Carlos Queiroz the mastermind Chess player

Nov 24, 2002
So I have a question here while agreeing with your judgement as someone who follows the TM closely. If we get kicked out in Knock out stage in UAE, you still stand your ground? I mean as a TM fan the current state of CQ success ! will fulfill your satisfaction?
Agha the way you talk is like we won 3-4 Asian Cups in last 30 years, or Iran was always a WC participant. People were jumping up and down in 1997 with two draws against Aussies(one a magic that happens once in life), we are talking about Aussie. Now this time around we almost beat European Champs, and almost got a draw against a team like Spain and people are not still happy. The same 98 team with all bah bah o chah chah was so scared against a very old grand pa German team, as Azizi and Kia said: behemon goftan berim abro mendane bebazim, chamedona ham already ferestadan to forodgah!!! Now the only thing this team didn't have was the fear of losing. We were so close in both games against Spain and Portugal, not any real chances for both teams, in fact other than the first 25 minutes against Morocco, opponents didn't create any real opportunities.

Fariborz you need to follow things closely to see how he changed the culture, i am not always agreeing with the way his tactic and his ultra-defensive system is, but he is getting the result, beating Chile, drawing Portugal, beating Morocco, almost drawing against Spain, losing by one goal to ARG, beating Algeria, beating South Korea 4 times in row, and few good other results, all can't be just accident.

We managed to beat Algeria of 1990(with Madjer), and almost 30 years later, har sal yeki ro miaran rajeve oun bazi sohbat kone, hala bazi ba australia bemanad dige ke shode hamaseye melli mihani...

Now coming to Asian Cup, i don't it will be easy, now people expecting us to win, yes for me anything other than semi, can be a disappointment. I am Ok for a change after 7 years, but knowing IFF, i HIGHLY doubt it will be for anything better.

I know his time in Real wasn't a real success, specially how it ended, but man, he has the respect of every single player who played for him in TM. Haven't seen that before, he should doing something really good.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I think is totally unfair to say he hasn't done anything for our football, IMHO if someone want comment about what he has done for our football he has to closely followed the state of our football since WC2006 and specially since 2011 when he took over.

As it was said many times, in 2011 we were probably behind some countries such as North Korea in level of talents, development, structures, proof is NK made it to 2010 and we didn't!! So i think if you analyse our football in last 30 years, twice we were in really decline periods. Once between 90 to 94, another one between 2006 to 2012.
Remember in 2011 we didn't have a SINGLE PLAYER in any half a$$ European league, as it was said before.
What he has achieved was already mentioned, doing this in Iran is like a magic, you can't compare Iran with Japan which 2/3 of squad play in top 3-4 leagues. I think his biggest achievement was, Iranian players for the first time in history were buying a tactic by a coach, instead of alllah-bakhtaki football. Now we can all argue Carlos Queiroz team doesn't play beautiful football, too defensive, result oriented, no second plan when we concede a goal, all of valuable arguments, and no coach is perfect, but for once he gave an identity to our football.
Again playing beautiful football without result is not a good thing either, Japan qualified not ONLY because of beautiful football but because of many factors including luck.

Another issue is, people need to consider, how many coaches in CQ caliber can last 7 years in Iran? People can say, yeah but he is earning good money, do you honestly think someone a full-pocket such as Queiroz at this stage and age of his career, really rely on IFF paycheck?!?

So if you want get rid of someone like him, you better have a better alternatives on the table who are ready to work in Iran and dealing with IFF BSs, and i can bet not many willing to do that. Maybe with the credibility and success of recent years things changed, maybe not, we will see.....

while agreeing with most of your post ,but we did have a second plan ,we did go on attack and played with two upfront when we got scored on but we were out of luck against former world and current European champions and troubled them ,scored against both which was disallowed against Spain and as we saw referees weren't that kind to us .

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
I wish the coach was in a position to put in a program in our football vs. coaching the TM. He's been a gift and should not be denied . I am looking at his history at Real Madrid (2003-04) and it's alarming with such attack players (Zidane, figo , Ronaldo and Beckham) he only got the fourth spot in the table and was let go in 10 months.

It makes me think he can't deal with attacking football so much; maybe a premature conclusion but an observation by an average fan.

while agreeing with most of your post ,but we did have a second plan ,we did go on attack and played with two upfront when we got scored on but we were out of luck against former world and current European champions and troubled them ,scored against both which was disallowed against Spain and as we saw referees weren't that kind to us .

