'Celebrating Rouhani's victory in Iran makes a mockery of green movement'

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Excellent opinion article which covers a lot of the opinions expressed @ ISP and even some of the discussions down to the "t". Definitely worth a read and thought it deserved its own thread...

'Celebrating Rouhani's victory in Iran makes a mockery of green movement'

Tehran Bureau
July 12th, 2013
The Guardian

The evening the results of the presidential election were announced, I locked myself in – a voluntary house arrest. Moments after Hassan Rouhani's victory was officially endorsed, Tehran had burst into celebration. Hearing the happy clamor of crowds cheering the victory of their presidential candidate placed me, unexpectedly, within a minority.

This was the minority who had not voted because they do not believe in gradual reform within a militaristic theocracy, and because they are unwilling to trade the long-term interests of the Iranian people for skin-deep change.

It was a drunken sort of celebration (sans alcohol, of course). Those who voted must have needed to get drunk. With a deft sleight of hand, the regime had not only led the populace to vote, with no little hope and hoopla, for a conservative cleric from the military/security apparatus, but it also had them feeling that this time around their vote was not stolen, even that they had made history.

What the celebrations clarified was that we had, indeed, been played.
The middle class, scared out of its wits by the prospect of another Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, had demonstrated that it would accept whatever alternative the regime would allow. The burgeoning radicalism that, had there been a refusal to participate in the masquerade, could have dug in its roots and grown into a formidable challenge to the regime was forsworn. Ideals of freedom and civic participation gave way to a naïvely optimistic reliance on the right to vote.

Even a large number of experienced political activists, brandishing sentimental slogans about democracy, put their weight behind the election. The list of demands the crowd turned into impromptu slogans was so long and thorough that you would think Rouhani held the "key" (the symbol of his campaign) to a storehouse of panacea. One can only pray that it will not turn out to be hemlock instead.

The reality is that Rouhani is an excellent choice – for the ruling elite. The current condition of out-and-out economic and political bankruptcy demands a figure like him: someone with no real clout (has anyone paid him a thought in the past 30 years?) but clean enough hands to try and wipe away the memory of Ahmadinejad's corrupt, destructive presidency. Someone to blow hot air into the deflated balloon that carries the regime's banner of "democracy."

In the aftermath of Rouhani's election, the people's list of demands only grows: he is to release political prisoners, rein in the brutal Revolutionary Guards, end the atomic danse macabre with the west, convince the US to find another bad guy for its foreign policy, and so on. What is interesting is that the Iranian public could not possibly have forgotten the failure of reformist president Mohammad Khatami – with his much stronger mandate – to achieve very similar goals. The Khatami experiment now seems not so much like a bright spot in the past, but rather a short-lived flare in the dark.

Four years ago, the street clashes that followed the presidential election began with a stately gesture: a silent protest, composed of millions, who posed a simple, rhetorical question, "Where is my vote?" As the silence broke and the protests faced mounting violence, the question was turned into a promise to the lost: "Neda [Agha Soltan], Sohrab [Arabi], we will take back your vote!"

Now, in the jubilation that followed the announcement of Rouhani's victory, crowds declared the fulfillment of that promise: "Neda, Sohrab, we took back your vote!" Did no one stop to consider the absurdity of mirroring these two events: one in which Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei brazenly disregarded democratic procedure, and another in which he played the magnanimous father, generously allowing the vote to be counted?

Does not this second election, with its halo of legitimacy, make a mockery of the green movement? And do we not, as we dance before the cool stares of the same security forces that four years ago would have torn into our crowd, condone that mockery? The celebration was a willful attempt at disregarding such questions. That is inaction.

What is the relationship between those who voted for Rouhani and those who did not vote at all? It seems to me that the conversation has degenerated into mutual interrogations. The abstainers want to know why the other side consented to a compromise. The voters demand to know what the other side would have happen: Civil war? Foreign intervention? Total stasis?

The questions are pointless. The radical type of resistance in which abstainers such as I believe cannot be demanded. At the same time, people have a right to make compromises. They are not insensate. They know what sacrifices they can and cannot make.

Four years ago, Iran's green movement offered some lessons to the world about street politics. Today the lessons come from the streets of Egypt. Blind street politics, the type of politics that is concerned only with immediate personal or group interest, turns the populace into puppets of power.
What a statement it would have been if the same crowds who came out to protest against Mohammad Morsi in Egypt came out as well to protest the massacre of his supporters. As for the night the election results were announced in Iran, we should have come out, but not for a jig and a dance, rather for a stone-faced, defiant vigil.

