First western concert in Iran after the revolution?

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
That is very cool and I am aware of Schiller, that is very cool that they had a concert in Tehran, I am not surprised it was sold out. They were named after German dramatist Friedrich Schiller and became popular in 98, when I was a Jr in high school. I like more industrial, which is why I went to a Ramstein concert but I would go to a Schiller concert. They can also be classified as, Ambient music, New-age or Trance music.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Not surprised it was sold out in a music famine country ...but with no guitar involved this is no band for me ....

:12:
Ya I feel the same way but you got to admit, Schiller created a nice little unique niche for themselves. Not too many bands do not have a guitarist or a guitar and a base player. It doesn't surprise me because of what you said the country is MUSIC STARVED. Also, I don't know why Iranians have an obsession with anything German. I mean I undrstand the language well because my family speaks it but when I went to Iran, I was SHOCKED to hear Iranians speaking in German fluently, better than me. You would think you were talking to Arsen Wenger. Anyways, I am happy for them because in a country where there is not much to smile about, hopefully this will bring some smiles. I am also not surprised that a German band was the one to come because overall Germany and Iran have good relations and Germans are kind of mavericks or on the dare devil side.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Ya I feel the same way but you got to admit, Schiller created a nice little unique niche for themselves. Not too many bands do not have a guitarist or a guitar and a base player. It doesn't surprise me because of what you said the country is MUSIC STARVED. Also, I don't know why Iranians have an obsession with anything German. I mean I undrstand the language well because my family speaks it but when I went to Iran, I was SHOCKED to hear Iranians speaking in German fluently, better than me. You would think you were talking to Arsen Wenger. Anyways, I am happy for them because in a country where there is not much to smile about, hopefully this will bring some smiles. I am also not surprised that a German band was the one to come because overall Germany and Iran have good relations and Germans are kind of mavericks or on the dare devil side.
yeah ...Iranians love German quality and precision and styling and that includes me ,they are the best for me .

I like everything from their cars ,beers ,sausages ...culture and football ...not so keen on their music and language , I have never heard of this band before and not seeing a guitarist in their just put me off watching ,but as I said it is a novelty for poor Iranian music lovers inside Iran to go and watch them and have a bit of fun.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
yeah ...Iranians love German quality and precision and styling and that includes me ,they are the best for me .

I like everything from their cars ,beers ,sausages ...culture and football ...and language , I have never heard of this band before and not seeing a guitarist in their just put me off watching ,but as I said it is a novelty for poor Iranian music lovers inside Iran to go and watch them and have a bit of fun.

[video=youtube;La4Dcd1aUcE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4Dcd1aUcE[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV

I like everything from their cars ,beers ,sausages ...culture and football ...not so keen on their music and language , I have never heard of this band before and not seeing a guitarist in their just put me off watching ,but as I said it is a novelty for poor Iranian music lovers inside Iran to go and watch them and have a bit of fun.
I grew up with Bavarian culture and I too appreciate German quality, precision, reliability, which like you said includes: cars, beer, food, culture, football(MIA SAN MIA) etc. I grew up with the language, same with Russian so I have a good understanding. BTW Russian is much more of a musical language, like Italian. German, like Japanese is more of a militaristic language . , I am not too keen on modern German music but Bavarian folk is a different story. Same goes with Persian and Russian, not too keen on the modern stuff but sonati Persian and especially Slavic folk, absolutely gorgeous. When it comes to German, even my German buddies I go to watch Bayern Munchen games will speak to me in German and I can answer them. If you ask me to have a full on conversation, then I might bump into problems but I understand the language. Russian is much easier because I have family that I can practice on. German, everyone is back in Europe either Germany or Switzerland. Also, I find that there are tons of similarities between the two cultures Bavarian and Slava, very interesting stuff man. When I was in Iran, the last time in 06 after the world cup, I was blown away at how so many Iranians can speak German fluently I would say next to English, German is a very common language. I also know the song you are referring to, they played it here in the USA as well.

