English Premier League, FA CUP Fixtures , Rumours, News , Transfers , Match Updates ( 2020-21 )

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Chelsea confirm Frank Lampard sacking with Thomas Tuchel set to replace him

Chelsea have sacked Frank Lampard, with the former Borussia Dortmund and PSG manager Thomas Tuchel set to replace the former Chelsea player at Stamford Bridge.

Lampard was appointed as manager in July 2019 and spent more than £200m last summer on players including Timo Werner and Kai Havertz. His spell, however, came to an end after a disappointing run of results left them off the pace in the fight to qualify for the Champions League.

Chelsea said in a statement: “This has been a very difficult decision, and not one that the owner and the board have taken lightly. We are grateful to Frank for what he has achieved in his time as head coach of the club. However, recent results and performances have not met the club’s expectations, leaving the club mid-table without any clear path to sustained improvement.

“There can never be a good time to part ways with a club legend such as Frank, but after lengthy deliberation and consideration it was decided a change is needed now to give the club time to improve performances and results this season.”

A 14-game unbeaten run across two months from early October prompted talk of a title challenge but Chelsea’s fortunes have dipped markedly and a 2-0 defeat at Leicester on Tuesday was fresh evidence of their inability to beat the Premier League’s most accomplished sides.

Chelsea beat Luton 3-1 in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday but it was not enough to save Lampard’s job with qualification for the Champions League a key priority. Chelsea are ninth in the league, five points behind fourth-placed Liverpool. Defeats by Arsenal on Boxing Day and Manchester City on 3 January led to serious doubts over Lampard’s future and the owner, Roman Abramovich, has now decided to act.

The Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, said: “This was a very difficult decision for the club, not least because I have an excellent personal relationship with Frank and I have the utmost respect for him. He is a man of great integrity and has the highest of work ethics. However, under current circumstances we believe it is best to change managers.

“On behalf of everyone at the club, the board and personally, I would like to thank Frank for his work as head coach and wish him every success in the future. He is an important icon of this great club and his status here remains undiminished. He will always be warmly welcomed back at Stamford Bridge.”

Tuchel, meanwhile, was sacked by PSG on 24 December after two-and-a-half seasons in charge, winning the league twice and taking the team to the 2020 Champions League final, where they lost 1-0 to Bayern Munich. Before that he managed Borussia Dortmund for two seasons, winning the Germany Cup in 2017, three days before being sacked after falling out with the board.

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Chelsea are a perpetual joke, the gift that keeps on giving :D
Im not a fan but I think they are actually managed very well. One of the best development academies, owner that cares, their senior team is fully of talent (perhaps Tuchel can address that). Their future looks bright.
If I'm not mistaken since last 15 yrs, given the money spent they are the most accomplished side in England (compared to other big 6 clubs).

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
The whole performance was a joke. Passes going backwards and sideways. No intensity or penetration. The second goal in particular was embarrassing. And I have no idea how Martial keeps his place. It was as though they thought they just have to turn up and win.

City are favourites for the title because of how they play.

Feb 4, 2005
The whole performance was a joke. Passes going backwards and sideways. No intensity or penetration. The second goal in particular was embarrassing. And I have no idea how Martial keeps his place. It was as though they thought they just have to turn up and win.

City are favourites for the title because of how they play.
True. It was a total joke.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I personally never liked Mourinho, he causes WAY TOO MUCH BS around the team, and frankly I am not sure if he just got lucky in 2010 with Inter or what.
He needs the most amazing defense to win .... and yes he was lucky in Barcelona game but overall that team was amazing.
He did it with Chelsea and Porto as well but in the last 10 years, every team he coached sucked :D