Help: Yahoo has taken over my browser

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Has anyone experienced this and found a fix?

It seems that yahoo search engine has taken over all my browsers. I hate yahoo and for years I have used google as the most convenient and complete search engine. I bought a new HP laptop and it was fine for the first few days but now yahoo has taken over the browser. I have set the home page to google, deleted all other search engines in the setting of the browser, google shows up for two seconds and immediately redirects to yahoo.

I have tried everything suggested on internet forums and none has worked. I have uninstalled/reinstalled chrome and firefox with no luck. My other laptop is ok.

There must be a way to fix this. I hope I don't have to re-install windows. Sometimes I feel like writing a letter of abusive and sending it to yahoo. :(

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Has anyone experienced this and found a fix?

It seems that yahoo search engine has taken over all my browsers. I hate yahoo and for years I have used google as the most convenient and complete search engine. I bought a new HP laptop and it was fine for the first few days but now yahoo has taken over the browser. I have set the home page to google, deleted all other search engines in the setting of the browser, google shows up for two seconds and immediately redirects to yahoo.

I have tried everything suggested on internet forums and none has worked. I have uninstalled/reinstalled chrome and firefox with no luck. My other laptop is ok.

There must be a way to fix this. I hope I don't have to re-install windows. Sometimes I feel like writing a letter of abusive and sending it to yahoo. :(
don't know which browser you are using.
if it is chrome. it kind of hides the search providers under settings window.

if it was a malware it would not be redirecting to yahoo. it is just
agreement yahoo has signed with the PC companies.
to make yahoo the default search provider.

please notice that the search provider and the default page and the home button
are distinct concepts.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Behroozjan,

You've most likely been infected with the "SearchSetting" malware. Yes it's actually called SearchSetting and it's annoying as fuck. If you open Task Manager, you might even be able to see the stupid process called "searchsetting.exe" or "searchsetting_x64.exe".

First and foremost, download and install MalwareBytes:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/thankyou/

Then run the scan and make sure all found items are selected. Then click on FIX. Restart your computer and then change your search engine in your browser settings.

Let me know how it goes.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
Behroozjan,

You've most likely been infected with the "SearchSetting" malware. Yes it's actually called SearchSetting and it's annoying as fuck. If you open Task Manager, you might even be able to see the stupid process called "searchsetting.exe" or "searchsetting_x64.exe".

Then run the scan and make sure all found items are selected. Then click on FIX. Restart your computer and then change your search engine in your browser settings.

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks BT. I will try this.
Just to be sure, Malwarebytes is not a software that installs rubbish I don't want, right?

try google with "yahoo takes over chrome".
and next time don't install any free software blindly.
I didn't install anything, I mean I never had the chance to. I only just got the laptop. I am sure it's nothing to do with that.

Oct 18, 2010
Thanks BT. I will try this.
Just to be sure, Malwarebytes is not a software that installs rubbish I don't want, right?

I didn't install anything, I mean I never had the chance to. I only just got the laptop. I am sure it's nothing to do with that.
you may not know it but going to some sites and clicking on links does it to you.
do this:

chrome->settings->search->manage search engines

make sure GOOGLE is the default one and get rid of any strange ones.

Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
I am pretty sure its all about a software, add on or extention which is installed either by default or you have downloaded one of those "can't-do-without-it" utilities where a few other softwares are attached and you can easily set the wrong click in the process and thus download some unwanted adware along with the initial software. That google tool i gave you above, is something like a reset software for chrome to get rid of all those stuff.

Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
If you used malwarebytes as BT suggested then it must have been a malware that took control of your browser settings. I doubt that it returns if you have deleted or quarantined it with malwarebytes.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
you may not know it but going to some sites and clicking on links does it to you.
do this:

chrome->settings->search->manage search engines

make sure GOOGLE is the default one and get rid of any strange ones.
That was one of the first things I did. Didn't work.

If you used malwarebytes as BT suggested then it must have been a malware that took control of your browser settings. I doubt that it returns if you have deleted or quarantined it with malwarebytes.
It's worked, for now. I have been free of yahoo search for a day now. Let's hope it does not return.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Behroozjan,

Let me know how it goes.
Remember when I had the same problem and you suggested the same thing for me? It worked I got malware bytes and also ad block and that resolved my issue. Also, I really don't like crome or firefox. I love MAXTHON, you can get it for free and there are not nearly as many pop ups.