Decline of football during Ahmadi Nejad's era

saeed agha

IPL Player
Oct 20, 2002
UAE
Don't you notice that Iranian football has not achieved ANYTHING during AN era? correct me if I am wrong but i don't remeber any achievement on any level (maybe except futsal's recent sucess) in football..

I guess it has to do with bad planning, and not having the right people in the right place.

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
Not defending M13 neither, but didn't Sepahan become Asian finalist early in his term? To M13's credit, he still did not have enough time to have any effect.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Yes, absolutely!
Now our TM's game is over by ten days, we can see the performance of our clubs whic are nothing better! This shows lack of management and bad organization in football as a whole...
Now we have to be fair and square and accept the fact that Iran does not deserve 4 teams in ACL, maybe AFC did this to prove it to us how worthless we are!!
I didn't see anything special from Saba against Pakhtakor, no attacking, no tactic, no creativity... Esteghlal is even worse, I did not watch their game but the result speaks for itself... It's hard to absorb it when Esteghlal loses to a small qatari team when they are doing so well in the league! It's very sad to watch and follow these teams as a fan... Just imagine for those of us who leave outside Iran what those fans inside Iran are going through...
We've gone from bad to worse and worse...

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Not defending M13 neither, but didn't Sepahan become Asian finalist early in his term? To M13's credit, he still did not have enough time to have any effect.
not getting political here but he did have a huge effect actually. AN brought Aliabadi as one of his Ministres as soon as he took office(his former deputy in City), then immediately Aliabadi sacked Dadkan after WC 2006 which lead to Iran's suspension by FIFA.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=393454&cc=5901

then when IFF Election SHOW happened, Aliabadi participating in it, and then paving the way for Kafashian to take IFF job, he then appointed Reza Qarakhanloo as head of Iran Olympic Committee, in which that olympic disaster happened and then Aliabadi sacked him and he himself suspeciously got elected as head of Olympic committee.

It was bc of AN's appointment, Aliabadi that we got suspended by FIFA, didnt have a coach for one year after WC 2006 and then they selected GHN. and it was during Kafashian that in the past 1.5 years, we were either without TM coach or very poor appointments were made.

Now compare that to MehrAlizadeh's reign as head of PEO 5 yrs ago and Safaei Farahani as IFF president. Our WC qualification, good displays at Asian Cup, and great foreign coaches we had ,such as Ivic-Blazevic, were all during these 2's managements.

AN has really screwed up our football just like everything else in our country in the past 4 yrs.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Before Akhonds we had our share of achievments most importand 3 times Asian Champion but nothing after Monkeys took over.
Right. What I meant was that we haven't achieved anything in the long time. Obviously we won couple of Asian games and EsEs and pas won Asian cups but it was way long ago.

Feb 7, 2009
I know and I am sure that you knew about our record before Akhonds but I just wanted to say that and may be feel better with callng Akhonds Monkeys.

St_Mark

IPL Player
Oct 30, 2004
USA
Don't you notice that Iranian football has not achieved ANYTHING during AN era? correct me if I am wrong but i don't remeber any achievement on any level (maybe except futsal's recent sucess) in football..

I guess it has to do with bad planning, and not having the right people in the right place.
Iranian football were in decline before he got in power, But it is fair to say, this decline continued during his presidency and his deputy AliAbadi made it worse.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
You have a great point Saeed agha jan.

In fact it all started with Ahmadinejad's stupid comment about Israel should be wiped off the map. I remember we had the chance of 2-3 great friendlies before the WC2006, including games with Spain, Ukraine and Romania. But right after that comment, they all suddenly lost interest and we had a very hard time finding friendlies..

After that it all have just gone downhill. IFF have only supported Iranian coaches and our football has slowly gone back to 1996 and Mayeli Kohan's era, with Asghar taragheh style. Only this time, we don't even have Daei, Azizi, Bagheri and Abedzadeh to do the job for us.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Now compare that to MehrAlizadeh's reign as head of PEO 5 yrs ago and Safaei Farahani as IFF president. Our WC qualification, good displays at Asian Cup, and great foreign coaches we had ,such as Ivic-Blazevic, were all during these 2's managements.
Nilou,

I don't know if you recall but at the time of Safaei's IFF presidency, people were blaming his federation left and right! I guess we iranians are good at complaining no matter what...
Perhaps we need to stop complaining and start being pragmatic ourselves, by saying this, I am not trying to defend anyone or any group.
It is easier to be critical than being constructive and that's what we need to do if we are seeking to make changes. Every country has its ups and downs and right now, we are going through that down cycle...
Of course, politics may play a role in this as well but remember african countries or even south american ones are not doing so much better than Iran, if not worse... but you don't see the poor level of their soccer being so much blamed cuz of their politics or government.
My point is: We as a nation have a lot of work to do, our soccer players have to start acting professional just like clubs managements, staff, etc. our coaches need to be taught and apply rather than talk and talk, players need to learn the basics of soccer, positioning, style of play, speed, fitness, etc., management has to be willing to make things happen, take risks, spend wisely... we need to support our team for 90 minutes (not humiliate or embarass).
We need to change our attitude...

