CIA Document on CIA 1953 coup in Iran

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
here is the the link and the introduction(complete text is too long for posting):

http://cryptome.org/cia-iran-all.htm

also check Dr.Mark Gasiorowski(LSU) commentary on this CIA document.

http://www.iranian.com/History/2000/July/Coup/index.html

CIA: Overthrow of Premier Mossadeq of Iran28 August 2000: Link to original New
York Times PDF files: http://cryptome.org/iran-cia/cia-iran-pdf.htm
11 July 2000: Typographical errors corrected. See also:
An informative commentary on July 6, 2000 about this report by Mark
Gasiorowski, a political science professor at Louisiana State University:
http://www.iranian.com/History/2000/July/Coup/index.html.
A 1997 New York Times report on the CIA's claim that all coup records were
lost: http://www.iranian.com/History/June97/CIA/index.shtml
A 1978 coup account published by the British journal Lobster in 1998 which
identified coup participants: http://cryptome.org/cia-iran-lob.htm
25 June 2000
On June 16, 2000, the New York Times published on its Web site PDF files of a
secret CIA report: "CLANDESTINE SERVICE HISTORY, OVERTHROW OF PREMIER MOSSADEQ
OF IRAN, November 1952-August 1953," an operation planned and executed by the
CIA and British SIS:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/mideast/041600iran-cia-index.html
The Times wrote in an introductory note that names of participants in the
overthrow were digitally edited from the report "after consultations with
historians who believed there might be serious risk that the families of some of
those named as foreign agents would face retribution in Iran."
Cryptome has recovered the majority of the edited text of the files and is
publishing the report unedited except for unrecoverable redactions (some
sections were secured by a method which prevented recovery, as noted at their
beginning below) and those sections and appendices which were not edited.
Restored text is shown in brackets below.
More on the edited text recovery method at: http://cryptome.org/cia-iran.htm
The New York Times is commended for publishing the report. It is a disturbing
document that should be widely read and pondered for the harm it so vividly
describes.

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
I always get a chill when I see some of my hamvatans actualy believe CIA or the British intelligence,.... would actualy publish politicaly sensetive documents - no matter how long after the fact !! Don't buy into such documents guys - that is what such organizations do !! I think that whole law of "Statute of limitations" is BS when it comes to international policies.
The whole idea is to give Iranians the notion that nothing happens in Iran unless it's planned from outside.

Oct 20, 2003
AMirza said:
The whole idea is to give Iranians the notion that nothing happens in Iran unless it's planned from outside.
LOL, there you again, I wonder why then Madeline Albright (former US Secretary of State and a astute foreign policy advisor) went out of her way to express her regret (while she was Secretary of State) over what happened in 1953.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0004/19/i_ins.00.html

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Iranpaak said:
I wonder why then Madeline Albright (former US Secretary of State and a astute foreign policy advisor) went out of her way to express her regret (while she was Secretary of State) over what happened in 1953.
Astute foreign policy advisor? The same astute advisor who went to North Korea and signed a nuclear treaty with them that was violated before her plane landed back in Washington? Democrats have made a habit of going overseas and attacking their country. And they feel so good after that. They are such enlighted intellectuals by acknowledging the "grievances" of the third world. Add Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter to the list(please go away. You had your turn). The sad thing is that they always end up with eggs on their face. By saying ghalat kardim they think everybody is going to love the US. Next think you know wham, there goes another embassy, building etc.

Oct 20, 2003
Flint, The topic of this thread is the 1953 Coup. If you want to debate Democrats vs Republicans accomplishments or failures, open a new thread and let's discuss it there.

Oct 20, 2003
Flint said:
You are the one who is admiring Albright, in the middle of the discussion about 1953 coup. I am just following up.
You just zoomed in on "astute foreign advisor" and ignored the curx of my post. Just ignore the "astute" part if you disagree.

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
FZ - below the belt for your standards.
Hakha was a movement of disarabification of Iran - and quiet successful.

Albright apologized indeed - in fact she would have given Khamenei a lap dance if she was asked - it was the mood of the white house at the time !!! (ala clinton-lewinsky). This reminds of the words of another great American democrat politician - Jimmy Carter;
He called Iran the land of stability at the very time, the Brits were briefing then retired General Hauser on his mission to disarm the Iranian armed forces.

Iranpaak - if these are too much for you - don't panic - relax take a deep breath and think again. A couple of retired US Generals was all they needed to pull it off under the nose of another American foreign policy idiot - Jimmy.

Last edited:

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
We were advised to get back on the topic at hand! 28 of Mordad is frequently referred to as a coup. Some people call it ghiameh melli. I won't go that far but I do know that it could not be called a coup. A coup, by definition, is forcefull removal of the head of the state by lower echelons. They basically want his job. Nasser staged a coup against King Farouk. Abdul Karim Ghassem et al, army officers, overthrew King Faisal. How can the Shah stage a coup against his own prime minister? He is the SHAH! Is he looking for a demotion? What legal standing did Mosadegh have to kick the Shah out? You could argue that Mosadegh staged a coup.I am not saying Mosadegh would have been good or bad for Iran. No one knows. For all I know Iran could have become another soviet satellite in a few years. I am a bit tired of just hearing one side of the story and what a behesht Iran would have been if only he could have stayed.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
it is funny that american let a czech applogized for them , i don't know akhound's regime would accept an appolgy from jewish who belive in zionism and her real name is not even albright . bill was a funny dude . i still like him

Oct 20, 2003
Flint, based on Iranian constitution at the time, the Shah needed the parliament's vote and approval in order to remove the prime minister. Parliament's vote was never secured by the Shah and therefore, his action to remove Mossadegh by force was arbitrary and illegal.