For now, the only long-term benefit we Iranians can draw from the new, forthcoming presidency is to take advantage of the relative opening it offers and get down to the work of social organising, of training another generation to do political work. In this way, and today maybe only in this way, we can do honour to what and who has been lost in the fight for freedom.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Celebrations were not about Rohani. It was about using any excuse to get out and play loud music(very carefully I must add). We must be a nation of chameleons. Overnight, green turned to purple. Street vendors were selling purple balloons and purple scarfs. People knew their limits though. While streets were jammed with cars, nobody was getting out! That's how much people are willing to risk in today's Iran. There were some occasional music coming out of cars but even that you needed to look over your shoulder. You could feel the hunger for the most basic social freedom. It only lasted a few hours. It was all back to the dead the next morning.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Celebrations were not about Rohani. It was about using any excuse to get out and play loud music(very carefully I must add). We must be a nation of chameleons. Overnight, green turned to purple. Street vendors were selling purple balloons and purple scarfs. People knew their limits though. While streets were jammed with cars, nobody was getting out! That's how much people are willing to risk in today's Iran. There were some occasional music coming out of cars but even that you needed to look over your shoulder. You could feel the hunger for the most basic social freedom. It only lasted a few hours. It was all back to the dead the next morning.
It's so good to have you back bro. You were definitely missed. :friends:

Don't worry, it wasn't back to dead the next morning. It's all part of this secret epic battle against Islamism that we just don't understand because we are out of touch with Iranians and live outside the country! It's a highly sophisticated and well planned operation that does not involve foreign intervention, the Iranian army, national strikes, blank votes, protestors on the streets or even boycotting elections. Details of this epic plan are scarce at best and because of its sophistication, it's really hard to wrap your head around its intricacies. But from what I have gathered with my very limited understanding of such complex operations, it all comes down to legitimizing and strengthening the Islamic Republic for the next 4 years so that they can be defeated at the ballot box with another serious 6 hour street celebration taking place at that time.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Don't worry, it wasn't back to dead the next morning. It's all part of this secret epic battle against Islamism that we just don't understand because we are out of touch with Iranians and live outside the country! It's a highly sophisticated and well planned operation that does not involve foreign intervention, the Iranian army, national strikes, blank votes, protestors on the streets or even boycotting elections. Details of this epic plan are scarce at best and because of its sophistication, it's really hard to wrap your head around its intricacies. But from what I have gathered with my very limited understanding of such complex operations, it all comes down to legitimizing and strengthening the Islamic Republic for the next 4 years so that they can be defeated at the ballot box with another serious 6 hour street celebration taking place at that time.
Good job, you got the gist of the plan. :)

But in an update to the situation, people of Iran are about to change course as they have become aware of a brilliant roadmap for the future of Iran. This game changing roadmap is the result of years of tireless work by the best minds in the Iranian expatriate community, reflecting the pure genius that our nation is known for. This detailed roadmap is best described in the thoughtful document below by its visionary architect:

I suggested a roadmap. The concept of VF and the Guardian Council need to be removed from the Iranian constitution. That's the very first step ...
Stay tuned as analysts around the globe discuss the reaction of people in Iran to this defining moment in Iranian history:

what.jpg

Jan 23, 2003
A well written article full of emotional rhetoric that offers no alternative whatsoever!

Yes all the contents sound lovely in theory but If only theory could be directly applied into practice in the world of middle-eastern politics!

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Good job, you got the gist of the plan. :)

But in an update to the situation, people of Iran are about to change course as they have become aware of a brilliant roadmap for the future of Iran. This game changing roadmap is the result of years of tireless work by the best minds in the Iranian expatriate community, reflecting the pure genius that our nation is known for. This detailed roadmap is best described in the thoughtful document below by its visionary architect:

Stay tuned as analysts around the globe discuss the reaction of people in Iran to this defining moment in Iranian history:
Hey, at least most of the expat community is not sitting on the fence - they acknowledge that we need change and that we haven't got it. The masterminds of the epic battle neither acknowledge the need for change nor admit to themselves that they haven't achieved any!!! While most of the expat community refuses to take part in a process that's leading to the destruction of the country and its people, the masterminds of the epic battle encourage and cheer for people to participate in the process that's destroying their lives and country. You're right, I guess the expat community is not working as hard as the masterminds of the epic battle! ;)

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Hey, at least most of the expat community is not sitting on the fence -
Of course not, the army of revolutionary expats is working real hard and the world is abuzz by the roar of their keyboards!

On a more serious note, are you going to publish your manifesto, I mean roadmap, so that it can reach the masses? :)

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Of course not, the army of revolutionary expats is working real hard and the world is abuzz by the roar of their keyboards!

