English Premier League, FA CUP Fixtures , Rumours, News , Transfers , Match Updates ( 2019-20 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I can see Aston Villa suing if this happen. There will be others.
They would have little ground to stand on. League standings are legally binding at the end of each game. There is no law or rule that entitles organizations to futures.

From a stock-market perspective, this would be the equivalent of a company suing the stock-exchange for closing the market at noon instead of 4PM because they "think" their market-cap would've been higher by then.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
They would have little ground to stand on. League standings are legally binding at the end of each game. There is no law or rule that entitles organizations to futures.

From a stock-market perspective, this would be the equivalent of a company suing the stock-exchange for closing the market at noon instead of 4PM because they "think" their market-cap would've been higher by then.
But the comparison is not valid for different reasons. Vila have a game in hand on the other teams around them and they can argue that if they won this they would be in the 16th place and safe.

Also the rules of the league state that each team plays 38 games, at the end of which positions are decided. There is no provision in the rules for exceptions where the league is halted before the 38 games are played and the positions become binding. None whatsoever.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
@Bache Tehroon I am no lawyer and dont know about EPL, but I was watching an expert talk about LA LIGA, in Spain the rule of the league somewhere says, the team with most amount of points once EVERY TEAM in the league has played 38 games is crowned champion, something along those lines, so they were saying, if even "1" team does NOT play the final game, league winner can not be announced. which is why (in Spain at least) the cup is given once ALL teams played 38 games, EVEN if mathematically its impossible to catch the first team.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
@Bache Tehroon I am no lawyer and dont know about EPL, but I was watching an expert talk about LA LIGA, in Spain the rule of the league somewhere says, the team with most amount of points once EVERY TEAM in the league has played 38 games is crowned champion, something along those lines, so they were saying, if even "1" team does NOT play the final game, league winner can not be announced. which is why (in Spain at least) the cup is given once ALL teams played 38 games, EVEN if mathematically its impossible to catch the first team.
This makes perfect sense. Awarding championship before season is over is flawed in many ways.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Technically that is correct in England too, but in practice the cup has been handed out at the end of a game that a team can no longer be caught mathematically. This happens every year, unless the title fight goes to the last day.

But in this case right now no team has reached the mathematical certainty of being crowned champions.

May 4, 2003
I dont understand what is the problem. The games fir current season should resume once the damn virus is controlled and there is no more danger, now be it in one week time, one month or even one year from now. It is easier to change / or do what ever way us feasible for next season s schedule ( even maybe cancel for next season the one of the cups ) . Noway this season should be canceled.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
My freind from the UK is like, "Bro in here we call the FA cup, the consolation prize cup."
I suppose it lost some of it's prestige. I mean when Arsenal won two of them, nobody really cared.

I dont understand what is the problem. The games fir current season should resume once the damn virus is controlled and there is no more danger, now be it in one week time, one month or even one year from now. It is easier to change / or do what ever way us feasible for next season s schedule ( even maybe cancel for next season the one of the cups ) . Noway this season should be canceled.
Indeed. All other scenarios are extremely childish. A delay means exactly that, a "delay".

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
2019-2020 EPL season must finish even if it streches as far as November, followed by a shortened 2020-2021 league, each team play 19 matches only(10 home 9 away or vice versa depending on the draw) TV networks wont be happy but I cant see any other solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.