catalonia is not spain

Oct 18, 2010
very distinct culture that has been under spain's thumb for too long.
time to set them free without a civil war.
catalonia mps voted for independence and spanish mps voted to take
over the ones who voted for independence.

[h=1]Spain Moves to Seize Control Over Catalonia[/h]

BARCELONA, Spain — In a major escalation of Spain’s territorial conflict, the Spanish Senate on Friday authorized the government to take direct control of the fractious region of Catalonia, just after Catalan lawmakers declared the region’s independence.
The dueling actions set up a potential showdown over the weekend, as Spain careened into its greatest constitutional crisis since it embraced democracy in 1978.
The Senate voted 214 to 47 to invoke Article 155 of Spain’s Constitution, granting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy a package of extraordinary powers to suppress Catalonia’s independence drive. The measure will go into effect after it is published in the government register, which is expected to happen Friday night.
In a speech on Friday before the vote, Mr. Rajoy had said he had “no alternative” because the Catalan leader, Carles Puigdemont, and his separatist cabinet had pursued an illegal and unilateral path that was “contrary to the normal behavior in any democratic country like ours.”
Undeterred by the government’s threat, and after a bitter debate, separatists in the Catalan Parliament passed a resolution to “create a Catalan republic as an independent state.” Lawmakers opposed to independence walked out of the chamber in protest before the vote.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Personally , i think this is bad for Spain, its bad for Catalonia ,,, EU already said they are not going to let Catolonia into EU, big banks and other organizations are moving headquarter taking lots of jobs with them (if Catalonia is not part of EU) ...

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Catalunya is a very rich region. If smaller countries and economies like Cyprus and Malta can manage so can Catalunya.

Anyway, all they need to do is sell Messi to PSG or ManCity and they will make ends meet to begin with and then see what happens :p

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
Catalunya is a very rich region. If smaller countries and economies like Cyprus and Malta can manage so can Catalunya.

Anyway, all they need to do is sell Messi to PSG or ManCity and they will make ends meet to begin with and then see what happens :p
Not so fast Behrooz jan. CNN said If Catalonia get indipendence. Their independent furtune compare to Under spain will be 104 euro (cat) and 100 euro (spain)
yani age 100 euro dashtan tu espania, alaan 104 euro darand.
Thats NOT what I call a reasonable economic reason to move apart.

Not so fast Behrooz jan. CNN said If Catalonia get indipendence. Their independent furtune compare to Under spain will be 104 euro (cat) and 100 euro (spain)
Which is quite normal. you don't expect them to detach themselves from Spain and back to normal the next day. Rule of thumbs ; you gain something you lose some. Those Millions + the governors must have done their homework before all these riots and gobbledygook referendum

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
Catalonia is the heart and Brain of the country, they are smart and hard working people. most of country's businessmen are from Catalonia . if they get separated today then both nations will suffer but Spain will be impacted more than Catalonia ..
There are some examples in the world where a state has most of the money and think " why we should care and pay for the rest?". Some are:
Khuzestan in Iran, Bayern in Germany and California in US.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Another thing which most people forget is, all these numbers, all the talk about Catolonia being business center etc. is when them being PART OF EUROPE! EU ... France said they are not going to even recognize them as a country, Germany and EU said they wont be part of EU ... US said they would NOT do any trade deal with them ... do you guys realize all this? furthermore, right now they all (spain and catolonia) have many common cost, hospital, roads, currency, trade etc... remember after split, each need to have their own ... as i mentioned, this is horrible for BOTH Spain and Catalonia ,,, but I believe its worst for Catalonia compared to what media believe it will be.

There are some examples in the world where a state has most of the money and think " why we should care and pay for the rest?". Some are:
Khuzestan in Iran, Bayern in Germany and California in US.
Catalonia was not part Spain to begin with , but I see what you mean so tell them .. anyways they still need the approval of UN let alone Euro