For the 1st time in Iran history a peaceful transfer of power.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Surely in Iran's history there've been many opposing political/social groups whos differences were more pronounced than that of the Reformists and Conservatives in today's Iran. Nevertheless, the views of Reformers is significantly different from those of the Conservatives and Khatami's handing of power to Ahmadinejad today marks the first of such peaceful transition of power between two significantly opposing political/economic views.

One may argue that Khamenei is still in power and there has been no real transfer of power. But that is like trying to down play the peaceful transfer of power in US or UK by saying that the US Constitution is still in place or the Queen technically still has the last say. Be that as it may, it still does not negate the fact one political group with significantly contrasting vision and beliefs peacefully handed over its powers (even if limited) within the frame work of existing laws and constitutions.

IMO, this is huge. No "beh toop bastan e majlis", no political assasination, no bloody revolution, coup and then counter coup, or foreign intervention took place and for the first time one political group accepted its limitations and loss within the current constitution and peacefully handed the power the other side. lets hope the trend will continue.

Sultan

Bench Warmer
Apr 7, 2004
Ashtar,

Within Iran's political system, yes your statements are right. However, the system is far from perfect.

I would agree with you if at least there was no guardians council disqualifying candidates. Over the years there has been a process through which the conservatives have taken over every government institution by disqualifying people. This is not a peaceful transfer of power, this is a peaceful coup.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Actually it's not the first time. Transfer of power from Reza to Mammad-reza was also peaceful. This one actually looks a lot like that too!

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Sultan said:
Ashtar,

Within Iran's political system, yes your statements are right. However, the system is far from perfect.

I would agree with you if at least there was no guardians council disqualifying candidates. Over the years there has been a process through which the conservatives have taken over every government institution by disqualifying people. This is not a peaceful transfer of power, this is a peaceful coup.
defenition of coup/coup d'etat: "a sudden decisive exercise of force in politics; especially : the violent overthrow or alteration of an existing government by a small group."

don't mean to be "molla loghati" but this transition of power was neither sudden nor violent thus can not really call it a coup.

as for conservatives slowly taking hold of every institution is also partly the reformists fault and their miscalculation of advocating boycott of elections (at least as far as Majlis was concerned) instead of encouraging people to at least choose lesser of evils and elect those closer to their views.

But I agree the system is still far from perfect but the key point is that it is moving towards it.

Sultan

Bench Warmer
Apr 7, 2004
Ashtar,

Your definition was for coup d'etat, I said peaceful coup.
Definition of peaceful coup is stop the agenda of the other side by blocking everything, disqualify those who may win, demoralize them over time and win each election giving the impression of a fair transition but really it was unfair.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Bache Tehroon(ISP) said:
Please use the appropriate thread to post your daily jokes. There's a thread called "JOKE OF THE DAY".

thanks

"JOKE OF THE DAY"? that is a good thread, I see your name pop up under it every day. Why don't you exercise your administrative powers and transfer the thread to another place, like you've been doing for a while now.
you're welcome.

Jan 29, 2004
Its' not the first time. In fact since the Islamic Revolution all transfer of powers have been peaceful. Even when Rajai got assasinated.
As former President Khatami noted in his farewell speech, Iran is indeed the most stable, safe and confident country in the most troubled part of the world. The national self-confidence grows everytime a peaceful transfer of power is achieved.

Nov 11, 2003
Good to see there are lot af AN sehnas and An peyro here. I guess when you lived in a sewer for so long you get used to the smell and you actually think it smells good.

mowj

National Team Player
May 14, 2005
Honostly, this is the most hilarious statement (like there is something in Iran called free and fair election for transfer of power, it is more like passing power from hand to hand) I have heard in a long time and surprisingly Khatami was the first to announce it.
What a joke.
Do they realy perceive people as idiots or repeating outrageous claims enough times make them to believe in them too.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
What I find funny is the fact that this guy knows majority of the people over here don't take his post seriously but yet he never gives up. I suppose that's a good thing really!

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
JazzedUp said:
What I find funny is the fact that this guy knows majority of the people over here don't take his post seriously but yet he never gives up. I suppose that's a good thing really!
what i find funny is that you know this so called fact and yet still find the urge to remind others about it especially when you can't come up with any factual evidence to oppose a certain argument. ;)