Do you own a dog and what breed you got ?

I'm an all time dog lover and my all time favorite dog is boarder collie . I know about dogs and have taken care of some of my friends' dogs but personally I'v never had a chance to own one for myself due to my life style knowing dogs need special care and attention ...

I think now is time to get one and I will definitely get one but unfortunately boarder collie is not an option as i live in an apartment and those guys will suffer in such a place. I like to know if you guys own any and I'd like to hear everyone's pros and cons

by the way this is boarder collie ... I wish I could own one

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
My 13 yrs old Golden Retriever passed away 1 day before the election day. He was active except the last 2 months. I heard goldens are no. 3 behind Labs (which I love, too) and German Shepherd, but I think goldens are something special.

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
I have a 3 year old male German Shepherd (short hair, around 80 lbs). He is my best buddy and a bundle of love. He is my second dog. The first one was a mix chow, golden, shepherd.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
BTW, I've never owned dogs but my favorite is bulldog! The uglier and more wrinkled, the cuter! :)

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I like dogs too ,boarder collie is a lovely natured dog and very clever , my most favourite dog is Doug de Bordeau ,they are gentle giants ,very powerful but very gentle and friendly .

German shepherds are also a favourite of mine , I am also a cat lover despite their different attitude to dogs ,Cats are just beautiful and mysterious animals but you can not trust them or rely on them as much you can with dogs ,there are many type of dogs I like including the English sheep dogs .

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
My 13 yrs old Golden Retriever passed away 1 day before the election day. He was active except the last 2 months. I heard goldens are no. 3 behind Labs (which I love, too) and German Shepherd, but I think goldens are something special.
Golden retrievers and Labradors are the angles among dogs ,they are such lovely dogs .

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
For apartment life your best bet is a Shih Tzu mix.

Try not to get a pure-bred. A mutt (mix of two breeds) is generally considered healthier and less prone to many forms of cancer.

I have an 11 year old Shihpoo (mix of Shih Tzu and Poodle). She's the joy of our life. She's been through highs and lows with me over the years and I don't know what I would've done without her company. Her mere presence has pulled me out of many gut-wrenching moments. The level of understanding, love and loyalty is beyond words. No human or other animal can even come close.

She has done both the apartment life and house life. She has even done the RV life (lived in a small RV with me!). It's truly inconvenient to walk dogs when you're in an apartment. The whole getting dressed and going down the elevators gets old pretty fast, but you'll do it :)

Don't get a big dog in an apartment building. You won't like it. Your neighbors won't like it and the dog itself will not be living a healthy life.

Oct 1, 2004
If you're buying a dog be considerate.
If you live in a dense urban area with not alot of space don't buy a big large dog that needs to run around alot.

Having said that, the little dogs usually make alot of noise and can get quite annoying.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I am sorry for your loss, Golden Retrievers are my favorite breed, they are the perfect dogs. They seldom bark and as far as doggy breath goes, theirs is not that bad plus they are easily trainable because retrievers want to please you. Anyways to answer your question I never owned a dog. When I was a kid, my dad was against the idea and I hated him for it then but I get it now. There are two problems with owning a dog.
1-What are you going to do when you want to go on a vacation? Now you are going to pay extra money to put the dog in a kennel etc.
2-What do you do when the dog dies and the kids are devastated? I will say this much, next to England, America is the most dog friendly nation on earth and there is a reason for it. Americans and English just love dogs it is apart of the culture like for example, if you posted a picture of Shah and a dog, people would be outraged, "Are you calling the Shah a dog?" You see pictures of Churchill and the Bull Dog, they do not see it that way. You hear American commentators say, "He is barking at the refree," An Iranian football commentator would never say, "Look at Gucci he is barking at the refree," that is an insult in Iran. I know where that stems from correct me if I am wrong but in Islam aren't dogs considered haram and cats are considered halal/kosher? That is why in most Muslim families in that part of the world, you see them owning cats and not dogs@BT well said dude I hate those trainers and i have a story.
I have been living in a town house in LV for the last year and my neighbors with three annoying small dogs drove me crazy for a year. I even went to mediation because it got so bad and the people said, "Hey you guys have to control your dogs or move to a house." Well they did not want to discipline their dogs but they did move to another house. If you do not want to discipline your dog, don't buy one. It is not fair for me to have to stay awake at 2AM because your God Dam dog is barking. One time I got so pissed at the guy(he was kind of bigger but remember I have some martial arts training. It was 3 AM and the dogs were HOWLING all of them and I was not the only neighbor pissed, I said, "Listen as$hole, if I hear your dogs bark one more time I am going to drag you out of the house and we are going to fight in the middle of the street, I don't care if you call the god dam police. That put the fear of God in him and two months later they were gone. The reason why I came at him hard like that was because rather than apologizing he was talking $hit like a fake tough guy. I should not hear YOUR DAM DOG at night time. If I do then you will hear from me. These are the same jagoffs that have the my kid is always right mentality. Now I just have one bad dog that howls but he is getting better now that the owners are back form vacation.

