Carlos Queiroz the mastermind Chess player

CQ was never a good fit for Colombia.

Colombians think very highly of their national team and expect them to be world champions. Even after 90 years of World Cups and never winning one, they still think they should've been world cup winners every single time!

They don't settle for 1-0 defeats or 0-0 draws against big guns. They consider those punishable failures, let alone CQ's miserable results.

CQ's disciplined approach to positional defense does wonders for teams with little ambitions. It really does make a difference for teams that have otherwise no chance of competing against big teams. But Colombia is no such team. On a good day, they should be able to beat any team in the world.

Jan 26, 2006
Maybe Queiroz isnt anything special, but for Iran he was the closest thing we will ever get to a professional coach, by quite a long way to be honest.

The fact that people didn't appreciate that speaks volumes about how disastrous the psychological situation is in the country and amongst the diaspora abroad.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Maybe Queiroz isnt anything special, but for Iran he was the closest thing we will ever get to a professional coach, by quite a long way to be honest.

The fact that people didn't appreciate that speaks volumes about how disastrous the psychological situation is in the country and amongst the diaspora abroad.
Well I think you need to split this, there are some who flat out said he is horrible from the start, from day 1, then there are some (me included) that thought he was great, but he reached the peak and had nothing more to offer. Now you can come and say, well we would NEVER get anyone better, well sure, in that case he could stay, but (speaking for myself) my issue was we made him a GOD !
you can say lets keep CQ cuz we can not get anyone better --> I agree, but you can not tell me he was amazing, maybe for Iran he was the best we could get, which is sad. But lets not make him a god that he was not.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well I think you need to split this, there are some who flat out said he is horrible from the start, from day 1, then there are some (me included) that thought he was great, but he reached the peak and had nothing more to offer. Now you can come and say, well we would NEVER get anyone better, well sure, in that case he could stay, but (speaking for myself) my issue was we made him a GOD !
you can say lets keep CQ cuz we can not get anyone better --> I agree, but you can not tell me he was amazing, maybe for Iran he was the best we could get, which is sad. But lets not make him a god that he was not.
Even if he did not have more to offer, it was enough for us not to be scared of Arab teams for once and rely on ifs or buts to qualify to WCs.

As long as we did well in football, who cared if we made him a god?! Let's imagine he was made the only person who was gonna save humanity on earth. What would we have lost by that?!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
It's not about psychological situation. It's always been in our culture to get rid of good people who'd benefited us. From Amir Kabir to Shah to CQ! Same mentality during different eras.

Jan 26, 2006
But lets not make him a god that he was not.
Surely Iran has so many more problems than a bunch of long-suffering football fans making Queiroz more than he might have been?

At the end of the day he gave iranians a lot of good memories, at least the more realistic ones, and maybe we wouldn't have seen a lot of our players in Europe were it not for his efforts (a few players credit him for their moves).

Is it such an issue to make a God out of him, compared to a bunch of nomads from centuries ago?

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Carlos was too much for this football, and the example of Shah and CQ mentioned here still shows the level of thinking, analyzing, appreciation, and specially understanding of our people(even after almost 40 years of disaster).

Last edited by a moderator:

