Canada to introduce "super visa" for parents

Oct 18, 2002
Very good decision. Now instead of having to apply for immigration, parents can get longer term visas to visit their children in Canada, without imposing any financial burden for medical insurance on Canadian taxpayers. This should ease the family immigration backlog as well.

Overall I think Jason Kenney has made very positive changes to immigration policies in recent years on issues that no one before him dared touching, including the limit on the number and types of applications in order to reduce the backlog, giving priority to those already in Canada on student or work visa etc. All very sound policies.

[h=1]Ottawa to introduce ‘super visa’ for parents, grandparents of immigrants[/h]

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
It is a very good option for those who are not willing to wait that long to come for visit. The only problem is the insurance coverage while they are here.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
They should do this in the States too instead of having a bunch of Iranian senior citizens that are well off getting $800 a month and Medical and other freebies after coming here every 6 months for 5 years and fucking up their kids marriages. I have heard so many horror stories regarding this constant coming and going.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Very good decision. Now instead of having to apply for immigration, parents can get longer term visas to visit their children in Canada, without imposing any financial burden for medical insurance on Canadian taxpayers. This should ease the family immigration backlog as well.

Overall I think Jason Kenney has made very positive changes to immigration policies in recent years on issues that no one before him dared touching, including the limit on the number and types of applications in order to reduce the backlog, giving priority to those already in Canada on student or work visa etc. All very sound policies.

[h=1]Ottawa to introduce ‘super visa’ for parents, grandparents of immigrants[/h]
oh great decision! As long as they can get visa, there'd be no need for immigration. when technically they'll just add up to already-aging Canadian population.
Although at some point, in recent years, they literally stopped giving visa to many older parents..specially in the last 3 yrs for Iranians. hope this changes with new legislation.

It is a very good option for those who are not willing to wait that long to come for visit. The only problem is the insurance coverage while they are here.
yeah that'd be expensive but there are many insurance companies and banks who'd love to cover that!! helps canadian economy and reduces burden on free-health care too!

Jul 28, 2007
They should do this in the States too instead of having a bunch of Iranian senior citizens that are well off getting $800 a month and Medical and other freebies after coming here every 6 months for 5 years and fucking up their kids marriages. I have heard so many horror stories regarding this constant coming and going.
hahahaha just happened to a distant cousine. spoke with the guy he was almost crying.

Oct 18, 2002
Wow the details are coming out...

A two-year moratorium on new sponsorship applications effective immediately, and they are introducing 2-year visitor visas instead:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ca...mmigrants-parents-grandparents-133246693.html

"OTTAWA - The federal government is imposing a two-year moratorium on immigration applications from parents and grandparents, starting immediately.

But to make up for the restriction, it is creating a 10-year, special visa that will allow parents and grandparents of permanent residents to enter Canada multiple times as visitors and stay for up to two years at a time.

Ottawa is also going to allow in more parents and grandparents next year from the existing — very long — waiting list. The government is targeting admissions of 25,000 people next year, up from a recent annual average of 17,500.

As a result, parents and grandparents will make up nine per cent of the total immigrant inflow of about 255,000 next year, said Immigration Minister Jason Kenney. That's up from the current six per cent.

But with increases for parents and grandparents, as well as previously announced increases in the numbers of foreign skilled workers and white-collar workers with Canadian experience, Kenney is reducing other targets to keep the overall immigrant pool at the same level as in previous years."

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
I never figured out how letting millions of well-off parents and grandparents in, then handing them out cash then running up billions in healthcare bills is going to advance a country. At the same time, millions of young skilled workers are waiting and waiting and waiting in line to get in.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
This is indeed a great news Mahbod Jan.

I have a question about the healthcare when someone is here with these visas.
What happens if you had some serious acute emergency problems that need a surgery or ... Who has to pay for it ? Is this on the families or is this on Canadian government or Are these people required to buy private insurances upon arriving to Canada or ...

Does anyone have any information ?

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com

What happens if you had some serious acute emergency problems that need a surgery or ... Who has to pay for it ? Is this on the families or is this on Canadian government or Are these people required to buy private insurances upon arriving to Canada or ...

Happened to us.

Grandma came here. Ended up in the hospital. They did a very quick surgery. She left for Iran.

3 months later, we got a bill for $3000 in HER name.

My dad paid the bill. We got a call from someone who was incredibly thankful for our honest approach and admitted it was the first time in months she had managed to recover a substantial bill from visitors.

Oct 18, 2002

I read in the news that as a requirement for these super visas is that the applicants would have to purchase private health insurance (I assume before the visa is issued).

Private health insurance will become a booming business in this country.

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
Private health insurance will cost 10 to 14 cad$ daily. It covers up to 150000. I think it's great

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Private health insurance will cost 10 to 14 cad$ daily. It covers up to 150000. I think it's great
Is 150000 enough when you we are talking about surgery and ... in Canada !! If there is no requirement for insurance, then this is going to cost Canadian tax peers a lot of money and make the health care situation even worst than it is now.

Oct 18, 2002
Is 150000 enough when you we are talking about surgery and ... in Canada !! If there is no requirement for insurance, then this is going to cost Canadian tax peers a lot of money and make the health care situation even worst than it is now.
Shaahin jan,
The requirement is already there. There is no cost for the taxpayer:

From the CIC announcement:
"Parent and Grandparent Super Visa applicants will be required to obtain private Canadian health-care insurance for their stay in Canada."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-11-04.asp