I also agree with Most of what Babr mentioned. Although I agree with A8K. This is CQ for you. you won't get more than this from him. He doesn't own more than one idea on the attacking half. I just found one of Vahid Hashemian interview after the WC 2014. as per him, we played same exact strategy in all three games. Against Argentina yes we did well but why the same game against Nigeria?
watch this 8 min Video, especially from min 5.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
I will keep this short and to the point. For tens and tens of reasons which are mentioned he has grown Iran football to become an Asian powerhouse and has given it order and identity. Many people need to see where Iran was and where she is now to understand the level of greatness. Its like comparing the end of Qajar era and what Reza Shah did to rebuilt Iran. As simple as that. If you do not see that you are either blind , or do not see the whole picture due to bad eye sight or generally do not have an understanding of football and its structure within a certain social and cultural aspect of where it comes from. What else do you expect the guy to do.

These are not his full achievements and I am only listing some:

Top Asian team for 4-5 years
28 games undefeated in a row against Asian teams
Getting 5 points in 2 world cups while other 3 we got 5 as well
Almost topping group of death
11 games in a row clean sheet and breaking the all time record for not getting scored on in consecutive games during a WC qualifier campaign
Conceeding only 2 goals in 10 games and both goals in the last game which did not even matter
Topping both qualifying tables for WC while no other time except 78 did that
Having extra players in any posts and introducing tens of new faces and youngsters to the team

This along many other facts and reasons why he has been so great and has achieved so much. But then we have Iranians that just for the sake of it like to complain and bitch which no merit or respect or understanding of what has taken place.

WE USE TO BE SCARED SHIT LESS WHILE PLAYING SAUDI, BAHRAIN, KOREA, QATAR AND SEE HOW MANY TIMES THEY KICKED US OUT. Now we draw with European Champions, hold the World champions both in Spain, and Argentina going to the final of last cup and PEOPLE STILL BITCH. This in itself is proof how far we have come and how great we are. If our expectations have grown so much that we expect even better and bigger results this is a big slap to those that keep complaining and do not really see for whatever reason where we stand as a team today.

I will keep this short and to the point. For tens and tens of reasons which are mentioned he has grown Iran football to become an Asian powerhouse and has given it order and identity. Many people need to see where Iran was and where she is now to understand the level of greatness. Its like comparing the end of Qajar era and what Reza Shah did to rebuilt Iran. As simple as that. If you do not see that you are either blind , or do not see the whole picture due to bad eye sight or generally do not have an understanding of football and its structure within a certain social and cultural aspect of where it comes from. What else do you expect the guy to do.

These are not his full achievements and I am only listing some:

Top Asian team for 4-5 years
28 games undefeated in a row against Asian teams
Getting 5 points in 2 world cups while other 3 we got 5 as well
Almost topping group of death
11 games in a row clean sheet and breaking the all time record for not getting scored on in consecutive games during a WC qualifier campaign
Conceeding only 2 goals in 10 games and both goals in the last game which did not even matter
Topping both qualifying tables for WC while no other time except 78 did that
Having extra players in any posts and introducing tens of new faces and youngsters to the team

This along many other facts and reasons why he has been so great and has achieved so much. But then we have Iranians that just for the sake of it like to complain and bitch which no merit or respect or understanding of what has taken place.

WE USE TO BE SCARED SHIT LESS WHILE PLAYING SAUDI, BAHRAIN, KOREA, QATAR AND SEE HOW MANY TIMES THEY KICKED US OUT. Now we draw with European Champions, hold the World champions both in Spain, and Argentina going to the final of last cup and PEOPLE STILL BITCH. This in itself is proof how far we have come and how great we are. If our expectations have grown so much that we expect even better and bigger results this is a big slap to those that keep complaining and do not really see for whatever reason where we stand as a team today.
We're the powerhouse of Asia while the champion of Europe and world champion (2010) + Argentina crap in their pants against us. We almost topped the group of death which didn't even reach the Quarterfinal and plus all of the above, show me your cabinet trophy and tell me what you got.
No one will remember the number of your clean sheet nor Croatia reached the final of WC 2018. now going forward, with those things you lined up if we don't reach the final of Asian cup then I really don't know what to say !!!!!

Nov 24, 2002
We're the powerhouse of Asia while the champion of Europe and world champion (2010) + Argentina crap in their pants against us. We almost topped the group of death which didn't even reach the Quarterfinal and plus all of the above, show me your cabinet trophy and tell me what you got.
No one will remember the number of your clean sheet nor Croatia reached the final of WC 2018. now going forward, with those things you lined up if we don't reach the final of Asian cup then I really don't know what to say !!!!!
What was your expectation of Iran in this WC? Advancing from this group?

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field

I also agree with Most of what Babr mentioned. Although I agree with A8K. This is CQ for you. you won't get more than this from him. He doesn't own more than one idea on the attacking half. I just found one of Vahid Hashemian interview after the WC 2014. as per him, we played same exact strategy in all three games. Against Argentina yes we did well but why the same game against Nigeria?
watch this 8 min Video, especially from min 5.

Thanks for posting this , you see I also criticised CQ for being too defensive ,at the same time I realize team melli achieved beyond expectations from this world cup ,we were close in toping our group and go to next round but failing to do so takes nothing away from their outstanding performances against teams way above our level .

