Golden Ball goes to...

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Poor response.

Forlan inspired his team to have one result where they played above their standard and that was against Mexico. Other than that Mueller outplayed him. Other like Xavi, Sneijder, Robben and even Casillas with his numerous clean sheets have all outplayed and had a bigger impact than Forlan.
Bigger impact on who?

Forlan pretty much single handedly brought a mediocre team all the way to the semis. Those other players you mentioned had other stars playing alongside them. Who did Forlan have? A diving Suarez and a brainless Cavani. Forlan to Uruguay is what Maradona is to Argentina. Not even comparable to the other stars of this tournament in terms of the impact he made on his nation.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Muller gets the golden boot and deservedly so. If I had to put them in order, I would have to go with Villa next and a tie for 3rd and 4th between Forlan and Sneider. Both got a few goals either due to lucky bounces, or the fucked up ball fooling the keepers.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Bigger impact on who?

Forlan pretty much single handedly brought a mediocre team all the way to the semis. Those other players you mentioned had other stars playing alongside them. Who did Forlan have? A diving Suarez and a brainless Cavani. Forlan to Uruguay is what Maradona is to Argentina. Not even comparable to the other stars of this tournament in terms of the impact he made on his nation.
BT jaan, you are too quick to dismiss Suarez. If anything, it was Suarez who single handedly (actually he used both hands) brought Uruguay to the semis. In fact, he single handedly brought them to the quarterfinals. Forlan is a great player, no doubt, but he was very fortunate in scoring some goals because the screwy ball went all over the place. Personally, I think Suarez had more to do with Uruguay's success than Forlan.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
BT jaan, you are too quick to dismiss Suarez. If anything, it was Suarez who single handedly (actually he used both hands) brought Uruguay to the semis. In fact, he single handedly brought them to the quarterfinals. Forlan is a great player, no doubt, but he was very fortunate in scoring some goals because the screwy ball went all over the place. Personally, I think Suarez had more to do with Uruguay's success than Forlan.
:insane:

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Bigger impact on who?

Wrong, Suarez and the rest of the team had a huge impact on the success of Uruguay.

vs. Mexico - Suarez scores the winner ensuring Uruguay avoids Argentina (who they would have lost to for sure) Suarez gets Man of the Match.

vs. Korea - Suarez scores two goals including one in overtime to get his team in the Quarterfinals. Forlan gets an assist as a result of a goalkeeping error. Suarez gets Man of the Match.

vs Ghana - Forlan benefits from the Jabulani and scores from a free kick. Suarez blocks two 100% goals from being scored and saves his team from elimination. Muslera blocks 2 penalty shots. Unbelievably Forlan gets Man of the Match. Suarez becomes a national hero.

vs Holland - Suarez doesn't play. Forlan scores a goal which the Dutch goaltender should have easily saved. Uruguay lose, Sneijder gets Man of the Match.

vs Germany - Forlan hits a volley and is extremely lucky to benefit from a lucky bounce and poor goaltending from Germany's reserve goaltender to get a goal against a German team that look like they could care less about third place. Mueller not Forlan get Man of the Match after scoring twice only to have one count.

Clearly Forlan did not single handedly take his team to the Semis. In fact it was Suarez's performance against Korea and Ghana that got the team to the Semis. Forlan got this award based solely on his goals scored. It is unfortunate that a player such as Mueller was overlooked for this award solely based on age because his strike rate and other stats are better than Forlans.

Mar 13, 2007
LOLLLLLLLLLl, imagine the kinda world cup it has been when united's reject diego forlan is you golden boy and spain your champs !

first word cup ever where there was not a single above avergae player in the tournament !

forlan!? muller !? lol......

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
LOLL @ Khorus and his single hand/both hands comment
:D

good one!
:)

I think really Sneijder and Forlan both were very effective in those wins for their respective teams.
remember Sneijder in Holland vs. brazil game? he won that game alone.(and Robin was also great).

Sneijder got injured after that and was not as effective today or the last game.

Diego (now Saint Diego) lol Forlan also took some personal effort to win games for Uruguay.
Unfortunately they lost to Germany but man this german team is very promising and I think it is going to be the Germany (or west germany) of 1970's!

(heh they've already got a Mueller) , but that Masoud guy (number 7) is awesome!
so is the whole team. Keep your eyes on Germany...

OK Now let us go to General Forums so we can cuss each other out
:D:boxing::madcomp::gun::hau:

Last edited:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Behrooz jan, I simply don't agree. Well, if they wanted to share the award...then ok. If they want someone outright, then it makes sense. It's like goal difference being the tie-breaker in groups, when two teams have the same amount of points.
Kaz, then in that case no one should accuse Spain of not scoring enough goals because you should count chances, shots on target, attempts on goal etc etc to decide how offensive a side is!

Call me old fashioned, I just liked it better when the golden boot was given to the player(s) who scored the most goals and that's that.

Aug 26, 2005
Kaz, then in that case no one should accuse Spain of not scoring enough goals because you should count chances, shots on target, attempts on goal etc etc to decide how offensive a side is!

Call me old fashioned, I just liked it better when the golden boot was given to the player(s) who scored the most goals and that's that.
You're getting into quality of play. If you scored 6 goals that were deflected, then you'd win the golden boot regardless.

As for the argument re Muller and Forlan...it's like when people argue Lampard has better stats than Gerrard. One is a in a team with many players as good as himself, the other is practically carrying the side on his back. The fact that the stats are similar at all makes Forlan's performance even more impressive.

And before people get it twisted, I am a Muller fanboy. What Muller did was great for a kid, but Forlan did the kind of thing a Man does.