Carlos Queiroz the mastermind Chess player

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Honestly PEP will be horrible choice for Iran haha ... Play open an then we lose to even Bahrain :)
Aziz jan, PEP too would find out soon that this IR bunch are no footballers. They HAVE to defend with all they have and still have to be lucky to not lose against any semi decent asian opponent. Playing an open style or not, they are more or less on the same level as Bahrain wouldnt win 6 out of 10 against them. Qatar is already way ahead of them.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Aziz jan, PEP too would find out soon that this IR bunch are no footballers. They HAVE to defend with all they have and still have to be lucky to not lose against any semi decent asian opponent. Playing an open style or not, they are more or less on the same level as Bahrain wouldnt win 6 out of 10 against them. Qatar is already way ahead of them.
Fun fact, Bahrain has a total of 1 player currently playing in Europe in some Czech team, and one more playing in Emirates. Every other player has reached their limit and plays in the mighty football country of Bahrain.

Sure you want to continue to make outlandish claims that Bahrain is on the same level as Iran?

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
It's really simple. Quieros was a good coach for Iran playing the way he did. And even then the results were nothing special. Nothing. Nobody will remember Iran in the WC for anything. If you guys think people talk about the Iran team that nearly drew with Argentina or drew with Portugal you are deluded.

Colombia is a way different team and expectations are very different. We don't know what exactly happened there but whatever it was, his way didn't work with them.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Cuadrado, James, and Falcao are not well suited to defensive strategies and they are fixed important starters for Colombia. Carlos was always going to have a problem adapting there game to fit his defensive style.

Nov 24, 2002
My Colombian friend told me that the players did not buy into CQ philosophy. He was not the right person for the job.
That is exactly the same thing which i have heard, but he never demolished his players on public after even losing the job. That is why many TM players still love him.

He did so many good things for our football that one can be really stupid or disconnected from our football(which is the case of some here)to not being able realizing it.
The most recent one is Taremi. Just compare the player when he first got the invitation to TM by CQ and now..

Jan 26, 2006
It took two years for the Iranian team to get to know him. Once that happened, it was a siege unit, so the team itself was so much greater than the some of its parts. Look at the win ratio difference between the first two years and next six....

Within the infinity amount of corruption and incompetency in Iran and Iranian sports, we have to give thanks to the few people who ensured that he remained after that difficult beginning period...

Jan 26, 2006
CQ about to sign as South Africa coach.

Would love to see him back for TM - it felt good being a TM fan in both Brazil and Russia and I never felt that before. Pundits coming up to us talking about the "well-drilled club style" of TM etc...

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
CQ about to sign as South Africa coach.

Would love to see him back for TM - it felt good being a TM fan in both Brazil and Russia and I never felt that before. Pundits coming up to us talking about the "well-drilled club style" of TM etc...
There was a reason the regime got rid of him. There is no way they will take him back. but even if they wanted too, I doubt he will accept it again. At least not under this regime.

What we can hope for at best is to find another coach in his caliber who is willing to come to Iran. Not many will.

Talking about that, what does Fabio Capello do now a days? He's 74 years old but even at that age he could be a major contribution for us. A 72 year old Scolari's contract is running out this year too. I can imagine old guys like these may be willing to try their last step pf their careers in Iran.

Oct 18, 2010
Seems like CQ read Mahdi's article LOLL!!!

Carlos Queiroz insists that Iran ‘will not go to Russia as tourists’

(IranSportsPress.com-espnfc.com)- Carlos Queiroz has been making history this week with Iran, and he wants to do so again next summer.

On June 12, Team Melli, as the national team is known, qualified for the World Cup — the first time they’ll be in back-to-back competitions — and now their sights are set on a debut appearance in the knockout stages.

Not long before midnight at the iconic Azadi Stadium in Tehran, the Mozambique-born manager was thrown into the air by his squad of Iranian players after they had defeated Uzbekistan 2-0. It was in recognition of a perfect World Cup qualification campaign and their being second only to Brazil in booking a berth in Russia.

“The atmosphere and excitement of the fans were great. They deserve this,” Queiroz told ESPN FC.

Iran deserves it too and have been dominant in the third round of qualification, doing the job with two of the ten games still to play. Not only are Iran unbeaten, but not once has the defence been breached. Perhaps most impressive was that all knew a win at home to Uzbekistan would be enough for a ticket to Russia, and all expected exactly that would happen. This is a team that delivers.

