CQ's substitution

ferdosi

Bench Warmer
Apr 21, 2004
I have now seen the game 3 times. I rewinded and watched the close chances a few more times. I have seen the goal probably 20 to 30 times. So hard to watch every single time.

Anyways My take on CQ substitution was that atleast his last substitution, was just done to kill time, no other reason. The same way Argentinas very last substitution was just to kill time. Unfortunately, CQ's last substitution as many correctly pointed was a mistake. Hajsafi pretty much had Messi under control. He had played along side with him the entire game bringing in Haghighi instead of Haj safi was a big mistake. I wish CQ as also some people mentioned would had substitute Gucci (which was out of breath) towards the end instead of hajsafi, and I wish that he would had brought in either Ansarifard or Bejkzadeh in. Ansarifard because of his speed basically exchanging forward with forward, or Bejkzadeh a good defender who is GREAT in AIR, for possible last min corners or set pieces. Anyways to late to do anything now but learn a lesson. So close still so far away. :(

May 12, 2007
You can't win without taking risks. He says in order to win he made these substitutions and they were risky. His problem is lose or tie dose not change anything for us. Because in both case we need to win against Bosnia. But I just hope to understand why he took Hajsafi out. And why not using DJ in right wing where he usually plays in England?
BTW: where do you want to use Beikzadeh?

Last edited:

Spook

Football Fan
Jun 20, 2014
On the face of it, it was a poor substitution and I'm still struggling to understand it. Even from a time-wasting point of view, it was made far to early. I actually put my hands to my head and thought what the hell is he doing? Our defence was so tight and finely balanced that it just didn't adjust to the new formation.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
TM was doing regional defending very deep in their own field ... while certain individual can play closely to the opposite forward, few players are responsible for certain regions.
That makes the defending team very tired and CQ had to the substitution to keep this strategy going. So Haj Safi wasn't the only player that was on Messi there are few players had to be around that region that Messi is most likely resides.
That is my opinion.

Feb 22, 2005
That is a good point too. It seems like he took Haj Safi out because he was tired and probably thought he might not be able to cover for the last few minutes where Messi go all out, Messi always does.

I just dont understand how there were always 3 to 4 players around the corner where Messi mostly seem to start his killer attack. He always make a pass to the outside taking defender focus away then moves forward and gets the pass out and run along the outside box border line and either takes a shot or cuts in if he sees opportunities.

Iran always had 3 or 4 people meeting Messi right outside of the box and covered him well and many times taking the ball away from him. On the last attack, there was only one player several feet away from Messi. What happened there?

It is also worth mentioning this was probably one of the best goals Messi has scored from a very hard angle and perfectly sending over defenders.

TM was doing regional defending very deep in their own field ... while certain individual can play closely to the opposite forward, few players are responsible for certain regions.
That makes the defending team very tired and CQ had to the substitution to keep this strategy going. So Haj Safi wasn't the only player that was on Messi there are few players had to be around that region that Messi is most likely resides.
That is my opinion.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I have now seen the game 3 times. I rewinded and watched the close chances a few more times. I have seen the goal probably 20 to 30 times. So hard to watch every single time.

Anyways My take on CQ substitution was that atleast his last substitution, was just done to kill time, no other reason. The same way Argentinas very last substitution was just to kill time. Unfortunately, CQ's last substitution as many correctly pointed was a mistake. Hajsafi pretty much had Messi under control. He had played along side with him the entire game bringing in Haghighi instead of Haj safi was a big mistake. I wish CQ as also some people mentioned would had substitute Gucci (which was out of breath) towards the end instead of hajsafi, and I wish that he would had brought in either Ansarifard or Bejkzadeh in. Ansarifard because of his speed basically exchanging forward with forward, or Bejkzadeh a good defender who is GREAT in AIR, for possible last min corners or set pieces. Anyways to late to do anything now but learn a lesson. So close still so far away. :(
Agreed. Here is more on that:
تعویض حاج صفی اشتباه بزرگ کیروش
آی اسپورت در مقاله ای نوشت:
حاج صفى دیشب براى کیروش شاه مهره ى بازى بود. بازیکنى که از نظر سرعت مداوم و استارت هاى بااهداف تخریبى-دفاعى شاید سریع ترین بازیکن ایران است. شاید به خاطر دارید که او مدت هاى مدید در سپاهان در نقش هافبک دفاعى-میانى (باکس تو باکس) بازى مى کرد؛ و حالا کیروش این قابلیت را در او احیا کرده است.
او در بازى با نیجریه، هنوز با شرح وظایف خود اش به عنوان هافبک وسط تطبیق پیدا نکرده بود و مرتب به کناره ى چپ گرایش پیدا مى کرد و این خلا باعث بى سرانجام شدن بسیارى از توپ گیرى هاى آندو و دیگران در بازى ى اول شد.
اما دیشب او بى نقص بازى کرد. با حضور حاج صفى در میانه ى میدان در کنار نکونام و تیموریان در این دو بازى ما در واقع با یک هافبک دفاعى ى ایستا (نکونام) و دو هافبک باکس تو باکس با وظایف متعادل تخریبى-بازى سازى (حاج صفى و آندو) داشتیم.
نحوه ى حرکت بدون توپ و توپ گیرى هاى حاج صفى در میانه ى زمین در تعارض با دامنه ى حرکت هاى لیونل مسى بود و دقیقا با تعویض او و به بازى آمدن رضا حقیقى (که بیش تر براى اتلاف وقت به نظر مى رسید) مسى سرانجام لحظه یى آسایش و تنفس پیدا کرد...
[/SIZE

This sub was to kill time but unfortunately it gave Messi space to get 3 points.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I don't agree with the analysis Zob Ahan Jan ...

Just go watch minute 80-90 of the game once again and you will realize why the substitution took place ... In the last 10 minutes, Iran had the ball 2 times in Argentina's half, one only serious attack with Jahanbakhsh passing to Gucci. In minute 78, the Argentinean coach brought Palacio and Levazzi and prior to Messi goal, they had penetrated on the right hand side many times. Argentina was sending balls from left and right to our box. While they didn’t' create serious chances, we were under pressure and CQ had to do something. He brought Ashkan and Haj Safi for more running in the back. He was shouting at players to defend hard. Palacio was doing a lot of running on the right side and was dangerous few times. Messi goal was spectacular and I mean there were 10 players in our box when that happened (every single player).

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I don't agree with the analysis Zob Ahan Jan ...

Just go watch minute 80-90 of the game once again and you will realize why the substitution took place ... In the last 10 minutes, Iran had the ball 2 times in Argentina's half, one only serious attack with Jahanbakhsh passing to Gucci. In minute 78, the Argentinean coach brought Palacio and Levazzi and prior to Messi goal, they had penetrated on the right hand side many times. Argentina was sending balls from left and right to our box. While they didn’t' create serious chances, we were under pressure and CQ had to do something. He brought Ashkan and Haj Safi for more running in the back. He was shouting at players to defend hard. Palacio was doing a lot of running on the right side and was dangerous few times. Messi goal was spectacular and I mean there were 10 players in our box when that happened (every single player).
IIAF jan thanks for the reply. I have to watch the game once again tonight and after that I will respond.
Cheers

Oct 18, 2010
carlos' substitutions were fine.the only thing one could have done at the closing
moments of the match was to do some grass rolling to waste time and disrupt argentina's
rhythm.even the usa did some of that yesterday against portugal.

but when you are coaching a team whose nickname is 'honor of persia' it would be
disgraceful to resort to those tactics.i salute carlos for telling his team to observe
absolute fair play throughout the match and i commend the players for listening
to their coach.