Computer Question, is it worth it?

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ok people, I'm about to buy a computer but i have a few questions regarding my choices. I want a system to work well for at least 3-4 years

first option:
P4 Processor 521 with HT Technology (2.8 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
-512 MB (DDR@ SDRAM)
-80GB SATA Hard Drive
-CD Burner/DVD combo drive

COST: $700

second option:
P4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
-512 MB (DDR@ SDRAM)
-160GB SATA Hard Drive
-128MB ATI RADEON X 300 SE HyperMemory
-DVD Burner

COST: $1000

I don't play games nor do i watch movies on the computer. Also, I really don't need the DVD burner(it is not a big plus).
The question im really asking is it worth spending an extra $300 for a the second option?

looking forward to your answer

Bardia

p.s. please have in mind that i tend to open a lot of applications at once

wvupersian

Bench Warmer
Feb 10, 2005
West Virginia
www.wvu.edu
Intoxicated said:
Ok people, I'm about to buy a computer but i have a few questions regarding my choices. I want a system to work well for at least 3-4 years

first option:
P4 Processor 521 with HT Technology (2.8 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
-512 MB (DDR@ SDRAM)
-80GB SATA Hard Drive
-CD Burner/DVD combo drive

COST: $700

second option:
P4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
-512 MB (DDR@ SDRAM)
-160GB SATA Hard Drive
-128MB ATI RADEON X 300 SE HyperMemory
-DVD Burner

COST: $1000

I don't play games nor do i watch movies on the computer. Also, I really don't need the DVD burner(it is not a big plus).
The question im really asking is it worth spending an extra $300 for a the second option?

looking forward to your answer

Bardia

p.s. please have in mind that i tend to open a lot of applications at once
i would say look for something with M processor but $300 worth it.

Zopyrus

Bench Warmer
Aug 11, 2004
Buy the best computer you can, even if you don't "need" a dvd burner, don't watch movies, don't play games. There will come a time when it'd be great to have a dvd burner (i.e. some friend may borrow you a CD of an old classic iranian movie, or a decent game that u'd like a copy of), or a good standard pc that runs smooth when watching a movie (i.e. you find a site where you can get many classic movies that u'd like to watch), or a decent graphic while playing games with your buds (i.e. online gaming).

At first it's always.."why do I need that and this and this..i'm good with only the basic" but when you feel you've mastered the basic.. you want some more stuff.. u'll end up spending money on games, or burner or whatever..

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
you told us what u AINT using it for, but what u actually use this for? if you want something to check e-mails then first is good, but if u wana do for example video editing, then none are good ! so what u wana do palys an important part !

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
Both computers are over priced and the extra $300 is not worth the money because:
The difference between them 2 is:
50$ CPU 2.8 is no more in the market
25$ Harddisk
50$ DVD burner 16x
<50$ x300 but I doubt it I guess it is onboard there are cheap options of on board x300 video

Difference == $175 so it is not worth it

The configuration above (2nd one ) is very similar to Dell's cheapest PC, which with the same features is sold for 700$ and adding a 17" monitor ==$750
Buy a 3-4 year warranty and you would never have any problem with DELL services

DELL == Crapy computers but excellent service, they never let you down and repair and send back in 5 Bussiness days. I have had my laptop sent there and repaired 3 times. Almost all the parts are changed :)

At this price all computers are almost the same so I think you need not to worry about the quality.

1st option very similar to Dimension E310 Pentium
2nd option very similar to Dimension E510 <== proven to be good
at http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/entdt?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

or in canada:
1st configuration Dimension 3100 + Monitor ==700 CAD$

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dt_essentials?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

For average part price see www.memoryexpress.net

I just saw you live in Toronto so ignore the US Dell info. Beside the price difference for the computer parts are worst case difference so it is the highest price difference.
Good luck.

Last edited:

buzz

Bench Warmer
May 21, 2003
Ohio
You can have option 1 for $500-$600...If you don't play game then your option is too powerfull for average usage, unless you do alot of image editing or some huge a$$ program.

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
thanks for all your responses

I looked into the options carefully and i realized pricewise they are not that heck of a deal (i used the prices as bench mark). i was just wondering the $300 was worth it.

Aside from MS office applications, The computer will be used for:
- some graphic work (not so advanced) using Photoshop, Flash, etc.
- Running 10 programs and 20 windows at the same time

i talked to afew other people and appearently the second option is a safe choice if i can get it for $800ish price.

is any company better than Dell?

Bardia

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Spend good money on the monitor. Get a nice monitor that is easy on the eyes. It is the monitor that you look at all the time. And 3-4 years from now, you probably don't need to replace your monitor. That's the best advice I can give you.

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Finally said:
Spend good money on the monitor. Get a nice monitor that is easy on the eyes. It is the monitor that you look at all the time. And 3-4 years from now, you probably don't need to replace your monitor. That's the best advice I can give you.
100% agree
a need for good monitor has been established in my family since 6 yrs ago.

i bought a really good computer back in Dec 1999 (P3 600), but it was its superb monitor that fascinated me. A 19' screen beauty .. and to this day I can't question its performance.. I spent $750 for it and it was worth every penny..

Bardia

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Bardia jan, buy AMD! It's much better than Intel (pentium) and it's cheaper too.

Anyways, IMO, if your work with the pc, is only too surf in the internet, typing afew documents and maybe listening to some MP3 songs every now and then (no movies, no games), I think both of the options you mentioned are not worth it at all.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
For what it's worth, this HP computer (m7250n) is what I recently bought for around $900 after rebates, but before taxes. I also got a 19" Samsung flat panel 930B for $320. I am so far very happy with both.

Pentium D (Dual core) 820 2.8 GHz
1 Gig Ram
250 GB hard disk
ATI X300 PCI-express video card
DVD-ROM
Dual layer Laserscribe DVD writer
TV tuner with video capture and Radio

On that basis, the systems you mention are overpriced. One thing I would recommend for sure is that since you are planning on running multiple applications and will be doing some graphics work (not 3D gaming) that you get at least 1 Gig of RAM (2 if you can afford an extra $60-100), and a decent video card (doesn't need to be high end).

A nice monitor is always a must. My old Dell system (which belongs to my son now) had a 19" Trinitron tube and was just fabulous, until I got the Samsung flat panel, and the old tube seems a little faded and smooth, compared to the sharp picture and the high contrast of the flat panel. Good luck to you in selecting a computer.