Great news: Faghani may be the ref for the World Cup Final

Nov 29, 2002
Still great and we can only be proud of him but if you go on social media over the last few weeks people have been tipping Faghani for the final - I'm talking about independent referee observers.

So its a bit of a shame he didn't get it when he deserved it, but I guess having an iranian referee for a world cup final may not be "PC" for some people.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Good Job Faghani, he makes us proud!
He deserved the final, I am sure politics played a key role in FIFA not choosing him! He was the best candidate for refereeing the Final of WC... too bad!

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
What an achievement by Faghani. The way I read it is that Fifa is telling him that his performance was worthy of the final, had it not been his first appearance as the man in the middle in the World Cup. American Mark Geiger got the VAR for the third place match. Good for Faghani. I bet you he will whistle the Euro 2020 final.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
What an achievement by Faghani. The way I read it is that Fifa is telling him that his performance was worthy of the final, had it not been his first appearance as the man in the middle in the World Cup. American Mark Geiger got the VAR for the third place match. Good for Faghani. I bet you he will whistle the Euro 2020 final.
Unless things change by then, UEFA uses only European Refs, so it has to be Qater WC.

Nov 24, 2002
Faghani said it was kind of obvious from the remaining referees the one who got opening was going to get final. I don't know if it is a logic argument or not!!!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Damesh garm anyways. His team achieved what no other Iranians have achieved so far! If he continues as a refree, with his experience, he may get the final next time.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Why do you guys think that's a meaningless game? Isn't it important to see which team becomes 3rd?

I'm sure both the English and the Belgians think it is!

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Why do you guys think that's a meaningless game? Isn't it important to see which team becomes 3rd?

I'm sure both the English and the Belgians think it is!
Very few people ever remember who came 3rd in a world cup. It's meaningless because it doesn't take you further than a semi final.
I think both sides will give their reserve players time on the pitch instead of the regulars. To them it matters because they can say they played in a world cup