• X Games

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
aehm..maybe because Rugby is a bit different than American Football? :D

this is like saying "hey..MJ couldn't make it in Baseball...Basketball must be the most girlish sport ever! The Red Sox would kill any NBA team.." :D

Have you ever watched a rugby game? You come up with talks about muscles and physics.....
So in Canada only Football rejects play Rugby? Great! In Europe every retired football player who can't even shoot straight, tries to become a kicker in NFL...what exactly is your point?

Jan 31, 2004
westwienmaskulin said:
aehm..maybe because Rugby is a bit different than American Football? :D

this is like saying "hey..MJ couldn't make it in Baseball...Basketball must be the most girlish sport ever! The Red Sox would kill any NBA team.." :D

Have you ever watched a rugby game? You come up with talks about muscles and physics.....
So in Canada only Football rejects play Rugby? Great! In Europe every retired football player who can't even shoot straight, tries to become a kicker in NFL...what exactly is your point?
Holy crap !....I give up! someone else on this side of atlantic please explain it to these guys, Beware - I think they just wanna argue...

Buddy,
baseball-basketball is not the same as Football-rugby. Football and Rugby both are games requiring very strong physics, speed, heavy contact, have almost the same scoring system and etc.....
The difference is that Football is centuries ahead of rugby in its concepts and strategy and light years ahead in its physical element.

Baseball and basketball have nothing to do with eachother. Plus wasn't it you that brought up the fact that when it comes down to physicall play rugby is better tha football !?!? I think you are confusing yourself now.

Let me explain it this way: If Jamal lewis decided to switch his sport from Football to Rugby, within a year, he would become one of the best, if not the best rugby player in the world, where as the best rugby players in the world could not make it even on a collage team.

And yes, In high school here, as part of curriculums, I got to play all sports including rugby. I also followed and watch the world cups and the former five nation tournaments on regular basis in the past. All that until I discovered NFL football at high levels.

By the way, a kicker or punter is known and technicaly considered only a kicker and not a Football player.

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
MoneyJock-e said:
or if they knew that running backs, safties or corner backs like Jerome Bettis, Roy Williams, Jamal Lewis, Ladanian Tomlinson, Rodney Harrison,... at close to 300 pounds of sheer muscle who can run 40 meters at around 4.5 seconds can run through the entire Australian Rugby team killing 6 players on their way while being able to memorize a whole play book the night before they wouldn't even dare to compare rugby to football in any shape or form.
OK, first of all I prefer the NFL greatly over rugby but other than Bettis, none of the players you listed come close to 300 lbs and Bettis does not come close to running a 4.5 40yds (not meters).

Tomlinson- 220 lbs
J. Lewis- 230 lbs
Williams- 235 lbs
Harrison- 220 lbs
Bettis- 255 lbs

And about these guys having to memorize an entire playbook on Saturday night...please :rolleyes: These guys are dumber than a box of rocks.

Jan 31, 2004
Arsenal said:
OK, first of all I prefer the NFL greatly over rugby but other than Bettis, none of the players you listed come close to 300 lbs and Bettis does not come close to running a 4.5 40yds (not meters).

Tomlinson- 220 lbs
J. Lewis- 230 lbs
Williams- 235 lbs
Harrison- 220 lbs
Bettis- 255 lbs

And about these guys having to memorize an entire playbook on Saturday night...please :rolleyes: These guys are dumber than a box of rocks.

First of all I can give you guys that are closer to 300 pounds if you prefer, Not gonna change anything.

Second,
Oh, Oh, you made a big poo poo !

NFL selects almost exclusively out of collage and university ranks. The minimum requirements are 3 years completion. The only sport requiring such qualifications. Why do you think that is ?

Even though these players experience a lot of favouritism, still the major reason for NFL teams selecting players out of collages and universities is that these players need to be able to read, understand and follow complex strategies, instructions, trainings, etc....

In other words, unlike soccer or rugby, you can not be some 'bisavad e amaleh' from some village in Mashhad or honduras, and make it as a big time professional super star in NFL !

Some justifiably believe that football players are the smartest of professional team athletes!
so once again we witnessed talking without knowing.

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
MoneyJock-e said:
First of all I can give you guys that are closer to 300 pounds if you prefer, Not gonna change anything.

Second,

Oh, Oh, you made a big poo poo !

NFL selects almost exclusively out of collage and university ranks. The minimum requirements are 3 years completion. The only sport requiring such qualifications. Why do you think that is ?

Even though these players experience a lot of favouritism, still the major reason for NFL teams selecting players out of collages and universities is that these players need to be able to read, understand and follow complex strategies, instructions, trainings, etc....

In other words, unlike soccer or rugby, you can not be some 'bisavad e amaleh' from some village in Mashhad or honduras, and make it as a big time professional super star in NFL !

