Googoosh Music Academy

I've only just discovered this phenomenon. The Guardian and The Daily Mail have covered a story in the last week about the winner and the fact that the Iranian government doesn't like her, or the show, or the channel - but three million people in Iran watched the final which seems pretty cool. What do you think of the show? Did you think the winner deserved to win? The format is a bit like American Idol but great to see the show being a success, and brilliant to see Googoosh back in the media limelight!

Here's the story from The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/29/ermia-iranian-x-factor-winner

[h=1]Ermia – the talent show winner giving voice to Iran's disenfranchised many[/h] Millions vote for Ermia, 31, to win 'Iranian X Factor', but conservatives accuse her of trying to tarnish Islam

Saeed Kamali Dehghan
The Guardian
, Friday 29 March 2013 15.05 GMT
Googoosh Academy winner Ermia, who said there was no contradiction between singing in public and wearing a hijab. Photograph: Saeed Jodat/Marjan TV Network

At family gatherings up and down Iran, the big topic of conversation in recent weeks has been how to vote – not in the imminent presidential elections, but in a reality TV show recorded by exiles abroad that has become an instant hit in living rooms back home.

Last week, millions of Iranians voted for their favourite singer on Googoosh Music Academy, Iran's version of the X Factor. Curiously, the series was transmitted from London by an exiled television channel, Manoto TV. Like other opposition channels, Manoto (which translates as "me and you") is accessible in Iran via illegal satellite dishes installed on rooftops.

Its glamorous shows, which include a version of Come Dine With Me, have provided Iranian households for the first time with access to the kind of professionally made popular television programmes absent from state TV.

"Everywhere I go, anyone I visit, the talk is the Googoosh Academy," said Mehran, a Tehran resident, on Facebook. "People in our country are exhausted by all sorts of financial and social difficulties these days and this show has lifted our spirits, at least for a short while."

This year, the winner of the $25,000 (£16,500) prize is Ermia, a 31-year-old vocalist who has defied religious restrictions to sing in public as a married woman, but at the same time covers her body from head to toe while performing.

Alas, not everyone believes the result is fair. Iranian elections have been bedevilled by charges of fraud, and Googoosh Academy appears to be no exception. "People talk about the Academy but 90% of their conversation is about whether the votes were rigged this year," said Hossein, a university student from the city of Karaj. "It just doesn't add up, she is a paradox: she has the hijab but she sings. How come she got the most votes? I have no idea."

Ermia's win has prompted nationwide discussions, especially among Iranian web users, about the hijab. Some more secular Iranians accuse her of having ties with the Islamic republic because she is covered, while others – mostly conservatives inside Iran – accuse her of trying to tarnish the image of Islam.

According to Manoto's website, Ermia, a former student of philosophy at Tehran University, is from the small city of Khomein south-west of Tehran, incidentally the home town of the late founder of the Islamic republic, Imam Khomeini, and now lives in Germany with her husband.

She had always liked singing, according to the website, but had never had the courage to participate in such a singing competition in the past. "You can also sing with a hijab," her husband assured her, according to Manoto. She is cited as saying there's "no contradiction between singing and hijab".

Hassan Taehrani, an artist who travelled to towns and villages in southern Iran while Googoosh Academy was on air, said Iranians outside the big cities were following the singing competition very closely.

"Ermia was people's favourite in the smaller cities I visited," he said. "She had lots of followers not because she sang very well but because people had sympathy with her. The truth is that she is like many of us in society who are left somewhere in middle of tradition and modernism."

Masoud Behnoud, a veteran Iranian journalist, said Googoosh Academy was the first time Iranians had experienced a reality show of this kind and on such a scale. "There have been programmes in the past such as Navad [Ninety], which is a sport show where people phone in to vote, but people's experience with the Academy is the first of its kind. For more than 3 million people to dial a foreign number in a single night in a programme held outside Iran is a definitely a record."

According to Behnoud, the Academy owes most of its success to Googoosh, the famous Iranian pop singer who is one of the programme's three judges. Unlike many of her fellow singers, Googoosh refused to leave Iran for exile after the 1979 Islamic revolution, instead living a quiet life in her country. She finally left in 2000 and sang for the first time after 21 years to the delight of millions of fans.

Behnoud said: "She is a unique figure. Googoosh sang for our grandparents, our parents, for us, and now she's singing for our children. The Googoosh Academy's experience is one that will make Iranian politicians think about new ways of reaching out to ordinary people."

The state's response to the programmer has been to jam signals and accuse its makers of links to "the Zionist regime", a reference to Israel. Nevertheless, even state-affiliated news agencies and websites have conceded that the Academy has become a household name.

Manoto TV was launched in 2009 by Kayvan and Marjan Abbassi, a couple exiled in the UK, and its Facebook page been "liked" by more than 1 million people, seemingly more than any other Iranian page on Facebook.

Manoto TV turned down a Guardian request for interviews with its directors or people behind the show.

Tina Sabouri on Baztab-e-Emrooz, a conservative news website, complained that: "When the state-run television with all its money can't attract old and young audiences during Nowruz [new year], people would inevitably tune in to TV channels such as Manoto."

Posting a comment on Baztab-e-Emrooz's article about Ermia and her win, an anonymous user said: "I don't have a satellite dish but my 10-year-old child is pressing me to get one and when I ask why, he says all [state] channels only show clerics."

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I dont mind the show, dont think she deserved to win and it has NOTHING to do with the fact she wears a scarf for me, simply didn't like her voice as much as someone like Neda. overall great show and really sad by all the comments Iranians left for Ermia just because she wears a Hejab, its amazing how intolerable we are as a nation.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Who owns this Man & To station? They are very professional but no commercials. We have 30 channels in LA and all are crap why is this one an exception?