BTW guys BT is right if you are going to get a dog, do not get a pure bread, get a mutt. Studies and research have shown that mutts live longer and are much healthier. Pure breads have health problems so get the mutt and the best part is, you can rescue one from the pound. Don't be a schmuck and pay $2,000 for some pure bread from a snobby rich dog owner. If I EVER get a dog, I am going to rescue one form the animal shelter. I think they know that you rescued them and they appreciate it more. Also one last thing, IF HUMANS ACTED LIKE DOGS, THE WORLD WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER PLACE!

Last edited:
Why would they suffer more than other dogs?
Well it is very obvious. Dogs like German shepherd, Golden Retrievers or Huskies and over all big or medium size dogs need space to move otherwise they will get sick so fast. Specially in a climate I live is not a convenient to go out so often . Smaller size dogs can cope with apartment life easier as many generation after generation have lived the same way them . This reminds of gold fish, as they need lots of space in the fish tank if you overcrowd them then they die.

Golden retrievers and Labradors are the angles among dogs ,they are such lovely dogs .
Golden retrievers are a blessing to the Human race. Who can not love them ? Labs are also adorable but I go with Retriever If I have a choice

For apartment life your best bet is a Shih Tzu mix.
Try not to get a pure-bred. A mutt (mix of two breeds) is generally considered healthier and less prone to many forms of cancer.

I have an 11 year old Shihpoo (mix of Shih Tzu and Poodle). She's the joy of our life. She's been through highs and lows with me over the years and I don't know what I would've done without her company. Her mere presence has pulled me out of many gut-wrenching moments. The level of understanding, love and loyalty is beyond words. No human or other animal can even come close.

She has done both the apartment life and house life. She has even done the RV life (lived in a small RV with me!). It's truly inconvenient to walk dogs when you're in an apartment. The whole getting dressed and going down the elevators gets old pretty fast, but you'll do it :)

Don't get a big dog in an apartment building. You won't like it. Your neighbors won't like it and the dog itself will not be living a healthy life.

Yep you pretty said it all , I also like the mix of Shitzu and Lhasa apso I also found a cockapoo puppy and fell in love with her in a min . lol .
If you're buying a dog be considerate.
If you live in a dense urban area with not alot of space don't buy a big large dog that needs to run around alot.
Having said that, the little dogs usually make alot of noise and can get quite annoying.

Fatso jan I live on an Island 10 minutes away from downtown. My place is next to river and bounded by trees with a 15 KM walking path spanning the whole Island.

what do you get if you mix a bull dog with a shitzu
BULLSHIT !
Lol , you always have something up your sleeve

Last edited:

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Training is extremely important and requires a lot of time and patience. One of the reasons that I didn't get a rescue was the difficulty in training an abused or neglected dog with previous mental/physical issues. If you are not an experienced dog owner with a lot of time on your hand, the task of training a rescue dog properly becomes so much harder.
I got mine from a breeder when he was 9 weeks old, but I consider him a semi-rescue since the breeder was nothing but a puppy mill producer that left the poor pups unattended and uncared for. In a moment of weakness and out of pity, I decided to buy him, purely out of compassion. That said, he is now well-trained by a professional trainer and he is the sweetest, most social, child-friendly and loving creature that I could have ever imagined him to be.
The point TM raised about losing the dog is a valid one. In my case, I cherish every moment I spend with him and once he is gone, taking comfort in knowing that I gave him a good life, to the best of my abilities, and lots of love.

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
BTW, I've never owned dogs but my favorite is bulldog! The uglier and more wrinkled, the cuter! :)

my niece just purchased a French Bulldog (7 weeks old). It is the cutest thing, but keep in mind that they have a lot of hip and stomach issues (they fart constantly and are prone to get upset stomach very easily).