Daei sues Toyota

Payam

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
Earth
www.iransportspress.com
[h=1]Iran football great Ali Daei 'sues Toyota' over crash[/h] By Mohsen Asgari BBC News, Tehran
Ali Daei reportedly suffered a head injury in the car accident, requiring surgery
Iranian football great Ali Daei is suing Toyota because the airbags in his car did not deploy in a crash that left him seriously hurt, his family says.
His car overturned as he drove to the capital, Tehran, from Isfahan on 17 March, after a match involving Rah Ahan, the team he now coaches.
His brother said the airbags did not work, but a Toyota official in Iran said they might have been switched off.
The 42-year-old is the world's top goalscorer in international matches.
He scored 109 goals in 149 international games for Iran.
'Divorced the Toyota' Daei, who was also a striker for Iran's Team Melli and Bayern Munich in Germany, suffered a head injury in the car accident which required surgery, Iranian media reported at the time.
He was travelling in his Toyota Prado with his brother, Mohammed, and the coach of Rah Ahan, a team based in Tehran suburb of Rey that plays in the Iran Pro League (IPL).
Mohammed Daei said they had refrained from sending the car to a garage for repair so they could prove that its 18 airbags did not work.
"He is driving his Porsche and has divorced the Toyota for the time being," he added.
But a Toyota spokesman in Tehran, who asked not to be named, told the BBC it did not believe the airbags had malfunctioned.
"It is hard to believe that in such an accident the airbags did not work. There is an on-and-off switch in these models and perhaps they had put the switch set to 'off'," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17756749

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
If this is published on BBC, then it's quite a bad publicity for Toyota I must say.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Here we go, the legendary sriker continues to score on Japanese at the international level!
loool! for the record VIVA Toyota, specially Toyota Yaris!;)

taraf khodesh eteraf mikone khabesh borde paye farmun, unvaght bayad Toyota's airbag wake him up to prevent a deadly accident?!!!

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
loool! for the record VIVA Toyota, specially Toyota Yaris!;)

taraf khodesh eteraf mikone khabesh borde paye farmun, unvaght bayad Toyota's airbag wake him up to prevent a deadly accident?!!!
Airbags are there to save your life not to teach you proper conduct!

They should've absolutely deployed and Daei has every right to demand compensation.

And why the hell is there a switch to turn the airbags off?!! Very hard to believe.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Its the first time that I hear of an airbag that has on/off switch. If true and it did not deploy Toyota should pay compensation and do a check or a recall as they can jeopardize a lot of lives.

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
Is there official Toyota dealer in Iran? If the car was imported then it might have been modified by importer.

ahmad-a

Bench Warmer
Feb 9, 2007
Its the first time that I hear of an airbag that has on/off switch. If true and it did not deploy Toyota should pay compensation and do a check or a recall as they can jeopardize a lot of lives.
I've heard about the off switch on the passenger side but not the driver side. What I have heard is that having airbag is more dangerous than not having it for passengers below some height.

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
I never heard of a car having an On/Off switch for the Airbag... the only explanation I could think of is that driving in a usually packed street of Tehran (or other large cities in Asia) you want to turn it off so it won't deploy in case of a fender bender.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
what the hell come to think of it, i got into an accident with my Audi A4 and the airbags did not deploy, the front bumper was kinda destroyed.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
what the hell come to think of it, i got into an accident with my Audi A4 and the airbags did not deploy, the front bumper was kinda destroyed.
oh shoot akhey teflaki..sorry to hear that. did u check it out? and it was normal without airbag deploying?

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Airbags don't deploy with every accident. There is a minimum level of impact and certain collision angles that must be met for the airbags to deploy.

In Daei's case though, they should've definitely deployed as the car was hit very hard in every direction and it actually rolled over multiple times. The fact that they didn't deploy is pretty messed up.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
oh shoot akhey teflaki..sorry to hear that. did u check it out? and it was normal without airbag deploying?
No I didn't check it out. It didn't even occur to me until now. It was over a year ago. It was a newer car so I assume everything was ok with it. Maybe the collision impact was not enough, my front bumper was destroyed but the car was not totaled.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
That is like having an off and on switch for the brakes.