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Who owns this Man & To station? They are very professional but no commercials. We have 30 channels in LA and all are crap why is this one an exception?
You sure they have no Ads? the reason i ask is i always watch it on YouTube and never live since it is not on any North America Sat. They do have a "Tablighat" section on their site so i am not sure.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
You sure they have no Ads? the reason i ask is i always watch it on YouTube and never live since it is not on any North America Sat. They do have a "Tablighat" section on their site so i am not sure.
The people that watch it in Iran were telling me that its owned by the British foreign ministry but you know how they do "yek kalagh 40 kalagh". They say there are no commercials and they have great documentaries and shows like this one and befarmaaied shaam and ....

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
The people that watch it in Iran were telling me that its owned by the British foreign ministry but you know how they do "yek kalagh 40 kalagh". They say there are no commercials and they have great documentaries and shows like this one and befarmaaied shaam and ....
LOOOOOOOOOOL British foreign ministry LOOOOL !!!! they do make "DECENT" money from YouTube , if you look at their impressions on YouTube its OK but if they have NO ADS, i dont think the YouTube money is enough to cover the cost but still dont think British foreign ministry will open a channel for Iranians !!! if they have, dameshoon garm ! en hame too Irani natoonestan too LA :)

Jul 28, 2007
Exactly my question. I've been recently watching this channel and quite surprised with the picture/programming quality.
It's owned by Abbasi family. Who are they? Couldn't find it out yet.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Back to the subject of the thread....

I never watch Googoosh academy but because of the hype, I watched the last few episodes and I thought all top 4 participants had good voices. They all had different singing voices but I don't think anyone was worse than the other. so I didn't think Emira didn't deserve it as I've read many people say. Just that the others deserved it just as much. I thought Emira and Majid had soft and clear voices while Neda's and Amir Hossein's voices were stronger.

All in all..... there are better talents in the Ameican and even in the Swedish idol. I wished this was being held in Iran!

AFRIRAN

IPL Player
Jun 8, 2010
Googoosh herself is just a cheap IR supporter and this woman is a clear example of how Iranians fool themselves about " Islam " ...

marry a christian , wear hejab and sing in public... and make people believe you are a Muslim, you are just a fucking stupid

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Googoosh herself is just a cheap IR supporter and this woman is a clear example of how Iranians fool themselves about " Islam " ...
What do you base that on?

marry a christian , wear hejab and sing in public... and make people believe you are a Muslim, you are just a fucking stupid
How do you know the guy didn't convert to Islam before marrying her? Where does it say in Islam that it is forbidden for women to sing in public? Only because that rule is implemented in IR doesn't mean it is based on Islam?

I see a lot of accusations here that, to me, lack foundation.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Every human has certain belief and if they don't preach about it and keep it for themselves, it is respected.

The person who won this competition, truly deserved it in my opinion.

Some people are talking about tolerance and democracy and can't tolerate something as simple as this.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Whoever's doing it, I think it's a great idea that they're promoting this aspect of the Iranian arts and culture which was completely obliterated by the IR. And I totally agree that it's retarded to make fun of her because of her hejab (again it call comes down to promoting tolerance while being intolerant). Here's the final by the way... I did think she deserved to win btw (one for he choice of the last song and two she was on-key with both songs - Majid fell behind a couple of times in the 1st song).

[video=youtube_share;Y3ItltG9GP8]http://youtu.be/Y3ItltG9GP8[/video]

Last edited:

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com

she believes she is a muslim, whatever its her choice, does it harm you in any shape or form?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Whoever's doing it, I think it's a great idea that they're promoting this aspect of the Iranian arts and culture which was completely obliterated by the IR. And I totally agree that it's retarded to make fun of her because of her hejab (again it call comes down to promoting tolerance while being intolerant). Here's the final by the way...

[video=youtube_share;Y3ItltG9GP8]http://youtu.be/Y3ItltG9GP8[/video]
What this program did was it shattered the akhoonds that said you can't sing if you are a muslim and a woman. Now I don't really care about the truth of that but if this challenges some of the hard core Muslims belief system I am all for it. There are thousands of girls now in small towns that now think its ok to sing.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
What this program did was it shattered the akhoonds that said you can't sing if you are a muslim and a woman. Now I don't really care about the truth of that but if this challenges some of the hard core Muslims belief system I am all for it. There are thousands of girls now in small towns that now think its ok to sing.
100% with you Siavash jaan. I consider this progress to the status quo, so why are we always against progress? Things have to happen in small steps and this a great one IMHO - shattering stereotypes and prejudices is not a small feat.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Merci az shoma? Have you guys noticed the language has gone to the dogs? We got akhoonds on one side doing their thing and Iranians abroad doing theirs. Never mind the Iranians in Iran themselves. The men sound gay and the women sound like they are high on something.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
The men sound gay and the women sound like they are high on something.
Well, we don't have homosexuals in Iran ;) but with 3 million motaads, I wouldn't be surprised about the 2nd one. Plus, it's the entertainment industry - everyone's high on something! ;)

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
I thought Roshaneh deserved to win to be honest she truly had the best voice in the whole competition. Googoosh music academy is just like a popularity contest on who people like better based on their looks and not talent. It is totally rigged. I thought Ermia was good but some other people like Roshaneh and Amir Hossein were way better anyways that's the way rigged shows are!.... If Iranians truly voted for people on this show they should be a shame of themselves for failing to see who was better on their overall singing and not who resembled more like themselves or who's face they liked better!