Charts that summarize what's wrong with America

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Krugman in response to the deficit and inflation hawks claiming the low interest rates on the US debt doesn't mean anything because the government is manipulating prices - which was brought up in this thread earlier:

"I’m getting a lot of the usual: namely, the claim that low interest rates don’t prove anything, because the Fed has been buying up all the federal government’s debt issue. This is always said with an air of great wisdom; in fact, it’s remarkably foolish, managing to be wrong in three distinct ways.First of all, it isn’t true that the Fed has consistently been buying a lot of Federal debt issue. Sometimes it has, sometimes it hasn’t; when QE2 stopped, there were widespread predictions that interest rates would spike, but they didn’t — as those of us who have been getting it right predicted.
Second, the idea is conceptually wrong. Asset prices should be determined mainly by the stocks of assets, not the changes in these stocks over short periods. If bond investors lose confidence in federal debt, there’s a huge outstanding stock of that debt for them to try to sell, driving rates up, no matter how much of the new issue the Fed might be buying.
But maybe the killer is this: since when do the kinds of people who worry all the time about deficits believe that the Fed can monetize a substantial part of a large deficit, for four whole years, without any negative consequences? If you believed in the framework these people have, all that expansion of the monetary base should have produced runaway inflation by now, as many of them did in fact predict early in the game. It hasn’t — and no, don’t give me the bit about the government hiding the true rate of inflation. Independent estimates are not significantly different from the official gauges.
Now, back in late 2008, contemplating the situation we were in, those of us who saw it in terms of basic IS-LM macro made a twofold prediction: as long as the economy stayed depressed, interest rates and inflation would both stay subdued despite both large deficits and a huge expansion of the Fed’s balance sheet. There was much scorn for that prediction at the time; how do you think it has looked since?"

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Latest from PK - how true.

"Under current conditions – that is, in a liquidity trap — it really doesn’t matter whether the government covers its deficit by selling debt or just printing money, which is why, among other things, using the platinum coin ploy to sidestep the debt ceiling would be harmless. (The MMTers showed up, as usual, to insist that debt versus money printing *never* makes a difference; but that’s a different story).

Why is this such an upsetting suggestion? Well, a significant number of people, well represented among those who tend to haunt comment boards, is firmly committed for whatever reason to the Eek! Zimbabwe! view of how the economy works, under which any government that has the temerity to deviate from gold-standard orthodoxy even in a deep slump is condemning its citizens to suffering the wrath of the market gods. The appeal of this view is, I think, both political and emotional; it goes along with the general view that doing anything to help the less fortunate (especially if it involves taxing the rich) invites disaster, and it also ties in with the desire to believe that you and your friends have the True Knowledge of how economies work.

You can imagine how disturbing such people find liquidity-trap economics. And as far as I can tell, hardly anyone who started with this view in, say, 2008 has been willing to consider the possibility that four-plus years of very high growth in the monetary base combined with subdued inflation proves them wrong, and actually vindicates the Keynesians. Instead, they still react to anything challenging their worldview with rage – and especially so if it’s stated calmly and analytically."

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I had this discussion here with people....Europeans are happy now because US economy news is the focus now while their problems are put under the rug for now. The argument runs the same way, monetary base, inflation, fiat money, blabla....and compare the US to Greece. Just saying, EMU has an unemployment rate of 11.6% and that's with Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg and Austria with 6-8%. If there's a demand for dollars, it might be an idea to create the supply too. And that at a time when IMF said that EU's austerity measures were too much and harmful.

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I had this discussion here with people....Europeans are happy now because US economy news is the focus now while their problems are put under the rug for now. The argument runs the same way, monetary base, inflation, fiat money, blabla....and compare the US to Greece. Just saying, EMU has an unemployment rate of 11.6% and that's with Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg and Austria with 6-8%. If there's a demand for dollars, it might be an idea to create the supply too. And that at a time when IMF said that EU's austerity measures were too much and harmful.
Interesting read below - albeit I couldn't understand the technical paper but IMF chief economist put out a technical paper pretty much saying they had their multipliers wrong when proposing austerity plans for Greece.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a-from-the-imfs-chief-economist-on-austerity/

Aug 26, 2005
Erm, you guys do realise that there is a debate on the right about the fact that these measures shouldn't be considered austere to begin with, right?

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Erm, you guys do realise that there is a debate on the right about the fact that these measures shouldn't be considered austere to begin with, right?
Greece just passed $17 B of spending cuts - ~10% of their GDP. I guess the great minds on the right would debate that this should be considered "zang-e tafrih" and not severe austerity.

This whole debate has never been about economics - it's been about ideologies. Just like Milton Friedman was a supporter of Hayek because of his ideologies and not his economics.