Current floods in Iran

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Rood Khoshk doesn't have to flood for Shiraz streets to submerge. When I was a kid, all it took was an hour of moderate rain and many streets around Kolbeh neighborhood were underwater. I even have pictures of me swimming in Shiraz flood waters in that neighborhood! I can't believe a simple underground water channel is still a mysterious invention to Iranian civil engineering.

Toronto literally has rivers and rivers of rain/snow water flowing under it all year long. It's so simple and effective you wonder how this is not done everywhere.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Perhaps is because environmental studies are not done or not taken seriously?
Or in case of Turkmen Sahara,ruthless uprooting of forest trees for the sake of wood industries and no mitigation for replacement?
The deforestation argument is completely irrelevant and only an excuse for some people to fish in muddy waters. Forests aren't exactly flood barriers. They only marginally help slow the water and its accumulation.

Water channels have been used throughout history to prevent floods. Either over ground or underground. They're not expensive or even resource intensive. Pour some concrete (or use ready-made modules) and divert the water to a lake or river. Done all over the world for centuries.

Doesn't Iran boast about its concrete production abilities and how it's the #1 producing nation in the world? Doesn't Iran have an unemployment problem that the government constantly boats about remedying?

Here's an idea:
1. Make concrete
2. Hire a few dozen people in every city to make channels

No more floods

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
من نمیفهمم, مگه سرزمین امام زمان نیست؟ پس این مرتیکه کجاست به چه درد میخوره ؟ هرچی بلا و بدبختی, و سیل و زلزله و فلاکته که تو همین مملکته. بلاد کفر تو اروپا تو ناز و نعمت و سرسبزی زندگی میکنن , اونوقت امت امام زمان باید اینجوری بکشن.
Thought you opined threads are worthless yet dont hesitate to comment in them.

Lol fuckin busted low life mental case

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Thought you opined threads are worthless yet dont hesitate to comment in them.

Lol fuckin busted low life mental case
Please stop this. I deleted the rest of the posts without warnings ONLY this time. Next time it will cause a ban (that's what the software is telling me). There was no reason for you to start this crap again. You knew exactly how it would turn out, yet decided to derail the thread.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
Thanks for the heads up.. was a civil interact on my part as you observed... there sure is a lot of lajan out there and seeing an infant getting lost while adult losing his footing in the floods is heart breaking

Last edited:

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
The relationship between deforestation and floods have been studied and well documented in academic circles of hydrologist and environmental scientists .
Below is just a portion of one article in plain language that suggests some of the contributing

Forests 'n flooding
At its root, the flood equation is pretty simple: If a river cannot handle the load of water it's required to carry, it must rise. With enough water, it must rise above its banks and flood.

The faster water runs from the watershed into the river, the higher a flood will be. Thus anything that increases runoff speed -- like excessive pavement or ditching of farmland -- will contribute to floods.

Deforestation plays several roles in the flooding equation because trees prevent sediment runoff and forests hold and use more water than farms or grasslands.

Some rainwater stays on the leaves, and it may evaporate directly to the air (the more water used in the watershed, the less remains to run off).
Leaves reduce raindrop impact, and gentler rain causes less erosion.
Tree roots absorb water from the soil, making the soil drier and able to store more rainwater.
Tree roots hold the soil in place, reducing the movement of sediment that can shrink river channels downstream.
The loss of trees played a major role in the huge Yangtze flood of 1998, says Janet Abramovitz of Worldwatch, who observes that the Yangtze watershed had lost 85 percent of its forest cover in the past few decades. Although two other causes of trouble that we'll examine shortly were also at play -- loss of wetlands and river engineering -- Abramovitz says the Chinese government "was trying to blame it all on heavy rains, maybe El Nino or global warming." She says a new, $2 billion plan to reforest the Yangtze basin is "Certainly ... a very clear sign from the government that deforestation was a problem

May 9, 2004
خدا بیامرزدشون انهایی که کشته شدند
من نمیدونم امسال چرا این همه سیل تو منطقه میاد
تو این کویت که بارون زیاد نمیامد امسال چنان سیلی امد که هزاران خانه را اب گرفت
و دها هزار اتومبیل به گاه رفت و چند نفر کشته شدند
البته اینجا کوه و تپه نداره و کنار دریاست
والا با این بارانی که امد دها و شاید صدها نفر کشته میشدند

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
Human element definitely a factor in this disaster,
Deforestation of Golestan, filling up and paving of flood channel next to darvazeh Gholam Shiraz and the poor management despite advance weather forecast .