Great news: Faghani may be the ref for the World Cup Final

Dec 30, 2014
It is not Iran bashing. It is simply true. None of our players or coaches have ever reached where he has. In terms of class (shakhsiat) he is up there with just a few.
First of all, the way Sly used World Class was not meant as "shakhsiat". World Class really refers to someone whose skill is comparable to the best of the world. Faghani definitely is world class, and so are a number of other Iranian footballers.

Second, I do not know Faghani or any other famous Iranian footballer personally, so I do not know their "shakhsiat" whether good or bad. I certainly refrain from judging people whom I do not know.

Regarding Iran-bashing, I am surprised anyone, most of all you, here would disagree that it has been going on for a very long time. Should I refresh everyone's memory?!!

Nov 29, 2002
Fifa announced the following referees for the upcoming quarter finals:

Nestor Pitana (Argentina)
Milorad Mazic (Serbia)
Sandro Ricci (Brazil)
Bjoern Kuipers (Netherlands)

As Fifa prefers to give a round of rest to refs at this stage, this is my prediction for semi final and final:

KUIPERS will be the finals ref
FAGHANI and CESAR RAMOS will be semi-finals refs.

That's a shame because my feeling was that Faghani has been the most solid ref, but I guess a Dutch ref for the final will be more "acceptable" for the global community. Even on pure merit, an iranian can only hope for semi final maximum as we are a bloody pariah country....

Oct 18, 2010
if either brazil or uruguay make it to the final then
fifa has to choose an asian or african ref for the final.
the other side in the final is sure to be from uefa
which rules out a uefa ref for the final.

Nov 29, 2002
if either brazil or uruguay make it to the final then
fifa has to choose an asian or african ref for the final.
the other side in the final is sure to be from uefa
which rules out a uefa ref for the final.
Has there been a change in rules that I'm not aware of?
If not, where have you got this from?

Oct 18, 2010
it's always been the case.
if the final is between a uefa side vs a south american side
then the ref can not be from uefa or conmebol.

Nov 29, 2002
it's always been the case.
if the final is between a uefa side vs a south american side
then the ref can not be from uefa or conmebol.
Always been the case?

I just looked back at all the last world cup finals between UEFA teams and CONMEBOL teams and, quite literally, the opposite of what you are saying is true.

Last world cup finals between UEFA and CONMEBOL teams:

2014 world cup final between Germany (UEFA) and Argentina (CONMEBOL). Ref was Italian (UEFA)
2002 world cup final between Germany (UEFA) and Brazil (CONMEBOL). Ref was Italian (UEFA)

What are you on about?

For information, the other world cup finals in the interim were between European teams and ref was from UEFA.

Last edited:

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Always been the case?

I just looked back at all the last world cup finals between UEFA teams and CONMEBOL teams and, quite literally, the opposite of what you are saying is true.

2014 world cup final between Germany (UEFA) and Argentina (CONMEBOL). Ref was Italian (UEFA)
2002 world cup final between Germany (UEFA) and Brazil (CONMEBOL). Ref was Italian (UEFA)

What are you on about?

For information, the other world cup finals in the interim were between European teams and ref was from UEFA.
The only restriction is Howard Webb cannot ref Sir Alex’s team games

Oct 18, 2010
Always been the case?

What are you on about?

ok,i stand correted.
but i don't understand it.
why would s. american teams agree to an eu ref?
why not a s. american ref!

Oct 18, 2010
i think after the semis today s. american teams will
demand non-euro refs for their matches against euro
teams in future world cups.

Nov 29, 2002
I really like the guy, he balances everything. He has a level of calmness and authority that is pretty damn amazing (some might say, particularly given what country he is from).

But what I love is that he takes no shit, is dominant in how he handles players, but yet still prioritises then flow of the game.

I'm dreaming of England v Belgium final with Faghani as ref!

----------------------------

Man, looking at this, it looks like everything is building up to the world cup final:

Usdvsdntitled.png