Best Wrestler of all times

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Well i am watching wrestling for over 3 decades, i have seen the best wrestle, our own Movahed just like that american genius John Smith, or great soviet wrestlers such as Arsen Fadzaev and the Beloglazov brothers...but if i had to pick one single wrestler to name the best of all times it would be Buvaisar Saitiev. A russian wrestler of Chechen background has been unmatched in everything he has done and everything he has achieved. His nickname was "The Worm". It was close to impossible to beat this guy with anything. He was technically completely superior to his opponents, he was the most tenacious wrestler i have every seen on the mat, he was the most intelligent and most durable fighter and wrestler i have ever seen until today. He is basically the Michael Jordan of freestyle wrestling. As he stepped down and retired back in 2008, it was probably the biggest loss for this sport in history of wrestling.

[video=youtube;4H4j9BbyfLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H4j9BbyfLw[/video]

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
And this is the best of all of those compilations

[video=youtube;qc2PRqR4kXk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc2PRqR4kXk[/video]

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
This is the closest one of our wrestlers came to him. Hajizadeh from Mazandaran lost 5-3 to saitiev and put up a good fight. In 74 kilo we had people like Momeni, Habibi...who were pretty much completely dast o paa baste against this genius of a wrestler.

[video=youtube;1TZEI29fmiI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZEI29fmiI[/video]

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Absolutely. He belongs to top 5 and he was a fine character too. I still think Saitiev was the best wrestler of all times followed by Arsen Fadzaev. After these two, there came great wrestlers like Beloglazov, Movahed, Yordanov, Smith.

Here a soundless compilation of Arsen Fadzaev

[video=youtube;sFM0NR07ivU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFM0NR07ivU[/video]

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Absolutely. He belongs to top 5 and he was a fine character too. I still think Saitiev was the best wrestler of all times followed by Arsen Fadzaev. After these two, there came great wrestlers like Beloglazov, Movahed, Yordanov, Smith.

Here a soundless compilation of Arsen Fadzaev

[video=youtube;sFM0NR07ivU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFM0NR07ivU[/video]
There was also this amazing Russian wrestler who was at 96 kg ... Won multiple golds in the row and Mohebi had always problem with him, Do you remember the name ??
I have been trying to remember the name ...

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I could be wrong but Mohebi brothers never wrestled in 96 kilo as far as i know. Infact i am pretty sure there was no 96 kilo cathegory back then. I remember Hassan to wrestle in 90 kilo and Hossein in 82 kilo. In 90 kilo though i remember Hassan Mohebi always having problems with Khadartsev of russia.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Now that we talk about wrestlers the iranians had problems with then i immediatly have to think of both Schulz brothers from USA. Whoever we iranians lined up against Schulz always seem to wet himself even before the match. We had a guy names Isa Momeni and another foul potato named Allah Morad zarrini. Momeni was the better of those two and managed to win a bout against one of the Schultz brothers, but in general those two guys lost several times against Schultz brothers. and i remember the iranian media started a shameful anti-american campaign daemonizing Schullz as a dirty wrestler. He was not dirty at all though. He -like all american wrestlers- was simply physically strong and superior to all those guys we had to offer in those cathegories and whenever they lost to the Schultz they complained about his tough, hard and illegal head locks and arm locks and stuff which was a joke as if wrestling was kind of a curling. Yak moosh morde baazi haai dar miaavordan harvaght be Schulz mibaakhtan...

Last edited by a moderator:

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
I could be wrong but Mohebi brothers never wrestled in 96 kilo as far as i know. Infact i am pretty sure there was no 96 kilo cathegory back then. I remember Hassan to wrestle in 90 kilo and Hossein in 82 kilo. In 90 kilo though i remember Hassan Mohebi always having problems with Khadartsev of russia.
You are 100% correct and that is the guy I was talking about. In his prime, he was so dominate ...