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Nilou,

I don't know if you recall but at the time of Safaei's IFF presidency, people were blaming his federation left and right! I guess we iranians are good at complaining no matter what...
Perhaps we need to stop complaining and start being pragmatic ourselves, by saying this, I am not trying to defend anyone or any group.
It is easier to be critical than being constructive and that's what we need to do if we are seeking to make changes. Every country has its ups and downs and right now, we are going through that down cycle...
Of course, politics may play a role in this as well but remember african countries or even south american ones are not doing so much better than Iran, if not worse... but you don't see the poor level of their soccer being so much blamed cuz of their politics or government.
My point is: We as a nation have a lot of work to do, our soccer players have to start acting professional just like clubs managements, staff, etc. our coaches need to be taught and apply rather than talk and talk, players need to learn the basics of soccer, positioning, style of play, speed, fitness, etc., management has to be willing to make things happen, take risks, spend wisely... we need to support our team for 90 minutes (not humiliate or embarass).
We need to change our attitude...
Ali jan,
yeah I do remember Safaei Farahani being criticized alot in his reign. I for one was very critical of him sacking Ivic and appointing Talebi few days before WC 2006 Finals kick-off. that was a very wrong decision, but again he was prob under pressure from big bosses that we didnt know about.

If we be rational, all of us are to be blamed here: from Iranian fans being very very emotional, impatience and result-oriented, to our incompetent local IPL coaches to our IPL game scheduling and coaches' yearly contracts only, and our football being managed by those who have no clue about management or football. specially in the past decade.

But we cant deny the immense destructive role that AliAbadi, Kafashian, Taj, have had in politicization of our football without having slightest capability in management, let alone our football management. and who appointed Aliabadi? well its quite clear really!!

tbh I'd do anything to bring back MehrAlizadeh and Safaie Farahani back to our football management. Our football downfall has been so steep in the past 5 yrs, that its not even funny..

mic

Ball Boy
Nov 5, 2005
Ali jan,
yeah I do remember Safaei Farahani being criticized alot in his reign. I for one was very critical of him sacking Ivic and appointing Talebi few days before WC 2006 Finals kick-off. that was a very wrong decision, but again he was prob under pressure from big bosses that we didnt know about.

If we be rational, all of us are to be blamed here: from Iranian fans being very very emotional, impatience and result-oriented, to our incompetent local IPL coaches to our IPL game scheduling and coaches' yearly contracts only, and our football being managed by those who have no clue about management or football. specially in the past decade.

But we cant deny the immense destructive role that AliAbadi, Kafashian, Taj, have had in politicization of our football without having slightest capability in management, let alone our football management. and who appointed Aliabadi? well its quite clear really!!

tbh I'd do anything to bring back MehrAlizadeh and Safaie Farahani back to our football management. Our football downfall has been so steep in the past 5 yrs, that its not even funny..
Are we sometimes forgetting what is happening in Iran ?

My goal is not to politicize football discussions. But the fact is that since 30 years, every thing is become political in Iran.
The sad thing about all this is that our beloved country has fallen between the hands of real bastards whose priority has never been Iran but their islamic believes (what they pretend) and their personnal interests (the reality) except maybe Khatamy who tried to change some things. We have anything but democracy, healthy management and competent and honnest leaders.

The result is what is happenning now : 4 years of AN while this man came to destruct every single step slowly re-made by Khatamy. I'm not defending Khatamy but we have to open our eyes. Mediocricity is better that the catastrophic. As some of you mentionned here, our country and specially our TM got banned by the whole world because of AN speachs and his stupiddest statements.

If the world is interested about our dollars, about selling us expensive shity stuff to get our money, they have no interest about helping our football. So they denied all friendly matches leaving us in our "shit" and making Israel understand that they are not Ahmadi Nejadi Iran's friend !

IFF picked Ali Daei as a trainer as they picked him since tha last WC (where the management organized already by AN fucked our beautiful team from inside).

Daei shouted a while asking for real preparation and real preparation matches but after a while, they gave him the contract of his dreams and the corrupted and selfish Daei forgot every thing about his first demands !

Our TM became his joke. He decided not to use our best players specially those playing in Europe ( read the FIFA website about Iran ), for example he decided not to use MAHDAVIKIA against Korea, but just after that, MAHDAVIKIA was called to be Iran's captain against SAOUDI's. Or another sad example that shows how stupid OR corrupted was DAEI ( not thinking in any way to Iran's interest ) was our preparation and friendly matches : IRAN did not play a single friendly match with all the fix players !! How could this happen ??

It's as if you would watch a friendly match between FRANCE and ARGENTINE (as it happened about a month ago ) and not see the 8 or 9 men in each of these 2 teams who play in other countries, which means all their best players. Same about any other team in the world. But Ali Daei considered that he was something else in this world and that "daste oon balaii" would come down and help him so he wouldn't need all our best players. Even worse : Daei made 11 changes in half time against KOWEIT ! He didnt have a clue about his own choices ! And after 1 year coaching, didnt still have 1 team with 11 players !!!!

This is just examples. Our football like all our country is sick since the roots and things wont really change until we become atleast concious of this.

Daei and Maielikohan, even if they didnt stand each other ( which is because of their "personnal interest in things" ), are the members of the same family : the family of Jomhouri Eslami and the corrupted fanatics who are governing us since 30 years. And they have not finished with us yet !