Some justifiably believe that football players are the smartest of professional team athletes!
so once again we witnessed talking without knowing.
Ok, then give me some 300 pounders who run 4.5.....
and as far as your second point, c'mon man. you know as well as I do that 3 years at some blow job state university doesn't amount to shite (Dexter Manley...that guy couldn't even read, or LT....you think this guy is smart? :D)

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
Arsenal is right. Money is exaggerating a lot of things. Not even the coaches have the entire playbook memorized. We said it's a complex game, but it aint no rocket science either. These guys get 4 years in high school, 4 years in college and also usually their rookie year to work on memorizing the plays (although they are more complex at NFL level), and they still sometimes manage to mess things up during the game.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
MoneyJock-e said:
Buddy,
baseball-basketball is not the same as Football-rugby. Football and Rugby both are games requiring very strong physics, speed, heavy contact, have almost the same scoring system and etc.....
Rugby doesn't necessary need THAT strong physics. Lomu, Michalak, Wilkinson, etc. are/were among the greatest Rugby players in the world, but non of them is/was really Hulk. This actually proves my point that you have probably never played/watched Rugby your whole life(which you apparently deny). There's no stopping and "first down, second down BS" in Rugby, the team is built quite different with centers, fly halfs etc., all players are involved in attack and defense and no special teams included. Plus, given that you are not allowed to pass forward, it requires a lot more teamwork, usage of space, strategy and active movement from everyone on the field. In fact Rugby resembels even more football than American Football.

Baseball and basketball have nothing to do with eachother.
eh?? no shit! but here's the news....rugby and american football have also little to do with each other. In fact rugby has as much to do with american football as baseball and cricket....or maybe even MUCH less.

Plus wasn't it you that brought up the fact that when it comes down to physicall play rugby is better tha football !?!? I think you are confusing yourself now.
hm?

Let me explain it this way: If Jamal lewis decided to switch his sport from Football to Rugby, within a year, he would become one of the best, if not the best rugby player in the world, where as the best rugby players in the world could not make it even on a collage team.
What is your assumption based on? Can you name the world's current best rugby player? On which position exactly would he be the best? Flyhalf, Centre, Lock, Wing, Fullback?

And yes, In high school here, as part of curriculums, I got to play all sports including rugby. I also followed and watch the world cups and the former five nation tournaments on regular basis in the past. All that until I discovered NFL football at high levels.
So you played Rugby before you discovered American Football, while living in NA? :)

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
FYI, Canada is probably one of the crapiest nations playing rugby so your example saying NFL rejects play rugby for canada to put down rugby is not a good example. Last time All Blacks(that's was their b team) played canada they beat them by over 90 points margin that's like losing with more than 10 goals in soccer.

Before you get aggerssive again read other posts, nobodys putting down Grid Iron we are simply stating our preference and why we prefer that sport.

West bro, Lomu is actually a very big boy. He is 194 and when he is fit he is over 110 kgs but you are correct about what positions you play. You are a first five eigth you should not be too big. Forwards are usually bigger than the backs and backs are faster and fitter than the forwards and have more skills specially in halfback, flyhalf centre.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
JazzedUp said:
West bro, Lomu is actually a very big boy. He is 194 and when he is fit he is over 110 kgs but you are correct about what positions you play. You are a first five eigth you should not be too big. Forwards are usually bigger than the backs and backs are faster and fitter than the forwards and have more skills specially in halfback, flyhalf centre.
Is he?

well..he looked smaller to me on TV...I usually don't check out players height and stats...but ok..you should be right.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
I cant believe some of you are comparing Rugby to NFL. Its like comparing my High School soccer team to Real Madrid... Im not gonna even try and sit here and break down the two because its ridiculously obvious...

If you want a fast 300 pounder, try James Lee at the Combine 2 years ago... Hes a 330 lb Defensive Tackle that ran the 40 yard dash in 4.87 seconds.... Oh and the combine track is known as a very slow track...

Get out of here with ur Rugby crap, next thing you are gonna tell me is that Hide and go seek is a better and more athletic sport than basketball...

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
AliDaeiClone said:
I cant believe some of you are comparing Rugby to NFL. Its like comparing my High School soccer team to Real Madrid... Im not gonna even try and sit here and break down the two because its ridiculously obvious...

If you want a fast 300 pounder, try James Lee at the Combine 2 years ago... Hes a 330 lb Defensive Tackle that ran the 40 yard dash in 4.87 seconds.... Oh and the combine track is known as a very slow track...

Get out of here with ur Rugby crap, next thing you are gonna tell me is that Hide and go seek is a better and more athletic sport than basketball...
have you ever seen a rugby game? can you name 10 rugby players, 3 rugby tournaments, what which player is supposed to do? Can you tell us which 6 countries play at the 6-Nations, who is currently leading, and 6 leading Rugby countries?

(I could name at least 10 QBs, 5 RBs, 6 WCs etc. and what they got to do, I could also name at least 5 college football "bowls", therefore I can claim that I'm at least allowed to talk a bit about american football)

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
westwienmaskulin said:
have you ever seen a rugby game? can you name 10 rugby players, 3 rugby tournaments, what which player is supposed to do? Can you tell us which 6 countries play at the 6-Nations, who is currently leading, and 6 leading Rugby countries?