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
In his prime Khadartsev was a force and dominated the 90 kilo cathegory at will. However he missed the right time to retire. At the end of his carrer he had a couple of losses against up and coming iranian wrestlers such as rasool khaadem and abbas jadidi.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
The dude was a monster and the Russians usually have one or two excellent wrestlers and usually Russians are good at the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions if I am not mistaken. I'll throw in an Iranian wrestler and an American in my top five as well Jadidi of Iran and not Kurt Angle because that is too easy and I think there was one American wrestler better than Angle, Rulon Gardner. I also like him because he is much more humble than Angle.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Great post. I love wrestling and have to say its too bad I have not been able to follow it more closely. Since we are talking about the best of all time I would combine Greco Roman and Free style and come up with Krelin as the greatest ever. There is absolutely no one in history that has been do dominant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Karelin

3 Olympic gold medals and last a silver lost by controversy
9 world championship gold medals
12 golds in European championships

Went 13 years without being defeated and 6 years without giving a a single point ( How crazy is that)

Has lost only twice in his life

BTW our own Sourian with 9 gold medals in second to him on the all time goal medal list. He will not watch up to him but its a huge honor still. Sourian has 1 Olympic gold even though he was the favorite in 2008 but lost in an upset.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Yeah, Karlin was indeed the most dominant wrestler ever but i dont mix up freestyle and greco roman. Greco-Roman is not as exciting as Freestyle. Good bouts are only being seen in light weights and few ones in middle weights. Its really no match to the excitement of freestyle. Karlin was actually physically something out of this world. In the last weight cathegory, 99% of wrestlers are just fat guys pushing themselves around while Karlin was the only one who looked like the greek god Adonis being all muscle. All his bouts were completely one sided and boring. He destroyed them all without much of a hustle and he didnt even have to give it all.

There fore, if i had the opportunity to watch a bout of Saitiev or one of Karlin, i wouldnt hesitate a second and take the Saitiev bout. The guy simply didnt have a weakness and his weight cathegory is always the most crowded and the most difficult to be in. I have never seen a guy who could get out of ANY given situation. Whenever you thought now the other guy has him by his balls, he came on top and forced the his opponent into a defensive mode.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Btw, one of the better iranian wrestler was Alireza Dabir. I liked him, he was a technician and reminded me of the old iranian wrestlers who traditionally were good "zir gir". I never forget one bout of him against one of the biggest motherfuckers i have ever seen on the mat that american Terry Brands. A terrible, angry guy, unfair and sometimes really careless about the health of his opponent. I remember i never cheered more for an iranian wrestler as i did for Dabir against this motherfucker. Here is the bout

[video=youtube;SirZXG2lN7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirZXG2lN7w[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Great post. I love wrestling and have to say its too bad I have not been able to follow it more closely. Since we are talking about the best of all time I would combine Greco Roman and Free style and come up with Krelin as the greatest ever. There is absolutely no one in history that has been do dominant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Karelin

3 Olympic gold medals and last a silver lost by controversy
9 world championship gold medals
12 golds in European championships

Went 13 years without being defeated and 6 years without giving a a single point ( How crazy is that)

Has lost only twice in his life

BTW our own Sourian with 9 gold medals in second to him on the all time goal medal list. He will not watch up to him but its a huge honor still. Sourian has 1 Olympic gold even though he was the favorite in 2008 but lost in an upset.
Of course I remember that match when he lost to Rulon Gardner he was great I forgot about him. That match was contraversial but Gardner was no slouch himself I think he retired after he got bronze in the next Olympics. Smart move he didn't want to tarnish what he built and one gold plus one bronze is not too bad. It should have honestly been Silver the Americans are the beneficiary of a lot of good calls. Hell Jadidi should have beaten Angle but I remember he got jobbed by the refs that is why Olympics are so jacked up and corrupt. Remember the fiasco between Russian and French judges swamping golds for ice dancing and something else I forgot. I remember Roy Jones getting jobbed against the Korean in Seoul 88 and those dirty African judges got banned. These things happen in Olympic sports and usually countries like Iran get the shaft because they are not the big dog country like USA or Russia.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
v
Btw, one of the better iranian wrestler was Alireza Dabir. I liked him, he was a technician and reminded me of the old iranian wrestlers who traditionally were good "zir gir". I never forget one bout of him against one of the biggest motherfuckers i have ever seen on the mat that american Terry Brands. A terrible, angry guy, unfair and sometimes really careless about the health of his opponent. I remember i never cheered more for an iranian wrestler as i did for Dabir against this motherfucker. Here is the bout

[video=youtube;SirZXG2lN7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirZXG2lN7w[/video]
I remember Dabir and that match it was a good one Terry Brands got punked hard by the tactician and I watched the video again that was a good one. Good memories from that.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone remember Mark Schultz 84 gold vs Japan's Hideyuki Nagashima. Then in that same tourney he dominated a Turkish wrestler as well.
He wrestled Irooni style.
[video=youtube;4nTjBUmt308]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTjBUmt308[/video]

Last edited: