Diversity of 2018 FIFA World Cup™ squads - Young Iran

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y...of-2018-fifa-world-cuptm-squads-2921426.html#

The CIES Football Observatory and FIFA have joined forces to analyse the profiles of the players who were fielded by the 32 qualified teams on the road to Russia. The analysis highlights the diversity of the squads in terms of both age and height, as well as the importance of migration with almost two thirds of players currently playing for clubs outside of the association they represent.
While Nigeria fielded the youngest players (with an average age of 24.9 years) in the qualifiers, followed by title-holders Germany (25.7) and by U-17 and U-20 world champions England (25.9), at the opposite end of the spectrum were two newcomers Panama (29.4 years) and Iceland (29.0), as well as 2014 FIFA World Cup quarter-finalists Costa Rica (29.0).
There were also considerable differences among the teams in terms of the average height of players. At one extreme, seven associations fielded players with an average height of less than 180cm: Peru, Argentina and Uruguay (CONMEBOL), Saudi Arabia and Japan (AFC), Mexico (CONCACAF), and Spain (UEFA). At the other extreme, the average height of the players fielded by four European nations – Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and Serbia – was at least 185cm.
The study also revealed that about 9% of players were born outside of the association they represent. Only seven of the 32 teams did not field any players born abroad. The number of footballers playing for clubs outside of the association they represent also revealed the importance of migration in football. In total, 64.6% of footballers play abroad: from 0% for England and Saudi Arabia, to 100% for Croatia, Sweden and Iceland.
Read the full study, which is available in issue number 30 of the CIES Football Observatory Monthly Report. The CIES Football Observatory is a research group within the Centre International d’Étude du Sport (CIES), a Swiss-based independent study centre founded in 1995 by FIFA in partnership with the canton and town of Neuchâtel.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I didn't know so many teams including Germany had a younger team than Iran! I really thought Iran would be top 2 youngest team! Even South Korea is on par with Iran!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Iranians got so used to dinosaurs under Branko that they think CQ's squad are all teenagers :)
Well, counting out Daei, Branko's team was fairly young too. In addition to the European based players, it consisted of his Busan Asian game U23 TM. It was after Daei as a coach that TM got very old. Ghotbi used all Estil Azin antiques which continued a bit in the beginning of CQ era.

But yeah....maybe we've been used to dinosaurs as you say! :p

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Well, counting out Daei, Branko's team was fairly young too. In addition to the European based players, it consisted of his Busan Asian game U23 TM. It was after Daei as a coach that TM got very old. Ghotbi used all Estil Azin antiques which continued a bit in the beginning of CQ era.

But yeah....maybe we've been used to dinosaurs as you say! :p
What? With the likes of Mirzapour, Badavi, Kameli mofrad, and old Ali Daei upfront?
Just to name a few, there was no order, dignity and unity in that team, competition among players were at its lowest as the starters in Branko team were pretty sure of their places.

Oh I forgot to mention seyed Mohammad Alavi... Branko loved this chap and he was as useless as he'll and out of his depth in team melli.

Last edited:

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
you guys can say all you want but I liked our football under Mayeli so much... you would love watching that attacking team ... Really loved it , a great generation indeed
He played attacking football with Daie and Azizi on the bench while at their prime or near it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
What? With the likes of Mirzapour, Badavi, Kameli mofrad, and old Ali Daei upfront?
Just to name a few, there was no order, dignity and unity in that team, competition among players were at its lowest as the starters in Branko team were pretty sure of their places.

Oh I forgot to mention seyed Mohammad Alavi... Branko loved this chap and he was as useless as he'll and out of his depth in team melli.
LOL Oghab jan, before you get defensive as soon as you read the name Branko, you should read what I wrote properly. We are talking about the "age" of the players. Not their qualities.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't know so many teams including Germany had a younger team than Iran! I really thought Iran would be top 2 youngest team! Even South Korea is on par with Iran!
I thought Iran would be at least in the top five of youngest teams as well. I know Germany has a very youngn team but so do some others mentioned. At least Iran has a nice mix of young and veteran players who have experience. In the last World Cup, we had the young team but they were very raw. Now at least they have one WC under their belt. BTW The study also revealed that about 9% of players were born outside of the association they represent. I was expecting it to be higher than 9%, hell take a look at team France, they look like an African team.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
LOL Oghab jan, before you get defensive as soon as you read the name Branko, you should read what I wrote properly. We are talking about the "age" of the players. Not their qualities.
Sorry mate ... I hate that coward for ruining our world cup 2006 and the way he managed our team and killed so much enthusiasm and talents among our our players ,he was a puppet in the hands of Ali Daei gang .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I can just imagine Mayelikohan as coach against Argentina and Nigeria in the last word cup.
I could see it now if Mayle Kohan e K**keshh(what he known as in Iran) coached the team four years agoache ha man yek strategy daram alan ma doah mekonim, beshalah rahman e rahaim, duurka, durka, mohammad jihad, bla bla bla haji haji haji

Mayle Kohan was the WORST coach in Iranian football history and that is saying something and it is because he let his personal beliefs impact the team. I remember in the late 90s a few players weren't able to play because they were playing card games, GTF out of here Basiji. The only reason why he got picked as the coach is because he is a good party boy, it was party bazi. I learned that chant because I was in in Iran a few times before I was in the Navy and once was during that 98 era, when the zero was our coach.

I am actually surprised to see that there are six teams YOUNGER than Iran. I knew Germany were younger but I did not know that Iran were 7th. Also, as for Bronko and the 2006 team, that is a sore subject for me. 2006 was such a disappointment thank you Ali Daei and Bronko(On the Slava's I despise list)

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
As for Team Melli goes I think that we have a nice mix of youth and experience. We are in the Group of Death and so we are going to need that experience from four years ago. The winner of Iran and Morocco will have a small chance of qualifying to the second round. The ESPN SPI index has Spain as an 83% chance to advance and I believe Portugal is in the low 60s, I want to say 63 but do not quote me on that. That means Iran and Morocco have about an 18.5 or 19% chance, slightly under 20%. The winner of that game will get a little bump so there is a chance. I like numbers my friends. Since I am in Las Vegas, I will project the odds, it might not be a bad idea to put some money on Iran on a prop bet, like which teams will advance.
1-If you bet money on Spain to advance to the second round, it will be 4.5:1 so you need to bet $450 to get $100, bad bet.
2-Portugal-Probably closer to 2:1 so again bad bet.
3-Iran most likely 1:5, same with Morocco now that is a good bet.

Last edited: