GC Approves 6 Candidates for Presidency (Moin not Included)

Mar 2, 2003
I know many will rightly be disappointed that Moin's candidacy was not approved by the Guardians Council. Nonetheless, I did find a silver lining in the statement by the GC, where they specifically noted that rejection of some candidates for the presidency does not in any way preclude them from serving in other capacities.

Anyway, the following is the list of approved candidates in no particular order:

1. Qalibaf
2. Rafsanjani
3. Karrubi
4. Larijani
5. Rezaie
6. Ahmadinejad

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Simply Ken said:
Nonetheless, I did find a silver lining in the statement by the GC, where they specifically noted that rejection of some candidates for the presidency does not in any way preclude them from serving in other capacities.

LOL..

veghahat ta cheghadr?

The GC is indeed one foolish entity. Now even those naive people who still believe in reforms won't take part in the elections, which means bellow 50% turnout.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Simply Ken said:
Nonetheless, I did find a silver lining in the statement by the GC, where they specifically noted that rejection of some candidates for the presidency does not in any way preclude them from serving in other capacities.
1. Qalibaf
2. Rafsanjani
3. Karrubi
4. Larijani
5. Rezaie
6. Ahmadinejad
First of all, This whol election is a circus.
as far as "SLIVER Lining" you must be kidding :) :)
From the 6 above, just Karobi is from the SO CALLED " ESLAHTALAB" :)

So they can serve in other capacities ??!!!! Big deal, what can they do?? all the power will be in the hand of Right wing.

One more time GC and IR proved to all of us that there is no democracy in Iran and with this constitution , there is not even a slight chance of change from inside.

mowj

National Team Player
May 14, 2005
Although I expected Dr Moin to be disqualified due to his popularity that would have eliminated any chance of the right candidates but I am awed at the stupidity of GC in rejecting him at this time and age of IRI isolation. With take over of right, their militarists mentality, alienation of people, and international pressure, the national security and geographical integrity of Iran is in grave danger in near future. IMHO, the rising ethnic unrests that calmed down with Khatami somewhat will surely rise again to the point of explosion probably along with large cities.

Indeed, if Dr Moin with 26 years of service in IRI, with three terms as MP and 3-4 terms as Minister is not qualified for presidency, then who is? In Guardian Council's eyes murderers and thiefs like AhmadiNejad, Rafsanjani, Rezaie, or Qalibaf with a long record of criminal activities even with IRI's constitution standard.
I think this was the last nail in the coffin of reform movement within power structure of IRI.
Any little legitimacy of IRI that was left due to Khatami's tenure is gone today. Besides, the disqualification is illegal according to IRI constitution and political but there is no will in the country to stand up to violations of constitution.
It is time to accelerate the united opposition front that long ago called for boycott of sham selections in IRI in two different calls, as well as call to a referendum to be accelerated and logistics provided as the only way seems to be another non-violence rose revolution.
Moin was the absolute minimum condition for many to vote, with his illegal disqulification it is time to boycott the sham elections/selections of IRI.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
mowj said:
It is time to accelerate the united opposition front that long ago called for boycott of sham selections in IRI in two different calls, as well as call to a referendum to be accelerated and logistics provided as the only way seems to be another non-violence rose revolution.
100 % agree. It is time for the opposition groups to unit and work toward the same goal. enough name callings and labeling each other.

Old-Faraz

Bench Warmer
Mar 19, 2004
mowj said:
Although I expected Dr Moin to be disqualified due to his popularity that would have eliminated any chance of the right candidates but I am awed at the stupidity of GC in rejecting him at this time and age of IRI isolation. With take over of right, their militarists mentality, alienation of people, and international pressure, the national security and geographical integrity of Iran is in grave danger in near future. IMHO, the rising ethnic unrests that calmed down with Khatami somewhat will surely rise again to the point of explosion probably along with large cities.

Indeed, if Dr Moin with 26 years of service in IRI, with three terms as MP and 3-4 terms as Minister is not qualified for presidency, then who is? In Guardian Council's eyes murderers and thiefs like AhmadiNejad, Rafsanjani, Rezaie, or Qalibaf with a long record of criminal activities even with IRI's constitution standard.
I think this was the last nail in the coffin of reform movement within power structure of IRI.
Any little legitimacy of IRI that was left due to Khatami's tenure is gone today. Besides, the disqualification is illegal according to IRI constitution and political but there is no will in the country to stand up to violations of constitution.
Moin was the absolute minimum condition for many to vote, with his illegal disqulification it is time to boycott the sham elections/selections of IRI.
I agree that this is one of the most stupid decisions that GC has made, for their own sake. They are making the same mistakes that Shah made when he was drunk with power. By eliminating even the smallest forms of opposition, they are effectively digging their own graves.

The unfortunate thing is that in the process of abrupt change that is now almost inevitable, ordinary people will be the ones who will suffer first and the most.

I am disappointed and extremely saddened. Now the foreign opportunists and LA-based Zaloos will be strengthened.

Mar 2, 2003
I am hugely disappointed that Dr. Moin was disqualified. However, I do not believe the consequences will be what many here seem to think. I still expect a decent turnout, with the reformist votes being split between Karrubi and Rafsanjani.

While in a country where the president has more power to achieve his objectives, a person like Moin could have been the best choice among those running for president, I don't believe he would have accomplished much even if he was elected. I do not believe Dr. Moin had the following to be able to stand up to conservatives, while he did not enjoy the trust of the regime to implement even incremental reforms without being blocked along the way.

Those of you who truly want to learn about the process of "democratization" in non-democratic countries, should read Professor Dahl's seminal account on the subject entitled: Polyarchy: Political Participation and Opposition. Basically, you will then see why it is even more important to see the process of "competitiveness" strengthened (even if among a narrow group) then to have a weak competitive system but greater "inclusion".

In other words, the fundamentals of democratic government are better established if you have rules that allow differences of opinion to be settled peacefully, through legal procedures, than to have a person like Moin in office who is not able to accomplish his goals but instead might prompt severe reactions that would undermine the very legal systems that might exist now which (once strengthened down the line) could move the ball forward on the road to democracy. Unlike Khatami, whose popularity made it impossible to go too directly against him personally for a long time, and whose agenda won even among many "conservatives" even as they otherwise tried to settle personal scores, Moin would easily be sidelined by the conservatives and couldn't accomplish anything as president IMO. Indeed, the risks of coup and militarization would then be much more real.

Anyway, whatever choice the people in Iran make, I respect. I am confident that at least 45% will vote in these elections regardless, and I will be trying to figure out who would be the best choice among these candidates. What I have read from Rezaie and even Larijani have not been reactionary, while I am encouraged that Qalibaf has sought to establish a "popular base" instead of just looking to win by getting close to the person on top.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Old-Faraz said:
I am disappointed and extremely saddened. Now the foreign opportunists and LA-based Zaloos will be strengthened.
why so much name callings ??!!!! Why so much labeling??/

Wasn't 27 years ago when communist, Mojahed, Mazhabi, Meli gra and ... all the oposition group worked almost toegther and made the reveloution happen???!!!

why can't we do the same now?? After we get ride of the regime, then people can decide in a " FREE DEMOCRACY" and vote who they want.

Why can't we all work together toward a common goal, get ride of IR and have a free election In Iran.

Till the day, we call each other names and question each other's motives, IR will stay in power. we will have this circus type elections and Our dear Iran will get weaker and weaker.

mowj

National Team Player
May 14, 2005
Old-Faraz,
By acceleration of United Opposition Front already in progress of forming by the few recently announced declarations and boycott of IRI's elections unless certain conditions are met, and even the call to Referendum, they are all domestic forces and personalities, such as "Consolidation Unity Office", "Iran National Front", "National Freedom Movement", "Freedom Party", all Religious Nationalists umbrella and thousands of well known national figures inside the country.
Some of the LA based self-claimed leisure time opposition forces are a joke in comparison and out of equation.
I like to see after illegal disqualifications of Majlis MPs, how Khatami will react to this one. Last time, Khatami claimed he was cheated in last minute by GC dishonoring their promise!!
The country and our citizens needed to go through last eight years of Khatami and the reformists movement from within the power structure of IRI to make many issues clear. To be certain that IRI is not reformable and this clarification occured today will be the seed of many good things to come. Our nation is politically smarter, matureer, and wants the least costly path to freedom and democracy and they have already found the path.
Next few days will be very interesting but the core topic must be boycott of sham elections and formation of a united opposition front.

Mar 2, 2003
Radical slogans will merely make most people who listen and feel somewhat sympathetic to the slogans, become more apathetic. As a whole, Iran is no mood for revolutionary movements or actions.

Of course, if the banner of reforms is trusted to those who want to push radical slogans and agendas, it will suffer a set back. On the other hand, if reformists unite behind a demand that is reasonable and incremental, they might succeed. For instance, if they unite now and stage peaceful protests and strikes under a simple slogan or banner requesting that Moin be allowed to run, they might succeed.

In that event, with the demands focused and reasonable, they might find some traction. Otherwise, they will only backfire.

BTW, Moin has himself stated that even if disqualified, he would still not advocate a boycott. And I am sure that Khatami would not advocate such a move either.

Mar 2, 2003
Farsi Zaban said:
Where is the silver lining in that?LOL
I would love to wake up tommorrow, and find out that Iran is a real democracy. But it is NOT going to happen.

Given the realistic choices that exist, and the dangers that are lurking around, I like to see the ball move forward, if slowly, setting the stage so that at least by the next decade Iran becomes something like a democracy.

I know that seems a "long" time to wait, but if we do the right things, and strengthen the democratic institutions, that will be the end result down the line. Otherwise, if we make mistakes like we have done so often in the past, the time table for Iran becoming a democratic society is only put back.

mowj

National Team Player
May 14, 2005
I am sure the final list will change and Khatami will fight illegal decision of GC however, again behind closed doors but I doubted if the list will include a candidate who will beat right wings hands down and hand them another humiliated defeat. IMHO, most of people in the grey areas of 25%-30% of uncertain voters have already given up on these sham shows after today's decesions.
As to revolution, actually, Iran's situation is very explosive and people very frustrated that any spark will set it off for sure. That is why, I refered to GC's illegal disqualification as stupidity, a suicide if you will, because bunch of brain deads that they are, have no inteligence for perception of Iran situation and the region.
This decision is not a mistake to be restored by protests, this is a soft coup that has been going on ever since Khatami's victory. When the right wing does not play by any rules even their own constitution, how would you expect people to react. Besides, protest, discussions, promotions, exchange of ideas, journalism of any kind will be met with arrests, torture, and executions by the same righ wing. This was a war declared on citizens of Iran, how people will respond, I think we just have to wait and see but it wont be authorized protests.

mowj

National Team Player
May 14, 2005
Simply Ken said:
Given the realistic choices that exist, and the dangers that are lurking around, I like to see the ball move forward, if slowly, setting the stage so that at least by the next decade Iran becomes something like a democracy.
Simply Ken, our march to democracy had started 100 years ago, that should have been more than enough time to reach democracy but Iranians have never been politically more mature than it is now.
Anyway, after 26 years we are marching backward specially since 1376. According to constitution, GC's role has never been to qualify or disqualify any candidate but to oversee the election process to be fair and free and this was the case until 1376 when even Khatami's success surprised them and they did not want to be surprised by Moin one more time. Since 1376, GC is in the business of picking president for the rest to vote for. GC's intrusion is unprecedented even by IRI's tradition prior to 1376 presidential and 1382 parliment elections. Or in 1367, they modified the constitution giving absolute power to 'Vali Faghih".
If opposition front do not organize better and stand up to this hijacking and confiscation of people's right willing to pay the price of freedom and democracy, we will be down a slippery slope of despotic rule and destruction of the country.
For God's sake, look at the idiots they have placed in Majlis with their vetting power, bunch of idiots who are more concerned with women clothing or scarf color than international isolation or threat of sanction, alas, they are doing everything right to subject the country to predictable threats and obvious dangers (militarists attitude).
If there was any chance for refom movement to succeed, it died today with disqualification of not a hardcore opponent but a well educated individual who has served 3 terms in Majlis and 3 or 4 terms as a minister as absolute minimum condition of people. If this is not a coup by a mafia, I don't know what is. My slogan from now on is..
Boycott the sham selections and join a United Opposition Front for saving the beloved country.

kebabe2

IPL Player
Sep 8, 2003
uk
i cant belive we are giving the elections in iran any serious thought here. How can we have a free election in a dictatorial system that has its candidates selected by a body thats judged by not experience in politics but the length of their beards. We are going backwards as a nation but hopefully the people realise the farce this time and avoid being part of it....

