Havana

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
How did you like Havana ?

I went to Cuba this summer and going around Havana made me so unhappy. The level of poverty is something I have never seen in my life.
It feels like a time bomb stopped everything or an atomic bomb exploded in the city 40 years ago.

Also one thing that was very interesting to me was the name of the streets and squares. All the name are like freedom, martyrs .... really resembled Iran in that way.
The country is really beautiful and nice people ... but very unhappy people ...

When I was in the resort, a very beautiful young girl in early 20's came to me and begged me to get him a burger. Her eyes was full of tears and I did that for her.
I actually got her a combo: burger, fries, salad and drink. It was really sad.
The day I came back from Havana to our resort, I felt blessed of my life and to this date I never forget that experience.
The communism and their propaganda machine is nothing but a balloon of hot air. The people are suffering big time.
I can also post the Havana pictures if you want.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Nice pics. Did you bring me some cigars?
Agha poste ma ra like mikoni? Ma migim cigaremoon koo like mikone. Bad migand esfania khasisand. Baba ye doone mikhaym na ye box.

On a separate note your pictures are very crisp. What kind of camera did you use?

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
This was my second time in Havana. I had a similar experience the first time i went there as I only stayed there for 2 days in Old Havana at a fancy hotel. This time, I decided to stay for 10 days.. and stayed at a bed and breakfast owned by a really nice Cuban family. Now this time my whole perspective changed as I saw life through their perspective, not just as a tourist waiting to get back to his resort.

i saw their struggles, and theyre definitely hurting but the locals that I met seemed relatively happy.. education food and healthcare and housing are all free.. that puts all of them above the level of poverty i've seen in Jamaica, Haiti or Guatemala etc.. you have to see real poverty to understand what it really is.

people's basic needs are met in Cuba, they're just kept from striving for more.. in general, no one's dying from hunger or suffering from lack of health care or education.. or anyone without a roof on their head.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
This was my second time in Havana. I had a similar experience the first time i went there as I only stayed there for 2 days in Old Havana at a fancy hotel. This time, I decided to stay for 10 days.. and stayed at a bed and breakfast owned by a really nice Cuban family. Now this time my whole perspective changed as I saw life through their perspective, not just as a tourist waiting to get back to his resort.

i saw their struggles, and theyre definitely hurting but the locals that I met seemed relatively happy.. education food and healthcare and housing are all free.. that puts all of them above the level of poverty i've seen in Jamaica, Haiti or Guatemala etc.. you have to see real poverty to understand what it really is.

people's basic needs are met in Cuba, they're just kept from striving for more.. in general, no one's dying from hunger or suffering from lack of health care or education.. or anyone without a roof on their head.
That is a very interesting perspective .... but there is no way a Cuban family can improve their life ...Yes, people are not dying but when the standard of living is set for you since birth and there is no where to go to since you are in island, there is no hope ... people are hopeless ...
They have to be satisfied with what they have got ...
Also Havana is the richest part of the country, other pars of country are even worse ....

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
That is a very interesting perspective .... but there is no way a Cuban family can improve their life ...Yes, people are not dying but when the standard of living is set for you since birth and there is no where to go to since you are in island, there is no hope ... people are hopeless ...
They have to be satisfied with what they have got ...
Also Havana is the richest part of the country, other pars of country are even worse ....
How safe is Havana in terms of going there , walking around the town and ... ??

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
H
When I was in the resort, a very beautiful young girl in early 20's came to me and begged me to get him a burger. Her eyes was full of tears and I did that for her.
I actually got her a combo: burger, fries, salad and drink. It was really sad.
Was that inside the resort ? How did she get in ?
I have heard similar stories from friends who visited Cuba about how poor the people are and ...
It makes me feel uncomfortable going there and staying in a luxury resort and have all you can eat and drink while knowing your waiter or room service guy is actually hungry ...

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
in general, no one's dying from hunger or suffering from lack of health care or education.
They are not dying from hunger, huh? Could you have set the bar any lower to excuse Castro? Your soft spot for him is glaring. And then they say if you say Dems are watered down Commies you are slandering them.

Feb 22, 2005
It is narrow-mindness like this that have you going through life missing on so much. You think life is sitting behind a desk, making money, going home to a big house with family and turning the TV on. Oh yeah, forgot fancy car. Brainwashed by watching too much TV.

Must have been like a Muslim gone to Mecca. Didn't you get the itch to perhaps just stay there? They have the best health care in the world, you know. And of course everything is "free", as you surely noticed.

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
I have heard similar stories from friends who visited Cuba about how poor the people are and ...
It makes me feel uncomfortable going there and staying in a luxury resort and have all you can eat and drink while knowing your waiter or room service guy is actually hungry ...
yo dont HAVE to go to a resort.. cuba is more than just resorts.. dont be a typical north american... go to a bed and breakfast.. help a few people out who need your business more than the luxury resorts.. also you get to know the culture of the country you're visiting rather than stuffing yourself with food and drink while being separated from the realities outside... i thought that was the whole point of traveling.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
we were in the beach, and all the resorts are beside each other but the cuban could access the beach through other resorts

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
yo dont HAVE to go to a resort.. cuba is more than just resorts.. dont be a typical north american... go to a bed and breakfast.. help a few people out who need your business more than the luxury resorts.. also you get to know the culture of the country you're visiting rather than stuffing yourself with food and drink while being separated from the realities outside... i thought that was the whole point of traveling.
I agree with you 100% that it is great to see the culture .... but I went there to relax since I had a tough year and didn't research about it prior to going there. I have to say it was very different and I don't regret the experience at all ... it opened my eyes ... but you said peope are relatively happy but I don't agree with that at all ... people are hopeless ... Castro is a failure and I hate him ... Communism is nothing more than a propgaganda machine ...

AFRIRAN

IPL Player
Jun 8, 2010
Wow ,baba irooni haa hame motekhases ridan too haal mardom hastan , Daash Natural oomad yek sari ax-e aali ke faghat too ketab haa mishe did baraatoon post kard ke chehreye bedoon rootoosh Havana ro bebinin , be jaaye in ke niga konin didgaahesho befahmin hey bezanin too haalesh , in faghat takhasos irooni haast ke vaght kermeshoon lool dar miaad zed-e haal bezanan , photographer ke Castro va systemesho nayaavorde sar kaar ke.

Mamnoon daash Natural az axat , they clearly talk.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
I know that Europeans can freely travel to Cuba, but how about Americans ( I mean Iranian with American Passport)?