British EU Referendum 23rd June Results - Brexit or Remain

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I voted leave because I do not believe in big central government making decisions on behalf of people with whom they have no connection.
So you are also for Scottish independence then? because it's exactly the same thing.

London will be a great financial city, even greater after Brexit.
Sure, just that they will not be dealing in Euros anymore, which was a big chunk of the trade and therefore will be less attractive to most foreign financial institutions, because being part of the EU was part of the reason London was attractive in the first place.

People will still be wanting to come to these shores for work and for living a better life. In fact if anything, I bet the freedom from the EU will be a catalyst for many more to come.
Of course, just as Iranians also move to Hungary for a better life. Doesn't mean Hungary is great though.

The long terms is what matters
In the long term, we're all dead.

As for our children, I am sure Brexit will save them the burden of debt from countries such as Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland and anyone else whose economy hits rock bottom in the EU. Again, wait and see.
As long as the UK wouldn't be part of the monetary union, they also wouldn't need to worry about any of the debts of Greece, Spain, Portugal etc. except if their banks were heavily investing in those countries. But the debt wouldn't be the UKs, you don't have the Euro.

As for the EU funds going to places like Wales, where do you think the money came from in the first place? Does the EU have a money tree? No, the EU gets far more than that from the UK and then distributes it, having wasted much of it on pencil pushers and fat-cat bureaucrats.

Come on, some basic knowledge of economics please. posting links to the leftist Guardian is not good enough.
Well, for what it's worth, now it will have to come from the UK and UK only. Good luck.

As said, not that I care too much about Brexit as it doesn't affect me and if a country that lives off the tertiary sector thinks that it's a great idea to get rid of an economic union that provides the country with loads of jobs because of that, then I say Godspeed and good luck, please leave! But all of the stuff you mentioned is simply not true and not part of the real world. The best case scenario for the UK would be if they come up with bilateral agreements with EU countries that give them the same benefits as now without the bad parts of bureaucracy and what not. But the question is, why would anyone in the EU feel like doing this?

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
Dr. you are rushing to conclusions. There are lots of prediction for doom and gloom and I am quite confident that they will not materialise. London will be a great financial city, even greater after Brexit. People will still be wanting to come to these shores for work and for living a better life. In fact if anything, I bet the freedom from the EU will be a catalyst for many more to come.

There is time, don't rush. The long terms is what matters, not the short term drop in the value of pound sterling.

As for our children, I am sure Brexit will save them the burden of debt from countries such as Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland and anyone else whose economy hits rock bottom in the EU. Again, wait and see.

As for the EU funds going to places like Wales, where do you think the money came from in the first place? Does the EU have a money tree? No, the EU gets far more than that from the UK and then distributes it, having wasted much of it on pencil pushers and fat-cat bureaucrats.

Come on, some basic knowledge of economics please. posting links to the leftist Guardian is not good enough.
Look Behrooz, this is what i am saying all the time. All these guys who are criticizing you here are people who are clearly for more power for international corporates, more liberalization of money flow processes and on and on. All these guys do have similar interests as you and yet you are against the EU and they are for it! I fear those guys are acting a bit more reasonable. I am against the EU because it clearly weakens the national governments, it clearly works for the interests of corporates and banks. All in all i am for more regulations of markets rather than just opening the field to all kind of wolves and excuse it with liberality and BS stuff like this. EU is making sure corporates tell governments what to do and i dont like it and therefor i am against it. I am sure if more countries would decide to get out of this mess, if governments would have enough power to set limitation to wolfish corporates, it would benefit the majority of people and not only the 1% at the top of the pyramid. Right now the profit of Banks and Corps. are privatized but their losses are put on the shoulder of tax payers! No government lets a bank go bankrupt, they borrow them milliards of euros just in order to keep a rotten and corrupt bank a life which means the tax payer pays for a corrupt and bankrupt to stay a life but the same rotten institution once helped and made healthy, works against the benefit of the same tax payers who helped them get a life.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Mehdi,
Yes, I am fully in favour of Scotland going independent if that's what their people vote. I am afraid, I am also in favour the Kurds and the Azeri's going their own way, IF that's what they want. You can not keep people in a union by force. That's tyranny.

On the EU issue we differ fundamentally. The EU is made up of 27 countries, but we all know that only 6 make the important decisions that affect the rest, and even then, they do it to please Germany. Time and again. This is highly undemocratic in my view. I have no problem with trade and economic union. What I object to is political Union. They were talking about a European army even, which to me does not guarantee peace but is like a red rag to a bull, with Russia on the door step.

I have not heard a convincing argument why we need an EU parliament with non-elected heads who earn thousands and thousands each week to make decisions which effect the little guy. I can't understand the need for it, specially when it legislates on issues that are completely irrelevant to it.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Mehdi,
Yes, I am fully in favour of Scotland going independent if that's what their people vote. I am afraid, I am also in favour the Kurds and the Azeri's going their own way, IF that's what they want. You can not keep people in a union by force. That's tyranny.
Good, we both agree then on this. (Same thoughts btw.)

On the EU issue we differ fundamentally. The EU is made up of 27 countries, but we all know that only 6 make the important decisions that affect the rest, and even then, they do it to please Germany. Time and again. This is highly undemocratic in my view. I have no problem with trade and economic union. What I object to is political Union. They were talking about a European army even, which to me does not guarantee peace but is like a red rag to a bull, with Russia on the door step.
I also actually agree with you there. The political union and even more the monetary union have been semi disastrous decisions. If the EU was some kind of Switzerland, a trade union with Kanton like members and a rotating governing body (which to a degree would be in place but anyway) then it would be much better off and more popular. I wouldn't however worry too much about the European army though since it would end up being NATO without the US and Turkey and not much different.

I have not heard a convincing argument why we need an EU parliament with non-elected heads who earn thousands and thousands each week to make decisions which effect the little guy. I can't understand the need for it, specially when it legislates on issues that are completely irrelevant to it.
Which I also agree with. The remain group did a terrible job selling the EU and making any convincing argument why the UK should stay in. That said, Farage and Johnson just came up with lies and had no obvious plan on what to do if the referendum wins, just like no one else did. There are many arguments for and against the EU and remaining or leaving, but no one really pulled it off and no political leader in the UK made a strong argument for remaining and telling people the truth about consequences both ways.