Old-Faraz

Bench Warmer
Mar 19, 2004
Mowj:
The reason I am saddened and disappointed is that this regime is digging itself and a nation a hole that cannot be climbed out of without significant costs to the country and the people. I do not want to see any violence or violent change. However, this regime is not leaving a whole lot of options open. Again exactly the mistake that Shah made. I am hoping that there may still be non-violent options to reform the regime, but I am losing hope.

The ordinary people will suffer the most in case of any violent or abrupt change. I firmly believe that foreign powers do not want to see a democratic and independent Iran and are heartened by this decision by the GC because it will lead Iran towards short term anarchy and long-term setbacks in political and economic developments.

Shahinc:
I am sorry, but I will under no circumstances, again no circumstances, support intervention by any foreign powers in Iran. I will under no circumstances, support those who get supported by foreign powers, be it monarchists, MKO, or communists. I will under no circumstances support a return to Monarchy in Iran. The nation has been there, done that. It is perfectly legitimate to be disappointed by the fact that those who do not have the interest of the people in their hearts will be strengthened by this action.

Last time Iranians said what they did not want, but forgot to say what they wanted. This time, we know what everybody does not want. I think we should also say what we do want which is a perfectly democratic society which by definition rules out monarchy, specially one which is indebted to the most fascist elements of the US government. Again, sorry.

beekar

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
here
when MOIN or any other ... puts his name on a document accepting "VELAYATE FAGHEEEH" vowing to serve this "NEZAAM", he has accepted GC's vetting of so called candidates
KHATAMI, MOSHAAREKAT, ... should protest, they should sit in MAJLESS for a while, take of their shoes, stink up the place, have some tea, ... it will be a good laugh

lol, love'g it

Mar 2, 2003
Under the Shah, our "politicians" spoke not to the people, but in language that was meant to impress the Shah. That was because he was seen as the real "source" of power. Since none of the politicians owed their position to any popularity contest, none needed to impress the people. If they did become somewhat popular with at least some people, in fact, it might have even hurt their standing with the Shah (e.g. Prime Minister Amini).

After the revolution, even when we had reasonably fair and open presidential elections like the first elections that got Bani Sadr elected, the candidates who had the best chance of winning were those who had Khomeini's blessing. In other words, the formal process of "democracy" was established, but we were no closer to its real meaning. If Khomeini smiled at this candidate, his fortunes would immediately get a boost among the people. On the other hand, if someone like Admiral Madani, or some other figures, were seen not as close to Khomeini, the people didn't vote for them. That meant that while Bani Sadr might have imagined he got to be president because of the 'people', in truth he was elected because the people thought he was Khomeini's choice!

Khatami was our first genuinely popularly elected, democratic, president. Unfortunately, while his reform movement advanced the ball in many ways and has made Iran a much better society as a result, the regime decided to weaken the democratic institutions to offset the danger to it.

The issue now is how best to get the ball back into the court?

My judgment is that the best way to do so is to look for individuals whose power or fame come from their popularity. That will make them feel indebted to the people, and more careful not to lose their "popularity". Yes, Qalibaf is considered close to Khamenie, but he is a populist and has tried to sideline Khamenie's first choice (Larijani) by being more popular with voters than by being "closer" to Khamenie. I like to encourage that process.

In Moin's case, I like us to find ways to reverse the decision of the Guardians Council, without weakening the outlet that exists (however weak) for some forms of popular representation (i.e. the ballot box). In this process, I feel the best way to do so is the one I suggested, which is to protest this particular move and put pressure on this particular issue.

That said, I don't believe Moin would have won. Or that he was the right answer at this time. He would probably set the very reforms he wants to see take place, back. He is not trusted enough by the regime to even allow him some room to make incremental reforms, and he is not so popular to be able to either demand what Khatami couldn't or to even prevent a move to take him out completely.

The "balance of power" within the regime right now favors the conservatives, but these groups -- allowed to fight among each other -- aren't going to be able to stage a coup. Threatened enough, we might end up with the whole "democratic facade" put to an end. That would make some who like to throw slogans around happy, but it won't help Iran become democratic.

Instead, it would merely increase funding for exiled groups who want the US to fund their activities. It wouldn't even bring those folks to power, unless it is on the back of an American tank!

I believe Iran has a chance to become democratic in due course. But it won't, not even in the medium term, if the we make the wrong choices. At this stage, the wrong choice is to me would be encouraging what (regardless of our intentions) will lead to a divided nation that is thrown into civil war, disintegrates, and find a puppet regime to rule over what remains of it.