Do we know mosavi?

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
LOOOL
Russian TV???
Come on man! Whatever Mousavi was, do not buy anything coming out of Russian TV and Russian media.

The funny thing is that they portrait Mousavi as "West's man in Iran". Talking about selling propaganda!

May 12, 2007
I didn't notic it was from RT. But in several threads people are worried about Mosavi who he is. What he wants...
So let's put it in discussion.

Oct 18, 2002
I would hardly take it seriously from a correspondent who does not know a prime minister of Iran was not only not the highest rank official in Iran (officially he would rank lower then the leader, the president, the parliament speaker, the chief of supreme court) but no say or commandment in Sepah or military hierarchy.

As soon as I heard "as the top leader of Iran at the time of Beirut bombing" I stopped listening.

This is not to say I have any illusion about Mousavi. But the claims in that report regarding Beirut bombing were ridiculous.

k-EYVON

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2003
I think it is better not to spread anything any shady source says
about someone we disagree with ....

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
I would hardly take it seriously from a correspondent who does not know a prime minister of Iran was not only not the highest rank official in Iran (officially he would rank lower then the leader, the president, the parliament speaker, the chief of supreme court) but no say or commandment in Sepah or military hierarchy.

As soon as I heard "as the top leader of Iran at the time of Beirut bombing" I stopped listening.

This is not to say I have any illusion about Mousavi. But the claims in that report regarding Beirut bombing were ridiculous.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that back then the PM ran the government and the President did not have much power, and then this was changed. Also Supreme Leader was not considered to be part of the government. So, he was in effect the highest ranking person within the so-called elected government.

Oct 18, 2002
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that back then the PM ran the government and the President did not have much power, and then this was changed. Also Supreme Leader was not considered to be part of the government. So, he was in effect the highest ranking person within the so-called elected government.
But the government in Iran is not just the elected part. The non-elected part of the government holds more important keys of the power within the government. The prime minister's role in Iran prior to 1988 was a Chief Operating Officer for just the executive branch, not the government as a whole. Furthermore, Iranian military, army, Sepah, Intelligence (which was not a ministry until 1985) and Judiciary were all outside the executive branch and the PM had absolutely no command or control there. The PM's job was to run the ministries and the huge bureaucracy of the government in the internal day-to-day affairs of the country.

Obviously Khomeini was the top decision maker regarding such affairs as military (including Sepah) and major foreign policy issues. Officially Khamenei as president was the second rank after him, emboldened his position by his special relationship with Sepah (he was Khomeini's long time representative in Sepah). Rafsanjani's position (parliament speaker) was officially the third rank in the country, however he became the main decision maker when Khomeini appointed him as the commander of all war efforts. A quick look at Rafsanjani's memoirs show that major decisions were primarily taken by him and Khamenei, occasionally in consultation with Sepah and judiciary, with very little influence from Ministers or other people from the executive branch.

Last edited: