Does AIPAC influence the American Foreign Policy?

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
I am reading a lot of comments about the influence of AIPAC on American Foreign policy, but is it really the case? In my opinion, if they did influence the U.S. policy to the extend that is suggested by many, we would have seen a strike on Iran many years ago. There is no doubt that they play a role when it comes to sanctions and the overblown threat of the nuclear Iran, but I have a hard time seeing that their influence goes way beyond that. Lobbyism is so wide-spread in Washington than no single organization can claim a monopoly on it. I am not sure about this subject, that is why I am posing the question to you to be more educated about the subject.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Much overrated. Yes, there may be a Jewish Lobby but what interest group doesn't have a lobby? If all the jews disappeared tomorrow( poor choice of words, I know), it would still make sense for the US to be Israel's ally. This notion that Middle East is anti-American because of Israel is hogwash.

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Much overrated. Yes, there may be a Jewish Lobby but what interest group doesn't have a lobby? If all the jews disappeared tomorrow( poor choice of words, I know), it would still make sense for the US to be Israel's ally. This notion that Middle East is anti-American because of Israel is hogwash.

Again talking about stuff with nothing but anecdotes and gut feelings...the true conservative way!

http://maplight.org/us-congress/interest/J5100/view/all

Every interest group might have its own lobby but the Jewish lobby is by far the best funded and the most powerful relative to the number of jews in the US or the world.

And how does it make sense for the US to be Israel's ally? how does the US benefit? With countries like Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, and the rest around US doesn't need any other allies in the region.

Aug 26, 2005
Come on, is this a serious question? Of course it does.

Which Presidential race (or equivalent) from another country do you see those campaigners make a noted visited to a lobbyist group to appease them publicly? That's power...that's influence.

I recall Obama saying that basically the interests of Isreal and America were bound together.

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Come on, is this a serious question? Of course it does.

Which Presidential race (or equivalent) from another country do you see those campaigners make a noted visited to a lobbyist group to appease them publicly? That's power...that's influence.

I recall Obama saying that basically the interests of Isreal and America were bound together.
Dear Kaz, of course they have influence but you obviously didn't pay attention to my question. If they are as influential as it is believed, how come that the U.S. has been opposing military confrontation with Iran, which is what AIPAC has been campaigning for during the past many years? Apparently they have not been able to convince the U.S. Government to take action despite all their lobbying power. That is what I am trying to address here.

beystr 2.0

Bench Warmer
Jul 9, 2006
C'mon Tajrish jon...u are not that naive..? AIPAC barking up about a military action is just part and parcel of any political posturing..read / any terrorist organisation...

That the Uncle Sam and its crime syndicate AIPAC are now a criminal entity ...I am sure to anyone that can stay objective and actually zoom in on what is in U.S's interest as a whole country...there can be no doubt of that.

at the end of the day...even criminals have figured out that bombing Iran ( as a hit and go) does not help anyone by IRI....but then again, who knows about all the mood variation and chemical fluctuations of any sick monster?

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
This book written by two Harvard Professors is about AIPAC and other similar organizations' influence on US foreign policy.

"The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy by John J. Mearsheimer and Stephen M. Walt"

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
What if it is true? And how will the US benefit if she abandoned Israel? Will Hezbollah like them now? There will be another demand. Now they would want the US out of the region.

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Beystr jan, I am trying to wrap my arms around the subject but I am afraid your answer fails to show AIPAC's influence in such degree as to convince the U.S. Government in crucial decisions such as this. I guess what I get from your response is that Israel and U.S. are just posturing and they don't really mean what they are saying. But you contradict yourself with another argument for why they might actually do it.
Netenyahu has been trying to convince the world that Iran is a threat to the world that needs to be dealt with, possibly and preferably through military actions, however, with all his posturing and tough talks, Iran is about the only country that he hasn't bombed yet. He needs the Americans to subscribe to this war. This is what everyone is saying. If that is his true wish, then AIPAC would be the vehicle through which to convince the U.S. policy makers to go to war with Iran. Everyone agrees that AIPAC does have a huge influence, but I don't think the U.S. Government can be considered one and the same entity as AIPAC, as you suggest in your reply. The actions speak louder than words.
I don't subscribe to your statement about AIPAC and the U.S. Government being the same entity. They might have lots of common interests, and is some cases, the U.S. defense of Israel has worked against its own national interest, but then again, that can be said about many other U.S. foreign policies in the past and in other regions of the world. I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories. I think that most, if not all countries in the world, have self-serving policies that would benefit their own interest. I just don't see how the U.S. could benefit by going to war with Iran for the sake of Israel and that is why it hasn't happened as of yet, regardless of AIPAC/Israel's constant pressure.
If you think that AIPAC, Israel and the U.S. are one and the same, and that the whole thing is nothing but a show, then why even bother with an organization such as AIPAC? There is no need to lobby if they are already one and the same. Sorry, but I don't buy that.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Let me poke another needle in the AIPAC balloon. They are clearly more sympathetic to the Republicans. Just look at how Obama has treated Israel and Netanyahu. Yet, Jewish Americans by almost 70% reliably vote Democratic. Just ask Romney who got an standing ovation there.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
I also think the Jewish so called influence in America is way too exagerated. Yes they control Hollywood, some banks, some media.......but if you follow closely you will see they were critical in supporting Obama whose agenda is more pro Arab than pro Isreal. Also, They have zero say within the so called "American Military Industrial Complex".....
Influence? yes - control no way.
Tajrish jaan you are on the correct path. This world is not controlled by Jews - if it was there would not have been 6 million dead jews in the last WW. Even in America - I bet the Irish Americans have more control today than the Jews will ever have.

Feb 22, 2005
Please explain how Obama is more pro Arab than pro Israel.

I also think the Jewish so called influence in America is way too exagerated. Yes they control Hollywood, some banks, some media.......but if you follow closely you will see they were critical in supporting Obama whose agenda is more pro Arab than pro Isreal. Also, They have zero say within the so called "American Military Industrial Complex".....
Influence? yes - control no way.
Tajrish jaan you are on the correct path. This world is not controlled by Jews - if it was there would not have been 6 million dead jews in the last WW. Even in America - I bet the Irish Americans have more control today than the Jews will ever have.

beystr 2.0

Bench Warmer
Jul 9, 2006
Beystr jan, I am trying to wrap my arms around the subject but I am afraid your answer fails to show AIPAC's influence in such degree as to convince the U.S. Government in crucial decisions such as this. I guess what I get from your response is that Israel and U.S. are just posturing and they don't really mean what they are saying. But you contradict yourself with another argument for why they might actually do it.
Netenyahu has been trying to convince the world that Iran is a threat to the world that needs to be dealt with, possibly and preferably through military actions, however, with all his posturing and tough talks, Iran is about the only country that he hasn't bombed yet. He needs the Americans to subscribe to this war. This is what everyone is saying. If that is his true wish, then AIPAC would be the vehicle through which to convince the U.S. policy makers to go to war with Iran. Everyone agrees that AIPAC does have a huge influence, but I don't think the U.S. Government can be considered one and the same entity as AIPAC, as you suggest in your reply. The actions speak louder than words.
I don't subscribe to your statement about AIPAC and the U.S. Government being the same entity. They might have lots of common interests, and is some cases, the U.S. defense of Israel has worked against its own national interest, but then again, that can be said about many other U.S. foreign policies in the past and in other regions of the world. I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories. I think that most, if not all countries in the world, have self-serving policies that would benefit their own interest. I just don't see how the U.S. could benefit by going to war with Iran for the sake of Israel and that is why it hasn't happened as of yet, regardless of AIPAC/Israel's constant pressure.
If you think that AIPAC, Israel and the U.S. are one and the same, and that the whole thing is nothing but a show, then why even bother with an organization such as AIPAC? There is no need to lobby if they are already one and the same. Sorry, but I don't buy that.
Tajrish jon...I did not say U.S. and AIPAC are one and the same...I suppose the debate is , How much influence they have on U.S.'s policy on Iran....right?

From what it looks like AIPAC's is and has been in a tug of war with the other group over how U.S.-Iran relations should develop, and wouldn't you agree that AIPAC has succeeded in monsterasizing Iran and keep any hopes of Iran-U.S. getting closer or resolving their dispute as dim as possible ?

