British EU Referendum 23rd June Results - Brexit or Remain

Nov 29, 2002
So far Gibraltar has voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU.

Other results pending.

This referendum will have a huge impact on the global economy. Wall street is on tenderhooks.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
It does not really matter. does it! They referendum is not binding.
if the government decides to listen to a possible leave vote
they have at least two years to negotiate an exit agreement which may even be extended

by which time they might just reverse the whole thing.

Nov 29, 2002
You are absolutely right the referendum is not binding, but if brexit wins the markets will go into absolute turmoil. they are very sensitive to this kind of thing. Have a look to the US to see how nervous Wall Street is at the moment!

And let alone, it initiates a domino effect for other countries in europe to have referendums (Netherlands, Denmark etc...)

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
spat morning coffee in my cup and on the screen, my first thought..........the old hecking kingdom torn apart now, :) .... brits must apply for a divorce from Brussels, wot packers!

I love it, this is the end of the fucking beautiful dreams of a european federalism that would be controlled by the hawks of Brussels. Europe goes back to more of free trade agreements, the old FTA as it was initially.
And of course there will be yet another Scottish independence vote, the result of the overwhelming majority of Brussels in Scotland means "the Scots place is in the EU".

Feb 4, 2005
Seems like Scotland think about another referendum as they want to remain in EU and Northern Ireland may talk to Republic to join as one so they can stay too.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I don't think we can mix up in the short term with the long term.

we know there were going to be short term ramifications. most folks think there will be at least some medium term economic losses for the UK.

but really long term (Ten years or longer ) nobody knows what this would mean.

people all through out the world are angry about globalization. and they just cant do anything about it.

they end of in voting for people like Trump or Tea Party or blah balh party in the UK or Netherlands to show it.

one thing is for sure the Media that is owned by corporate tycoons will spin this in a way where it favors their bosses.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Seems like Scotland think about another referendum as they want to remain in EU and Northern Ireland may talk to Republic to join as one so they can stay too.
Nicola Sturgeon can feck off. Two years ago they had a referendum in which their people voted to stay in the UK. Now the UK has democratically decided to leave the EU as one nation. They should just accept it. They can't threaten a new referendum every time they don't like something.

As for NI joining the Republic, trust me, that will never happen. There will be bloodshed like those of the 70s and the 80s. There are people in NI who are deeply Unionist and consider themselves more British than Irish and they are the majority.

Nov 29, 2002
Saddest day for Britain.
From a personal level - So many of my friends who are irish/italian/french, talented doctors, engineers, biotech, city etc.... so many of them are now looking to leave the country.

From a born and bred brit level -

If scotland leaves as they now have the mandate for another referendum, then we lose one of the only balancing acts to the backward swathes of "little england" (the only other saviours being london, liverpool and manchester). We now have a very very fractured country.

hameh chi rah beh bad dadan, for what? Are fears about some bloody immigrants more important than the economy or the union of the kingdom?

I travelled to london for a conference today and it was gloomy, the doctors in my conference could not believe it.

Lots of people will be laughing at UK now because of what britain has done to other countries over the last two centuries. But don't forget that other countries will suffer more from the net economic cost (developing countries, east asia etc...). Japan's stock market CLOSED because of brexit, at least FTSE stayed open. The global economic ramifications will be dire for poorer countries, and economists are already forecasting this...