(I could name at least 10 QBs, 5 RBs, 6 WCs etc. and what they got to do, I could also name at least 5 college football "bowls", therefore I can claim that I'm at least allowed to talk a bit about american football)
6-Nations are Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France, England, Italy and I think Ireland is leading at the moment, but I could be wrong...

Other major countries for Rugby are New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa

10 players (not sure if still playing)
Jonny Wilkerson
Tim Horan
Jonah Lomu
Adam Byrnes
Wendell Sailor
Owen Finegan
Simon Kasprowicz
Scott Fava
Darren Murphy
Ben Batger

I can also describe most of the positions although i might get a few of the names wrong, but honestly what is the point, you will just say i found it on the net or some crap...

Ive watched both Rugby and Australian rules Football... and trust me, compared to the NFL both are prehistoric and rudamentry... NFL players would run over them like school children...

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
AliDaeiClone said:
6-Nations are Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France, England, Italy and I think Ireland is leading at the moment, but I could be wrong...

Other major countries for Rugby are New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa

10 players (not sure if still playing)
Jonny Wilkerson
Tim Horan
Jonah Lomu
Adam Byrnes
Wendell Sailor
Owen Finegan
Simon Kasprowicz
Scott Fava
Darren Murphy
Ben Batger

I can also describe most of the positions although i might get a few of the names wrong, but honestly what is the point, you will just say i found it on the net or some crap...

Ive watched both Rugby and Australian rules Football... and trust me, compared to the NFL both are prehistoric and rudamentry... NFL players would run over them like school children...

fine...at least you have seen the game and know some stuff..

but let's just say we disagree on the rest, ok? :)

the whole issue of "They would run over blabla" is just like saying Linkin Park are better than Depeche Mode and would outplay them at any concert...just because incidentaly both play guitars and keyboards.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
westwienmaskulin said:
fine...at least you have seen the game and know some stuff..

but let's just say we disagree on the rest, ok? :)

the whole issue of "They would run over blabla" is just like saying Linkin Park are better than Depeche Mode and would outplay them at any concert...just because incidentaly both play guitars and keyboards.
Jeez... You are horrible at analogies... Music is a lot more subjective than sports... You take a group of the best and most athletic NFL players and a group of the best and most athletic rugby players... I guarantee you the NFL players would do a HELL of a lot better playing Rugby than vice versa... The NFL players are faster, stronger, quicker, and more agile...

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
Arsenal said:
Jebus....and I thought we on this side of the pond were the only ones who have had to suffer! I guess you guys did take the brunt of Oasis, so i guess it all balances out.
hey..nothing against Oasis!

Definetly Maybe, What's the Story? Morning Glory, Be Here Now and The Masterplan are among the best albums ever done..

oasis are pure genius....at least Noel Gallagher is.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
AliDaeiClone said:
Jeez... You are horrible at analogies... Music is a lot more subjective than sports... You take a group of the best and most athletic NFL players and a group of the best and most athletic rugby players... I guarantee you the NFL players would do a HELL of a lot better playing Rugby than vice versa... The NFL players are faster, stronger, quicker, and more agile...
baba har joor rahatee! you claim I have horrible analogies, while your "facts" and "theory" are based on assumptions...and what could be if...
fine..I can live with it.better said...I'm simply too tired for further discussion, specially as it feels like in Kafka's Trial.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
AliDaeiClone said:

4.87 it's like doing a 100 sprint in about 13-14 seconds. Again I don't want to compare sports but most rugby players can manage that no problem and they do it week in week out! Doug Howlet and Joe Rockocko all black wingers both do 100 metres sprint in just over 10 secs. Don't believe me go check it on the net. Also guys like Goege Smith and Jeremy Paul have very good speed eventhough they are Flanker and Prop. My point is I think most players if they switch code would perform not that greatly as I think they are very different sports.
All I have said before I don't like Grid Iron and stated the reasons why! I don't see why you have bash the other sports. So you like NFL doesnt mean Rugby is crap or vice versa

AliDaeiClone said:
What's your guarantee based on? Correct me if I'm wroing but you simply think NFL players are better than rugby based watching couple Rugby or Aussie Rules games. Again I'm not saying whois better but it's very strong statement to make if you have nothing to back it up. There are always discussions regarding Rugby and Rugby League as well again it's very difficult to say which one is stronger eventhough they are far more similar to each other than Grid Iron and Rugby.

PS AlidaieClone mate, it shows how much you know about Rugby when you put Aussie Rules and Rugby in the same bracket. Aussie Rules is very a different game to Rugby or Grid Iron. Although I find it exteremly boring the players are very fit and strong (strong for their size) but I just can't stand the game. Again I think it's very cultural. They are only 2 countries that play it Ireland (round ball) and Australia so I suppose if you are not grown up with this game then you won't like it.