EPL week 34 Highlights & (R)

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
it's getting hot!!!:football::football::football:

week 34 matches will be played this weekend & Monday.
here are the current Standings of top 5 teams,the remaining matches for the 3 title contenders,and the full schedule of matches for this Saturday,Sunday & Monday.

Standing:

Man Utd 77
Chelsea 74
Arsenal 71
Liverpool 63
Everton 60

Remaining matches:

Manchester United:

Apr 13 Arsenal (H)
Apr 19 Blackburn Rovers (A)
Apr 26 Chelsea (A)
May 03 West Ham United (H)
May 11 Wigan Athletic (A)

Chelsea:

Apr 14 Wigan Athletic (H)
Apr 17 Everton (A)
Apr 26 Manchester United (H)
May 03 Newcastle United (A)
May 11 Bolton Wanderers (H)

Arsenal:

Apr 13 Manchester United (A)
Apr 19 Reading (H)
Apr 28 Derby County (A)
May 03 Everton (H)
May 11 Sunderland (A)

Schedule:

Saturday 12 Apr

Birmingham City vs Everton
15:00

Bolton Wanderers vs West Ham United

Derby County vs Aston Villa

Reading vs Fulham

Sunderland vs Manchester City

Tottenham Hotspur vs Middlesbrough

Portsmouth vs Newcastle United
17: 15

Sunday 13 Apr

Liverpool vs Blackburn Rovers
13: 30

Manchester United vs Arsenal
16: 00

Monday 14 Apr

Chelsea vs Wigan Athletic
20: 00

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I think it will be a draw or an Arsenal win!
lool, u dont watch Arsenal games do u?! atleast not recently I think!!

Im so hopeless and still disgusted from last week's game, that Im considering to not watch the game.. A clear win for ManU.

*btw, if this game is tied, it'll be the best result for Chelsea. Dont think either of ManU-Arsenal want that..

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
lool, u dont watch Arsenal games do u?! atleast not recently I think!!

Im so hopeless and still disgusted from last week's game, that Im considering to not watch the game.. A clear win for ManU.

*btw, if this game is tied, it'll be the best result for Chelsea. Dont think either of ManU-Arsenal want that..
I have watched Arsenal's last few games that were played on TV. I don't think they played badly in any of them. They created chances and had played their usual passing and attractive football. And according to your own manager today, it wasn't Arsenal's bad performances but a series of bad decisions by the referees that they are in this position!
Anyhow, this is a big game and on these occasions form goes out the window.
Plus, this is Arsenal's last throw of the dice, draw or lose here and that's that. Win here and they regain competition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7343107.stm

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I have watched Arsenal's last few games that were played on TV. I don't think they played badly in any of them. They created chances and had played their usual passing and attractive football. And according to your own manager today, it wasn't Arsenal's bad performances but a series of bad decisions by the referees that they are in this position!
Anyhow, this is a big game and on these occasions form goes out the window.
Plus, this is Arsenal's last throw of the dice, draw or lose here and that's that. Win here and they regain competition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7343107.stm
yeah I know its a win or bust scenario for Arsenal, and Wenger knows it too. but having high motivation is one thing, having the resources is another. we can get scored on set pieces so easily..specially on corners. thats one of the ways we'll be scored on Sunday. :(
Then there is our sloppy defense and not having Sagna and Flamini who were our best marksmen and shot stoppers in our team. no1 else is at their level in our team.
Then goes with us not having any left/right winger really bc of injuries. and then goes ManU's solid defense. we simply dont have the resources to win this match at OT.
no matter how much hunger/hope our players have. :(

Last edited:

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
So all of a sudden Gilberto is no longer good enough!!!?

I think this is an open affair. We'll see soon enough I guess.
no he is not good enough. not to compared to Flamini atleast. and thats the main reason, former captain and starter, became a benchwarmer this season. he doesnt have Flamini's mobility, doesnt mark opponents well and he mostly helps at defense. he doesnt help with creating attacking chances as Flamini perfectly did with Fabregas-Hleb,etc..

yeah we'll 30. If ManU wins, u buy me a frogleg dish + drink. if Arsenal wins, again buy me the dish + drink, to treat EPL's new Champion team fans!!;)

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
no he is not good enough. not to compared to Flamini atleast. and thats the main reason, former captain and starter, became a benchwarmer this season. he doesnt have Flamini's mobility, doesnt mark opponents well and he mostly helps at defense. he doesnt help with creating attacking chances as Flamini perfectly did with Fabregas-Hleb,etc..

yeah we'll 30. If ManU wins, u buy me a frogleg dish + drink. if Arsenal wins, again buy me the dish + drink, to treat EPL's new Champion team fans!!;)
Oh, so I buy no matter what!?
I'll get you a pint of bitter :)

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
pretty interesting interview with Ferguson. where is Ali to relate our losses to Arsenal-ManU game in FA Cup again?!!loool

Telegraph-
Alex Ferguson sympathetic to injured Arsenal

Maybe it is because Arsenal no longer appear a real threat to his title ambitions or maybe it is because the early enmity has dissolved into a mutual respect, but Sir Alex Ferguson had only sympathy for Arsene Wenger's plight.

The Manchester United manager had sat in the directors' box at Anfield to watch Arsenal's best hopes of silverware implode in an epic Champions League quarter-final second leg, which, as a match, Ferguson thought "had everything".