Here are the best German songs of 2016, some are meh others are good. I am just not much of a German, Russian or Persian pop guy.
[video=youtube;DT2PG9EEh_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT2PG9EEh_g[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
They are so in love with anything "western" that even if a local Kansas City church band shows up, it will fill the Azadi stadium.
I have a theory why this is the case, human psychology. If the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran says anything "western" is bad, then people will want anything western. You always want what you can't have, if it is taboo that even makes it better. BTW good one with the local Kansas City church band, I bet they would sell out because they are from the west.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
They are so in love with anything "western" that even if a local Kansas City church band shows up, it will fill the Azadi stadium.
Tajrish joon, it's not about love. It's about "kambood"! I bet half of those spectators didn't even know about this band since before. They just showed up to see what it means to see a "western concert" or rather what they would miss if they didn't go!

Feb 4, 2005

Me too except for sausage but whatever makes you happy! J.k. Add to that list bands like Eloy and Scorpions

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Me too except for sausage but whatever makes you happy! J.k. Add to that list bands like Eloy and Scorpions
Don't forget about Ramstein, just saying one of the best concerts I went to at the T Mobile Arena. Oh and the key to making good sausage is having a good quality meat grinder,. You can pick up a decent one for around a couple of hundred bucks, just ask the Bavarian.:) , Ohne Dich(without you) from the movie Stalingrad, very meaningful lyrics and powerful scene. I can see both Tajrish andSly's Payandeh Iran's point, you are both right. I happen to lean more to they are starved for anything western, and they did not even know the name of the band, anything west is popular and good in Iran.
[video=youtube;fPm8_6onqo0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPm8_6onqo0[/video]

Last edited:

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Tajrish joon, it's not about love. It's about "kambood"! I bet half of those spectators didn't even know about this band since before. They just showed up to see what it means to see a "western concert" or rather what they would miss if they didn't go!
I totally agree with you on that account. I don't blame them either. This is what you get when you completely isolate your population from outside world.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Probably the most influential German band of all times, Kraftwerk, widely considered as the inventors of techno and hip hop.
I loved Kraftwerk. Also Eloy was great too. I remember getting stoned with my mates and going on top of koohe ateeshgaah with a boombox blasting this album. It was the only place that the basijis and gasht Sar allah or jond allah (now gasht ershad) wouldn't be bugging people.

[video=youtube;KI8b6GQ5C80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8b6GQ5C80[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Funny thing is in the old days in Iran we used to have our own locally produced German sausage and Italian mortadella and smoked ham that was better than the original !
Wow I did not know that, and I was told the Shams and Argo beer rivaled the German beer. When it comes to German music though, they are good at one thing metal and the most famious band is Ramstein but there are others. Here is Du Hast. Good stuff with the German Music guys, keep it coming.

@Zob Ahan, I remember getting stoned with my mates and going on top of koohe ateeshgaah with a boombox blasting this album. Where is Kooeh ateshgaah and also that cracked me up. Now Ramstein was cool and it's in my top 10 but Kreator is the German equivalent of Slayer. Here are their best songs, now this is more death metal, Ramstein is industrial.

[video=youtube;djh5Kbic7Tw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djh5Kbic7Tw[/video]

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Wow I did not know that, and I was told the Shams and Argo beer rivaled the German beer. When it comes to German music though, they are good at one thing metal and the most famious band is Ramstein but there are others. Here is Du Hast. Good stuff with the German Music guys, keep it coming.

@Zob Ahan, I remember getting stoned with my mates and going on top of koohe ateeshgaah with a boombox blasting this album. Where is Kooeh ateshgaah and also that cracked me up. Now Ramstein was cool and it's in my top 10 but Kreator is the German equivalent of Slayer. Here are their best songs, now this is more death metal, Ramstein is industrial.

[video=youtube;djh5Kbic7Tw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djh5Kbic7Tw[/video]
Yeah man, our locally produced was probably the best in the world, lot to do with the organic wild bore meat that was used.
Iranian beer and Cola were also the best because of spring water used in making them.