Goal stats of the 2010 WC compared to others!

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Now that everyone has played at least one game I'm putting up the goal stats of this world cup compared to that of previous world cups at the same stages.

some very interesting finds in there but nothing that we haven't been noticing.

On the second page, you'll also see the goals per game average of every world cup past, broken into group stage, second round + (remember some world cups didn't necessarilly have knockouts after the group stages, that's why I've named it second round onwards), as well as the tournament as a whole.

Those of you old enough to remember Italia 90, would know that was the worse world cup in terms of goals scored. That's why FIFA made alot of changes after that World Cup such as 3 points for a win, backpass rule came into effect very soon after this world cup to reduce time wasting and new ball being introduced every tournament (this is a marketing ploy as well as obviously working on the theory that an unpredictable ball can lead to more goals).

We are currently in dire straits as far as goals are concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA introduced major changes after this world cup if this trend is to continue for the whole tournament.

I have all the raw data, if anyone wants to know the goal stats for any particular scenario please let me know under this thread and I'll oblige.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I will update the stats after each round robin is completed.

So far 28 goals in 17 games at an average of 1.647. to beat Italia 90's overall average our target is to better 2.212 goals per game which is 142 goals for the tournament.

ABall

Bench Warmer
Jun 15, 2006
whoknowwwws?
I had a theory that it would only take after the first round for the teams to get used to this new ball and all would be well. This is supported by the fact that Germany has been using this ball for a few months and won 4-0.

Now in the first two games of the "second round" we've seen 3-0 and 4-1 matches as well.

I think this stage is over. It is evident that once the players get used to this lighter ball that the scores will rise. For those of you who qualify "good football" with high scoring: here you go.

However, now we're seeing a fluorish on the amount of goals scored. In the second round of matches so far, we've seen three goals between Uruguay and South Africa and five goals between Argentina and South Korea so things are looking up and I think the players are getting used to the light World Cup ball.

Feb 17, 2009
this jabulani ball was being used in the argentinian league for many months and nobody even noticed ROFL !!!!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
LOL Sporty joon you must be an engineer!

I think WC98 was more exciting than any as well.
Iran vs USA was the reason it changed the whole World Cup and gave it an excitement never seen before or after.

Good old dayz

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Ok, 10 goals today. The most fruitful day of the tournament so far!

We're up to 38 Goals at 1.900 per game. Target 2.212 or 142 goals.

Group C tomorrow doesn't really inspire me as a goal scoring group but we shall see. Maybe the Germans can give them a helping hand and lift the goal average to above 2.000