He left when Theo Walcott's extraordinary run was converted by Emmanuel Adebayor, thinking Arsenal were through, and was on the stairs to the reception when Liverpool were awarded the decisive penalty. It would, he said yesterday, "be a difficult defeat to recover from".

There is a theory that Arsenal's decline began at Old Trafford in February, when they were shot to pieces by Manchester United in an FA Cup tie in which they gave the impression they would rather not have played. Their complaints about Nani's showboating sounded as empty as Roma's barbed comments about Cristiano Ronaldo's display of skill in the Olympic Stadium.

Afterwards, Wenger said he thought the damage could be contained. In this the Arsenal manager was wrong. Eleven subsequent games have seen only two wins, while in the Premier League Arsenal have taken eight points from a possible 21.
It is a theory to which Ferguson does not subscribe. "I am not really sure about that one," he said. "Arsenal have had some injuries this season that has made it very difficult for them to rest players. They lost [Abou] Diaby for a while, they lost Denilson, they have lost [Tomas] Rosicky and they lost [Robin] Van Persie.

"I am telling you, you cannot win games consistently without your best team, not at the level we are at. If you go back to the time Arsene Wenger won the league against us for the first time in 1998, we played them in a crucial game at Old Trafford. You could not guess my team; you write down on a bit of paper what my team was that day. You could never pick it. We had six or seven players injured and you cannot win games without your best players."
For the record, the United team who succumbed to a Marc Overmars goal was: Schmeichel, Gary Neville, Johnsen, Curtis, Irwin, Beckham, Scholes, Berg, Phil Neville, Sheringham and Cole.

Ferguson also rejected suggestions that Wenger should have bought in the January transfer window and that a third season without silverware would indicate failure at the Emirates. "Of course it is unfair," he said. "It is not easy to buy players in January as I have said time and again. It just underlines how hard it is to win the Premier League."

The only time Ferguson had a dig at his old enemy was when asked if Arsenal received more favourable treatment in the media - if Manchester United went a single season without a trophy, let alone three, the crisis inquests would long ago have begun. "Yes I do," Ferguson replied, adding with a smile. "But that's just the old chip on my shoulder coming out."

Ferguson also pointed out that the depth of his squad meant he was able to make changes for the second leg against Roma in a way Arsenal could not against Liverpool and he was unable to do last season when a United side with chronic defensive injuries were overwhelmed by AC Milan in their semi-final.

However, with Patrice Evra, Nemanja Vidic, Gary Neville and Rio Ferdinand all likely to be fit to face Barcelona, Ferguson will not be going naked into the Nou Camp. MAYBE it is because Arsenal no longer appear a real threat to his title ambitions or maybe it is because the early enmity has dissolved into a mutual respect, but Sir Alex Ferguson had only sympathy for Arsene Wenger's plight.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Oh, so I buy no matter what!?
I'll get you a pint of bitter :)
Behrooz,you cheap bloke!!!
Niloufar deserves the best and most expensive French Whine.:football:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ted/s/1044950_fergie_eyes_arch_rivals_arsenal

Sir Alex Ferguson

Fergie eyes arch rivals Arsenal

James Robson
11/ 4/2008

SIR Alex Ferguson has told his players they can move within touching distance of the title with victory against Arsenal - and at the same time couldn't resist taking a verbal swipe at Arsene Wenger's faltering side.

Ahead of the Old Trafford showdown, Fergie insisted he was more worried about last week's clash with Middlesbrough than the visit of the Gunners on Sunday.

United saw their lead at the top of the table cut to just three points following their 2-2 draw at the Riverside.

And Ferguson is convinced neither Arsenal or Chelsea - who his side meet on April 26 - will provide a sterner test than Gareth Southgate's men.

"I always viewed the Middlesbrough match as our most difficult game," he said. "I wasn't surprised by their performance.

"They could have beaten us, but we managed to rescue a point from it."

Ferguson believes the games against Arsenal and Chelsea will determine the destination of the title.

He knows that victory on Sunday will virtually kill off Wenger's fading hopes of finishing top of the pile, while also maintaining United's slender advantage over Chelsea ahead of their Stamford Bridge clash.

"It is better if you go into the games in decent form and I think our form is decent," he said. "The games against Arsenal and Chelsea are the two big ones. They are fantastic games which all the players look forward to.

"Arsenal have been our main competitors for over 15 years and it is not going to change on Sunday.

"It will be a hard fought match and hopefully we can take the spoils."

United's hopes of success domestically and in Europe have been boosted by the return of Gary Neville and Mikael Silvestre, who both featured against Roma after overcoming long-term injuries.

Silvestre has been out since suffering cruciate knee- ligament damage in September, while Neville came off the bench for his first action in 13 months following ankle and calf problems.

"They give us a little bit of experience at a very important time," said Ferguson.

"Gary has been through a hard time of it with small injuries persistently derailing him.

"But in the last six weeks to two months he has been through a programme that ensured he would train in all the sessions and play in reserve games. Now, hopefully, we can get him in the team soon."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
I like this kid Zarate, very talented. WTF was he thinking when joined Qatari club at such young age?
yup.he was also really good with Argentina Under-20 in last year's Under-20 World Cup.
his Argentine club ( Velez Sarsfield) got a good offer ($20M) from Al Saad,and off he went.he is now on loan to Birmingham for this season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauro_Zarate#Playing_career

btw,with Bolton's win, Wigan is only 5 points clear of relegation.that should give Wigan a bit of incentive in their Monday match against Chelsea.:)