On a more serious note, are you going to publish your manifesto, I mean roadmap, so that it can reach the masses? :)
Last time I checked the roar of the keyboards was still louder than the silence of the lambs! :)

And you already have the roadmap and manifesto from me and the rest of the free world. It's called tough economic sanctions, removal from the world banking system, an angry public with seriously diminishing buying power, and potential military intervention unless the masterminds of the epic battle manage to achieve serious and real change and do it quickly.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
That is just one opinion. I have followed many Green Movement activists on their social media pages (some whom have been in prison in the aftermath of 88) and they all had a different opinion to this. Moreover, thanks to someone I know, I had the privilege of talking to someone via skype, who is a hardcore one and she is there at every protest. Most of her friends are activists as well she is friends with many of the political prisoners. She was going to meet Sohrab's mother the next day. What she said was totally to the opposite of what Flint is saying.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
I've read Khodam's posts for over a decade and he has pretty much held the same opinions for as long as I've seen him around here. He has a different opinion than mine and probably yours but he is no Sandis khor. If you complain about Chinaski being uncivil then you have to hold yourself to your own standards.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
Read the last few lines. It does offer an alternative. It's just that you would like to believe a nation has reached political maturity when they line up in droves to vote for a bunch of baboons.
He does not offer alternative! Maybe alternative to voting but not alternative to the regime. You seem to not understand the meaning of political maturity. You do not risk your live to oust bunch of baboons to replace them with whole lot other baboons. I am glad people are asking these questions and are not acting reactionary. That shows political maturity. Truth is that in Egypt, the secular opposition might not be organized as MB but they have far more credibility than the Iranian opposition. They could at the least UNITE from left to right under the umbrella of Egypt Salvation Front. Can the Iranian opposition do the same thing? Can they come to power in Iran without ripping each other apart? (they cannot do that here in a free country). Can they not get anything better than a "united" opposition called Iranian National Council,which some of its members are total clowns and baboons?

The day I see that happening I will be the first one supporting it. Till then, I am happy that people are not acting reactionary and are using their minds.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
Last time I checked the roar of the keyboards was still louder than the silence of the lambs! :)

And you already have the roadmap and manifesto from me and the rest of the free world. It's called tough economic sanctions, removal from the world banking system, an angry public with seriously diminishing buying power, and potential military intervention unless the masterminds of the epic battle manage to achieve serious and real change and do it quickly.
Sorry Bi-honar jan,

I just think that if you are as an expat worried about destruction of the country, you do not support those things. The things you mentioned are far more destructive and it is unknown if the military intervention could lead to the removal of IR.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
That roadmap will buy you many votes if you could run for president because it needs nothing from people. So wheels are in motion no matter what they do :)

Dude publish this amendment soon, or at least copyright it.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
He does not offer alternative! Maybe alternative to voting but not alternative to the regime. You seem to not understand the meaning of political maturity. You do not risk your live to oust bunch of baboons to replace them with whole lot other baboons. I am glad people are asking these questions and are not acting reactionary. That shows political maturity. Truth is that in Egypt, the secular opposition might not be organized as MB but they have far more credibility than the Iranian opposition. They could at the least UNITE from left to right under the umbrella of Egypt Salvation Front. Can the Iranian opposition do the same thing? Can they come to power in Iran without ripping each other apart? (they cannot do that here in a free country). Can they not get anything better than a "united" opposition called Iranian National Council,which some of its members are total clowns and baboons?

The day I see that happening I will be the first one supporting it. Till then, I am happy that people are not acting reactionary and are using their minds.
If Egyptians hadn't taken the radical step of demanding Mubaraks ouster a year ago they wouldn't be in this position anyway. Fact is when the revolution happened everyone and his uncle could have seen MB as the only party organized enough to win elections, and that was exactly what happened. It's taken everyone else over a year to be organized enough to be a viable coalition against MB. If the secular opposition in Egypt was always credible, Egypt wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. No things don't work like that. If Egypt now has a credible secular minded opposition we will have much more than that if the situation permits. We have a much longer history of a struggle against tyranny than Egypt.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
If Egyptians hadn't taken the radical step of demanding Mubaraks ouster a year ago they wouldn't be in this position anyway. Fact is when the revolution happened everyone and his uncle could have seen MB as the only party organized enough to win elections, and that was exactly what happened. It's taken everyone else over a year to be organized enough to be a viable coalition against MB. If the secular opposition in Egypt was always credible, Egypt wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. No things don't work like that. If Egypt now has a credible secular minded opposition we will have much more than that if the situation permits. We have a much longer history of a struggle against tyranny than Egypt.

The exact same sentiment was shared by Christian Amanpour in CNN.
She was talking about how just a year ago , MB was the ONLY organized political group is Egypt and there were no ORGANIZED secular opposition .
She said even today, the secular opposition is not as organized as MB and this is why they have to get their voice heard via street protests and ...
These are FACTS and denying them is simply being ignorant.

Last edited:

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
I think we have a lot of people inside Iran who could be credible secular minded. That is truth. However, unlike what you are saying the people who started the revolution in Egypt had been known to the people to some extent. There were many activists as well as known figures among them.

Iranian expats in a free country however, is quite sad. We have huge amount of academics. Unfortunately though, they cannot put anything credible together.