Oct 18, 2002
Iranpaak said:
Flint, based on Iranian constitution at the time, the Shah needed the parliament's vote and approval in order to remove the prime minister. Parliament's vote was never secured by the Shah and therefore, his action to remove Mossadegh by force was arbitrary and illegal.
Just to play devil's advocate here( :)): Because Mosaddegh had dissolved the parliament with a national referendum, an action that was without precedence or ground in Iranian constitution, there was no parliament in place to remove him.

Oct 20, 2003
deerouz said:
Just to play devil's advocate here( :)): Because Mosaddegh had dissolved the parliament with a national referendum, an action that was without precedence or ground in Iranian constitution, there was no parliament in place to remove him.
I would say people's direct vote is always supreme, the national referendum was the wishes of people, therefore it was the law. The fact that there was no precedence is immaterial.
Second, there was no emergency, no immediate threat or anything needing to act on on the part of the Shah, he could have waited until the new parliament was sworn in. After all the Shah was not suppose to govern.
Lastly, the fact that parliament was not in session did not give extraordinary authority to the Shah to take over. As you know the Shah himself was reluctant to sign the illegal dissmal, presumbly he knew he was acting illegally. My 2 cents as you say.

Oct 19, 2002
toronto
sorry Iranpaak jan BUT AND THIS IS A BIG BUT
MOSADEGH WAS ILLEGAL PRIME MINISTER SINCE:
1)HE DISSOLVED THE DULY ELECTED DOMCRATIC PARLIMENT WHICH HAD THE RIGHT TO DISMISS HIM BUT MAJLES COULD NOT BE DIMIISSED BY ANYONE EXCEPT SHAH UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.MOSADEGH FELT THAT MAJLES WAS GOING TO DO JUST THAT AND HE ILLEGALY DISSOLVED IT JUST LIKE MOHAMMAD ALI SHAH GHAJAR HIS REAL LIFE UNCLE FOR THE SECOND TIME IN HISTORY.INTERSTINGLY YOU KNEW THAT BUT YOUR MEMORY SOMEHOW FAILED WHICH IS VERY PECULIAR.HOW YOU KNOW SO MUCH BUT OMIT CERTAIN THINGS.
2)HE WAS DISMISSED BY SHAH BUT REFUSED.THERFORE HE BECAME AN ILLEGAL PRIME MINISTER AND A DICTATOR.
every one knows that i am no admirer of shah but mosadegh was no hero of anything for iran.he was and always will be just another demoguge.shahpour Bakhtyar and Amir Entezam and even Ganji are True heros of iran,I HOPE SOME DAY WE STOP WORSHIPING NOBODIES.

Oct 20, 2003
Agha Cyrus, two things should be noted, first, it was people's vote in a referendum which authorized the prime minister to dismiss the 17th Majles. Second, the Shah did not have authority to remove Mossadegh or any other prime minister for that matter based on Iran's constitution.
I worship no one, I respect and admire men (and women) who worked for the rule of law, and those who served the interests of iran and Iranians. To the best of my knowledge all the people you consider as true heros of Iran, have (or had) highest respect for Mossadegh.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Iranpaak]Agha Cyrus, two things should be noted, first, it was people's vote in a referendum which authorized the prime minister to dismiss the 17th Majles. Second, the Shah did not have authority to remove Mossadegh or any other prime minister for that matter based on Iran's constitution.
IP jAn,
Iranian constitutional revolution of 1906 happened because Iranians didn't want to have despot ruling over them, they never said we don't want a Monarch just rejected one man's rule regime. Shah was educated in Europe and he clearly understood the rule of law. No doubt he did enormous good thing for our nation but doing all he crossed the Supreme Law of his own nation. He could still accomplish the objectives by presenting his porposals to Prim Minister and ultimately having them approved by Representative of people in Majlis and by doing this I don't believe Iranians would have any reason to revolt in 1978.
I guess POWER will make any one blind.
I worship no one, I respect and admire men (and women) who worked for the rule of law, and those who served the interests of iran and Iranians. To the best of my knowledge all the people you consider as true heros of Iran, have (or had) highest respect for Mossadegh.
Even the Shah himself had a great deal of respect for Dr. Mossadegh and I strongly believe it was this respect which saved Mr. Mossadegh from going to gallows.

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Flint said:
How can the Shah stage a coup against his own prime minister? He is the SHAH! Is he looking for a demotion? What legal standing did Mosadegh have to kick the Shah out?
Shah informed of the plan. He did not stage it.

Mossadegh did not kick the Shah out. He fled after the first coup attpemt failed.

He did not even know the second attmept was going and learned about it after it succeeded .

He staged nothing. He was simply broght back to power. Get yoru facts right.

The best way to understand what Shah believed in 1953 is to simply read your posts. Your stout devotion to foreigners and your condemnation of Iranians is the philosophy the shadow of God held.

You are upset that the Democrats sell their nation aboard. And exactly what is it that Zahedi, Shaban, and people like you do?