This talk of war and strikes against Iran is of course serves the interest of Israel IMO...and I would not expect anything else from a group or entities I call the true terrorists of this region and for damn good and solid reasons..Threat of war and especially these totally illegal , immoral and unprecedented sanctions against 70 mil. people is the cruelest act of an outright and blatant terrorism. .but it does not mean that they ( U.S. or AIPAC) are just crazies ...they know as well as any one familiar with this case...that any attack short of total destruction of our country would not only further embolden IRI...but put every U.S. and Isreali facility around the world in jeapordy..so is it worthed..? I doubt it.

and that's the reason it has not happened yet..otherwise U.S has as much free will , in this regard anyway, as a nympho in rejecting a good solid dool....lol..

Last edited:

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Please explain how Obama is more pro Arab than pro Israel.
Lordi are you kidding? do you know how many rockets hit Israel on any given day these days? but forget the rockets - do you think Israel wanted Mobarak replaced with Morsi? Do you think AIPAC wants Islamists take over Syria? Israel supported IR in the war against Iraq......just because the Saudis and Arabs were supporting Iraq.....

Aug 26, 2005
Dear Kaz, of course they have influence but you obviously didn't pay attention to my question. If they are as influential as it is believed, how come that the U.S. has been opposing military confrontation with Iran, which is what AIPAC has been campaigning for during the past many years? Apparently they have not been able to convince the U.S. Government to take action despite all their lobbying power. That is what I am trying to address here.
It's one thing to say they are the puppets of Isreal (to do everything they might desire) but it is another thing to question whether they have influence. My answer is to the second point mate. Yes, they certainly have influence and if not for Israel I wonder if America would even have problems in the middle-east.

Aug 26, 2005
What if it is true? And how will the US benefit if she abandoned Israel? Will Hezbollah like them now? There will be another demand. Now they would want the US out of the region.
You act as if it is a zero-sum game for the rest of the world. America benefits by not being allies for Israel and trying to interfere in the middle-east because of it. Half the terrorist problems it faces is because of their stance with Israel against Palestine. Imagine if America wasn't in half these wars in the middle-east. Do you think it doesn't make a difference for America to have their sons and daughters not killed, or to keep all that money that they spend on those wars? Of course it does.

But America, incredibly, still formulates their policy with an eye to Israel; and it is symbolised clearly when the Presidential candidates make a show to placate the biggest Jewish lobby in America.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
You say if there were no Israel, there would be no terrorism. I say terrorism always finds a way to justify itself. Remember, the ultimate goal of terrorists is to capture the seat of power and run a state. Then they will have an army, banks, oil, shipping, airline etc. They are all looking at Iran as a model. Imagine if Ansar Al whatever had their own oil wells. Hezbollah would love to rule over all Lebanon. Al- Qaeda would love to take over Yemen or Afghanistan. What US does or doesn't is immaterial. The reason you see they are all fighting the US is because America is standing in their way, and thank God for that. I am not counting on the Danes to stop them.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
Poltical islam is based on a Islamic khalife all over the world. Even if there was no state of Israel there would be this kind of attitude.

Aug 26, 2005
You say if there were no Israel, there would be no terrorism. I say terrorism always finds a way to justify itself. Remember, the ultimate goal of terrorists is to capture the seat of power and run a state. Then they will have an army, banks, oil, shipping, airline etc. They are all looking at Iran as a model. Imagine if Ansar Al whatever had their own oil wells. Hezbollah would love to rule over all Lebanon. Al- Qaeda would love to take over Yemen or Afghanistan. What US does or doesn't is immaterial. The reason you see they are all fighting the US is because America is standing in their way, and thank God for that. I am not counting on the Danes to stop them.
No, I didn't say anything of the sort. I literally said the opposite.

America has huge problems in the middle east, in large part due to their affiliation with Israel. Does it mean the world would be perfect? No, but for Americans, it means far less dead Americans and trillions saved on war and politicking in the middle-east. It's really quite that simple.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
No, I didn't say anything of the sort. I literally said the opposite.

America has huge problems in the middle east, in large part due to their affiliation with Israel. Does it mean the world would be perfect? No, but for Americans, it means far less dead Americans and trillions saved on war and politicking in the middle-east. It's really quite that simple.
Yes, if the criterion is staying alive then your prescription works. How many Danes or Swedes have died? But guess what? When they safely arrive at their destination they can thank an American, British or Canadian (may be even Australian) soldier for it. Now, do you want America out of Israel or out of Middle East all together? You want to throw Israel to the wolves. What about Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Emirates, Egypt and all the rest. Who do you think will take their place?