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Carlos was too much for this football, and the example of Shah and CQ mentioned here still shows the level of thinking, analyzing, appreciation, and specially understanding of our people(even after almost 40 years of disaster).
Hello,
That is your opinion and well respected.However, as I mentioned earlier in my post, I dont fully agree CQ was too much for this football. I think we could benefit from a better coach. Again, without repeating myself too much, if you tell me its between CQ and Ali Parvin, lol of course CQ, if you tell me its between CQ and Pep, well ... (I know Pep would never come to Iran, I am just trying to make a point so it makes what I am trying to say more clear).
If CQ was the best coach that would ever agree to coach Iran, we were stupid to let him go.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Hello,
That is your opinion and well respected.However, as I mentioned earlier in my post, I dont fully agree CQ was too much for this football. I think we could benefit from a better coach. Again, without repeating myself too much, if you tell me its between CQ and Ali Parvin, lol of course CQ, if you tell me its between CQ and Pep, well ... (I know Pep would never come to Iran, I am just trying to make a point so it makes what I am trying to say more clear).
If CQ was the best coach that would ever agree to coach Iran, we were stupid to let him go.
I don't know you but you either don't follow Iranian football(which is shame for a webmaster of Iranian football board), or you live in lala land.
Tell me which top 20 coach would agree to coach TM, even top 30??
Wilmots who wasn't even a real coach got two times more than QC and we all saw the result.
I am not saying Carlos should stay forever but when your alternatives are real garbage then you better appreciate what you have.
I don't want judge Skocic, too early but from CQ to him it is a, real downgrade.
Could have been worst Ghalenoeoi, or any random local team...
I was mainly refering to your Shah example, you don't need to be monarchy lover(i am not) to appreciate the job he has done for his land.
The country, like anywhere else had room to improvement, but not replacing the system with total disaster.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I don't know you but you either don't follow Iranian football(which is shame for a webmaster of Iranian football board), or you live in lala land.
Tell me which top 20 coach would agree to coach TM, even top 30??
Wilmots who wasn't even a real coach got two times more than QC and we all saw the result.
I am not saying Carlos should stay forever but when your alternatives are real garbage then you better appreciate what you have.
I don't want judge Skocic, too early but from CQ to him it is a, real downgrade.
Could have been worst Ghalenoeoi, or any random local team...
I was mainly refering to your Shah example, you don't need to be monarchy lover(i am not) to appreciate the job he has done for his land.
The country, like anywhere else had room to improvement, but not replacing the system with total disaster.
Welcome to ISP.
Re my comment with Shah, what exactly I said that didnt make sense? I said just like Shah, CQ was replaced with someone less worthy.
I believe we both are saying the same thing buddy,
Replacing Shah or CQ or whoever is NOT a bad thing IF the replacement is BETTER, but replacing SHAH with KHOMEYNI or CQ with Ali Parvin is Retarded buddy.

At the end of the day, I think we both saying the same thing :)
Cheers,

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
کلا این پرتقالی ها از فوتبال تهاجمی چیزی سرشون نمیشه, حالا چه مورینیو باشه چه این کییروش...واسه همینم اگه این بابا بخواد همون برنامه رو واسه کلمبیایی ها پیاده کنه , در کوتاه ترین مدت زمان میزنن دکش میکنن چون اونا اولا بر عکس ماها فوتبالیستن, و دوما روح تهاجمی دارن. مطلب من با کییروش اصلا فوتبالی نیست چون این بابا در اصل اومد و خیلی زود فهمید که تو اون مملکت استعداد فوتبال زیاد نیست. تو این ۸ سال این بابا بهترین ها رو انتخاب کرد و دید اینا فوتبالیست های در سطح بالایی نیستن. در اصل بهترین کار رو کرد: اومد به جای وقت تلف کردن بیخود با تکنیک و تاکتیک های تهاجمی و کامپلکس , تمام نیروشو گذاشت رو بازی تخریبی و آمادگیه بدنی. یعنی خیلی زود فهمید که اینا فوتبالیست هایی نیستن که بتونن بازی خودشون رو به حریف دیکته کنن, چون نه آمادگی و فهم تاکتیکیشو دارن, نه قدرت تکنیکیشون و نه قابلیت های فردیشون واسه فوتبال مدرن کافیه. گفت حالا که نمیتونید فوتبال بازی کنید, بیایید لا اقل نزارید حریف هم فوتبال بازی کنه, بازیشو خراب کنید. و این کار رو ۸ سال کم و بیش کرد ولی این کار رو هم در هر سطحی نمیشه انجام داد, یه جا دیگه حریف قدرت تهاجمی, تکنیکی و تاکتیکیش انقدر بهت میچربه که دیگه بازی تخریبی هم کارساز نیست و به همین خاطر هم هیچوقت با یه همچین تیمی به جایی نرسید. تمام نیرو و استعداد های کشور رو این بابا تو این ۸ سال به کار گرفت و نتیجش اینی شد که دیدیم. بیشتر از این نداریم, کشور های دیگه هم فوتبالیست دارن, فوتبالیست های با استعداد تری هم دارن, که علاوه بر استعدادشون , اون خرابی ذات و ایراد های فرهنگی ما رو ندارن, واسه همین هم بیشتر و درست تر رشد میکنن و از ما جلو میزنن و زدن.
چی شد؟ بازم چینسکی حرفش درست از آب در اومد؟

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Honestly PEP will be horrible choice for Iran haha ... Play open an then we lose to even Bahrain :)