I promise you everyone will remember their brave battle against Argentina and these three games in this world cup , Ronaldo was telling team mates to waste time .

Like you and everyone else I think I will be disappointed if we don't win the Asian cup this year , I promise you we will not be defending with 9 or 10 men behind the ball in the Asian cup .

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
before I answer let me ask you this. Were you expecting the Powerhouse of Asia leave with the tournament with no goals in 270minuts? let's not talk about the OG and Penalty .
May I ? as we stood before the start and now we can't expect to score many goals if any against teams like Portugal and Spain ,however we created chances that unfortunately didn't go in ,poor finishing ,bad luck or whatever else due to lack of composure and not enough games as part of our everlasting problems with preps .

Nov 24, 2002
before I answer let me ask you this. Were you expecting the Powerhouse of Asia leave with the tournament with no goals in 270minuts? let's not talk about the OG and Penalty .
Dige goal goale dige... Azmoun missed a one & one chance in other hand we got lucky at the end.
Against Spain if it wasn't for VAR we were already in 2nd round and wouldn't have all these talks.
Now regarding to goals. I wasn't expecting us to score 10 for sure , 2-3 was my expection and we almost got this. Infact 2 was our highest in WC as we always scored 2 in 5 participations, even with Branko who is so called '' offensive coach'' or 98 team which is considered by many as Iran's best team in all WCs

Last edited:

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Babr jaan the issue is that people come and throw up weak empty claims without seeing where we were and where we stand. Its like everyone has an opinion with no basis and just throws around words as words are cheap and free.

Someone like Real Madrid is not willing to recognize or establish any kind of a basis for his argument. He says if this doesn't happen then no progress has been made and that's the end of the story. He doesn't get that many power houses like Germany got their asses kicked in the first round and teams like Italy, Holland, Chile did not even make it there.

Its like they say "yek divooneh yek sang mindaze too chah va 100 ta aghel nemitoonan dar biaran." His low quality post which displays no in depth base for anything or argument except a rebuttal of we did not score or did not qualify does not qualify as an intelligence comment or argument as he has no basis for his claims as they are just claims. When world renowned figures and pundits all praise Iran and what they did how much weight can you really give to someone that is not even willing to see a bit of progress and is 100% bias with out looking at anything else.

At least come and show show Iran has not been an Asian powerhouse and how the results have been bad. Compare Iran record VS other Asian teams and their 28 unbeaten record against Asia and then come talk.

Very sad when someone is so biased that is not even giving credit where its due. Look at how much accomplishments has been made. Anyone I talk to that was non Iranian all praised how Iran played and were all surprised how strong Iran was. From the Mexican guy that works in the parking of my work, to the Argentine doctor I see and my soccer friends that are from all over place. All people in the world recognized how much heart and desire Iran had and praised it. It was like they had something to fight for. The spirit was there. That has never been there before to this extent. But yet some Iranians just down play everything and turn a blind eye to everything. I don't want to just continue to waste time and repeat myself but it truly pisses me off when some just dismiss everything for the sake of just saying something with NO BASIS.

Feb 22, 2005
It is funny if our player would not have missed that last shot on Portguese goal that he should have scored (same player having missed the header at the end with Spain too), Iran would have gone out top of the group . And conversations here would have been different.

At the end of the day, Iran could have been top of the group if not for that player missing the goals.

It is funny if our player would not have missed that last shot on Portguese goal that he should have scored (same player having missed the header at the end with Spain too), Iran would have gone out top of the group . And conversations here would have been different.

At the end of the day, Iran could have been top of the group if not for that player missing the goals.

Football is full of "ifs and buts" and that's what makes it the best sport ever regardless of who you cheer for.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004

Why do you think the own goal happened? Why do you think the penalty happened? You realize you contradict yourself when you say no-one will remember Croatia and then ask how Iran's goals were scored! Its in the same line of thinking. Its the end day results that people will remember. Not how it happened.

At the end of the day Iran scored 2 goals. Which was 1 more than 2014, and 2006 and equal to 98 and 78. Keep in mind with tougher opponents and groups.

Why do you think the own goal happened? Why do you think the penalty happened? You realize you contradict yourself when you say no-one will remember Croatia and then ask how Iran's goals were scored! Its in the same line of thinking. Its the end day results that people will remember. Not how it happened.

At the end of the day Iran scored 2 goals. Which was 1 more than 2014, and 2006 and equal to 98 and 78. Keep in mind with tougher opponents and groups.
You can go ahead and write umpteen lines and paragraphs about CQ being a chess master and the best in business, well good for you. you see the game that way then fine but Many other including me see it differently. So sit back and relax and enjoy Team Melli and ignore other ppl comments who don't agree with you. you're not obliged to reply either defend anyone or anything. you like apple I like orange