#FIBA Asia U18, 2016

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Young Iranian fellas managed to take down China in a flashy thriller, they reach semi v Korea next game.
That fella #11 has a sweet & bright future, player to watch!

Amazing to see the chinese youngster are 3,9" higher in average!

[video=youtube;k1MjfVWRlo8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1MjfVWRlo8[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Man, I wish they had a better video for the game. The quality was not that great and every one minute, the thing would go black and you had to click on it to get the coverage. With all of that being said ya #11 has some nice handles and that was a good shot. Iran hung in there for the win, that was a crazy game, good job Iran. We just missed out with the senior team. Iran was up against Mexico but then we played "anti basketball" play not to lose. That was a nice win against China.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Dang, looks like I missed that chummy 6'8", #18...he is good and I mean he is real good both at taking care of rebounds in defence and slam dunks away from home!.
Anyway the kids by turning the Korean down are qualified for the WC and having the spot for winning the 2016 Asian U18 final vs Japan!
Sweet work.

Korea vs Iran
19 Q1 21
11 Q2 24
20 Q3 21
15 Q4 21

[video=youtube;Rc2lS-2r8Ac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2lS-2r8Ac[/video]

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Dameshoon garm but for someone who's played basketball almost all his life, I have to say, generally they lack both basic skills and basic tactics. The East Asians do too but they're better than the Iranians in that department. I wonder what the result would be if they played in their home or even in a neutral ground.

The shots of that number 14 guy, are really antiques. :D

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Dameshoon garm but for someone who's played basketball almost all his life, I have to say, generally they lack both basic skills and basic tactics. The East Asians do too but they're better than the Iranians in that department. I wonder what the result would be if they played in their home or even in a neutral ground.

The shots of that number 14 guy, are really antiques. :D
Baba jan, I grew up in the USA so I played basketball all of my life as well, you are right but that comes with time and better relations with US, better coaching. The Europeans play a similar style as Iran, a bunch of ball movement and hit the open man, ring around the world basketball. Then, if there is an opening, hit your big your 3,4 or 5 for an easy dunk. Dribbling and bal handling skills takes time and patience, in the USA, there is a court everywhere. Even poor kids can ball it up, all you need is a ball and some sneakers.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Seems some of my sweet mein freunde here can't catch the ball at all, ey!
This is the deal ma niggas, these young guns won their instant noodle cooking show vs the U18 Chinese (the same chinese U18 teams have won the asian final 3 consecutive finals 2010, 2012 and 2014 without losing a single game for almost 6 years), although the home advantage playground for young guns.
These boys won over chinese despite the chinese have manufactured that tall homie #18, whose boasting the height of 6'9" and the arm span of 7'15". He is the first mixed blood chinese player at national level, his supporters adorably call him "Foreign aid".

Final - 2016 FIBA Asia U18

[video=youtube;-YH5LWS1Rq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YH5LWS1Rq0[/video]

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Baba jan, I grew up in the USA so I played basketball all of my life as well, you are right but that comes with time and better relations with US, better coaching. The Europeans play a similar style as Iran, a bunch of ball movement and hit the open man, ring around the world basketball. Then, if there is an opening, hit your big your 3,4 or 5 for an easy dunk. Dribbling and bal handling skills takes time and patience, in the USA, there is a court everywhere. Even poor kids can ball it up, all you need is a ball and some sneakers.
Some of them don't even know how to shoot the ball with the right style. That has less to do with European or American styles and more to do with the fact that they don't get trained properly and by the right professionals!

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Some of them don't even know how to shoot the ball with the right style. That has less to do with European or American styles and more to do with the fact that they don't get trained properly and by the right professionals!
True and the main difference between European and American style is the famous Euro Step. One player who is a master of the Euro Step is James Harden. It is an awkward movement, which is designed to confuse your defender. You start moving to one side to get him to commit, then you do a quick step and shit your body to the other. If mastered, it is very difficult to defend. What sticks out with James Harden is nobody does it better than him and he is an American. Also, clearly American basketball is MUCH more physical, think basketbrawl. When I took basketball, had to give it up in high school because it conflicted with football, our coaches would tell us, "snap the wrist," over and over again. That puts more spin on the ball and you can get the right bounce on the rim. We know all of this ut they do not know any of this.
When I was in Shomal, there was one basketball court, by the Caspian Sea and at least I as able to play some ball there. I am sure they have them in Tehran but there were none near my dads friend flat, in Northern Tehran. That is the thing in USA, you could be in the dam hood but there will e a basketball court there. All you need is shoes and a ball. Too bad in Iran, the kids do not have the same resources we do in the USA or even Europe. Dameshoon garm though they have tons of gerayat, just not basketball skills(ball handling, dribbling, penetration/slashing, boxing out) etc.

Last edited: