Carlos Queiroz the mastermind Chess player

CQ was never a good fit for Colombia.

Colombians think very highly of their national team and expect them to be world champions. Even after 90 years of World Cups and never winning one, they still think they should've been world cup winners every single time!

They don't settle for 1-0 defeats or 0-0 draws against big guns. They consider those punishable failures, let alone CQ's miserable results.

CQ's disciplined approach to positional defense does wonders for teams with little ambitions. It really does make a difference for teams that have otherwise no chance of competing against big teams. But Colombia is no such team. On a good day, they should be able to beat any team in the world.

Jan 26, 2006
Maybe Queiroz isnt anything special, but for Iran he was the closest thing we will ever get to a professional coach, by quite a long way to be honest.

The fact that people didn't appreciate that speaks volumes about how disastrous the psychological situation is in the country and amongst the diaspora abroad.

Pooya

Administrator, Technical Team Director
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Maybe Queiroz isnt anything special, but for Iran he was the closest thing we will ever get to a professional coach, by quite a long way to be honest.

The fact that people didn't appreciate that speaks volumes about how disastrous the psychological situation is in the country and amongst the diaspora abroad.
Well I think you need to split this, there are some who flat out said he is horrible from the start, from day 1, then there are some (me included) that thought he was great, but he reached the peak and had nothing more to offer. Now you can come and say, well we would NEVER get anyone better, well sure, in that case he could stay, but (speaking for myself) my issue was we made him a GOD !
you can say lets keep CQ cuz we can not get anyone better --> I agree, but you can not tell me he was amazing, maybe for Iran he was the best we could get, which is sad. But lets not make him a god that he was not.

Sly

Football Legend
Oct 18, 2002
Well I think you need to split this, there are some who flat out said he is horrible from the start, from day 1, then there are some (me included) that thought he was great, but he reached the peak and had nothing more to offer. Now you can come and say, well we would NEVER get anyone better, well sure, in that case he could stay, but (speaking for myself) my issue was we made him a GOD !
you can say lets keep CQ cuz we can not get anyone better --> I agree, but you can not tell me he was amazing, maybe for Iran he was the best we could get, which is sad. But lets not make him a god that he was not.
Even if he did not have more to offer, it was enough for us not to be scared of Arab teams for once and rely on ifs or buts to qualify to WCs.

As long as we did well in football, who cared if we made him a god?! Let's imagine he was made the only person who was gonna save humanity on earth. What would we have lost by that?!

Sly

Football Legend
Oct 18, 2002
It's not about psychological situation. It's always been in our culture to get rid of good people who'd benefited us. From Amir Kabir to Shah to CQ! Same mentality during different eras.

Jan 26, 2006
But lets not make him a god that he was not.
Surely Iran has so many more problems than a bunch of long-suffering football fans making Queiroz more than he might have been?

At the end of the day he gave iranians a lot of good memories, at least the more realistic ones, and maybe we wouldn't have seen a lot of our players in Europe were it not for his efforts (a few players credit him for their moves).

Is it such an issue to make a God out of him, compared to a bunch of nomads from centuries ago?