different from one person to another. I definately have Baggio and Riva inmy top 20 Zico and Siviori too. Riva is probably one of the most underated player ever. The guy has the best percentage goal ratio for both Azzuri and Serie A. Nobody has ever been able to come close to his ratio in Calcio . He did that with Cagliari the only southern team beside Napoli to ever win the scudetto. The guy was the main reason Italy won the Euro cup for Italy.
Plus Van Basten is one of the deadliest striker ever.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
Top 20 is different from one person to another. I definately have Baggio and Riva inmy top 20 Zico and Siviori too. Riva is probably one of the most underated player ever. The guy has the best percentage goal ratio for both Azzuri and Serie A. Nobody has ever been able to come close to his ratio in Calcio . He did that with Cagliari the only southern team beside Napoli to ever win the scudetto. The guy was the main reason Italy won the Euro cup for Italy.
Plus Van Basten is one of the deadliest striker ever.
no arguement with anything you wrote here, but neither makes my top 20

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
aw so true..In Messi thread I also named Giggs as a player who havent won anything wt Wales bc they havent even qualified to WC! As Wenger once said,which is along these lines: "u have no choice of which nationality ur born with, its what u achieve at ur club that should determine ur talent compare to ur peers from other countries."

CHOBEHSAFT

Bench Warmer
Aug 13, 2004
first list your top 22 players of all time base on poseition they play in basicly u get 2 per position..here is my top 5 of all time

1.maradona
2.pele
3.zidane
4.pelatini
5.hugo sanchez
out of this 5 /2 have not won the wc

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
I try to classify the players according to their post and the year
pre war 1930-1938

Goal keepers:
1)ricardo zamora (spain),the best goalkeeper of all time, spain and real madrid
2)frantisek planika(republik chechoslavakia) midfielders:1)alex james(scotland-1930)
2)monti(italia-1920-1930)

forward:1)leonidas 1938-brasil(first player who invent bicycle kick..nickname,black diamond
2)nejedly(1934-chekoslavakia)
: 3)bloomer(england 1900)
4)peucelle(argentina 1930)

DEFENDERS:

1)eddie hapgood(1930,arsenal player)
2)johnny carey (1940,manu)
3)millutin ikovich(1930-34.yougoslavia)
4)jacinto quinoces(1934,real madrid,spain)
5)domingues daguias(flamengo,brasil 1930)
6)paul janes(germany 1934,dusseldorf)

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
This thread is very funny, names coming from every direction and I helping it. There it go
Meazza, Di Stefano, Zarra, Greaves, Ali Daei, Ostad Asadi, Ahmadinejat, president of Bolivia...

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
[video=youtube;PvVM52pc5v4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvVM52pc5v4[/video]

this the video of tthe legendary striker of brasil,LEONIDAS DA SILVA,the one who invented the BICYCLE KICK....in world cup 1938.....he is the one who was eligible to win the world cup in 1938,but a great mistake by his coach in semifinal (due to overconfidence to brasilerian players, caused them a big loss to italy )he substituted leonidas in the semi final game against italy,(just to give him some rest and keep him ready for the final game!!),so they lost 2-1 in semifinal to italy and he could not raise the world cup over his shoulder...after this event,the brasilian goverment AZAYE OOMOOMI DAR BRAZIL ELAM KARD...then world war 2 began,and leonidas dar hasrate jaam mand.......

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
zamora_ricardo.jpg

this is the picture of RICARDO ZAMORA,the best goalkeeper of all time of spain and real madrid ,this picture belong to 1934, after spain succeded to beat brasil 3-1 in italy,he was much better than iker casillas,remon garcia ,arconada and other real madrid goal keepers...in quarterfinal,he had to play against italy,althogh his hand broke during the match,and they lost the game 1-0 to italy,but he did a great job and with a broken hand saved 7 goals for spain...(remember on those days there was no player exchange!!!!! unless something extraordinary happened,although spanish coach could exchange him,but he preferrd to play till the end!!!!!!!with a broken hand!!!!!!!!