“We tried not to think about the World Cup, not to play two games in the same game,” said Queiroz who was appointed in 2011. “We just wanted to focus on Uzbekistan, just win the game and collect the points. No doubt we were the best team on the pitch and fortunately, we won. Someone needs to win in football, and it was us.”

After four years in which Iran was Asia’s highest-ranked team according to FIFA, few would argue that this team is the best on the pitch, the only one of any of the traditional continental powerhouses to shine consistently in qualification.

Despite that, Queiroz believes Iran still has work to do.

“I think that, honestly, there are two competitions in Asia,” said the former Real Madrid and Portugal boss. “The stats and the real competition. From a data point of view, the numbers show that we are the No. 1 and there is no doubt about that. We did not concede one goal, did not lose and qualified with two games left.

“But overall, we are far away from the international level. In that sense, I believe that South Korea and Japan are one step ahead of us. They have more experience and football closer to European standards. This is the gap we need to close during our preparation.”

Preparation is key. There is a year until it all starts. In the past, Iran has struggled to arrange training camps and friendlies, watching with envy as Asian rivals play all around the world.

“Not many [understand] as to the right amount of credit we deserve for this qualification,” he said. “It is hard to explain to the world our problems and that it is hard to find a place to train or teams to play.”

Queiroz has had numerous run-ins with bosses at the Iranian Football Federation and various clubs in his six years in the position. Now he wants total support in the 12 months leading to Russia.

“I will try to make a statement similar to a famous statement made by a famous old and great President: The question is not what Team Melli can do for Iran, but what Iran can do for Team Melli.

“In order to progress, we need better infrastructure and financial support for camps and friendly games.If we don’t do that, the result will be stagnation. This is not the expectation for Iran fans and not what they deserve.

“It is time to say that the national team has been doing everything for Iranian football, now it is time for the authorities to step up. The passion is there and we need to implement a different program in order for different players to progress. In Portugal, we were producing good players 26 or 30 years ago, but in Portugal, we did not sleep and kept producing players. This is what Iran misses — a master plan with an infrastructure and individual support.”

If all goes well, the next stage of the plan is within reach. Iran has appeared in four World Cups but has yet to survive the group stage.

Iran performed well in 2014, but this is a different team now — more cosmopolitan, confident and consistent. Young stars like striker Sardar Azmoun and midfielder Saeid Ezatolahi are already in Russia but ready to make the jump to the big leagues and expand further the country’s growing pool of players who are active and impressing in Europe.

“We have built a team and a squad of 26 and more players and I have more options,” he said. “I have three goalkeepers, three right-backs and so on. At the next World Cup, I can rest people and keep them fresh for the games while keeping the same standard.

“This is due to our players being brilliant. I have never seen in my life players who made such sacrifices.”

Now is not the time to stop.

“My goal and dream are to get to the knockout stage at the 2018 World Cup. I am fighting against this satisfaction disease. We should not be satisfied with the first round. We need to be ambitious. We need to think big. We will not go to Russia as tourists.”

BY JOHN DUERDEN

http://iransportspress.com/carlos-queiroz-insists-that-iran-will-not-go-to-russia-as-tourists/
carlos' attitude(EXPAND TO SEE),as exhibited and highlighted above right after we qualified in for 2018 wc, would have created a disaster
for iran in the last 2 matches.

before:

first of all he would have complained endlessly about not getting all his players at least 14 days before the matches.
then he would complain about not have a camp outside iran to get the team ready.
next he would have gone on an endless rant about not having any friendlies before these wc qualifiers.
and if ipl was in progress he would pick a fight with at least a few ipl coaches just to show them who is the boss!

after:

after the 2 matches if he were in charge iran would most probably get 2-4 points.
he would come back and tell the fans that this is all he can do with the iranian football
since we are 20 years behind teams like korea and japan :p

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Queiroz is a capable coach. He did a good job in Iran. however, he was out of ideas and was not bringing anything new to the table.

Queiroz's main strength was that he was used to working in non-European cultures were things are not exactly run by the book.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
This is a good fit for him. Egypt has by far the best league in Africa, few world class players, won CAN 7 times, but struggle to qualify to WC most of the time. They have a shitty federation like ours.
Perfect fit for CQ, expect some fight soon lol

Last edited: