In Iran, Golf Remains a Game of the Elite

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
tell which country Golf is played by real athletes.

it is not a sport if you can play it while drinking and smoking cigar.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Golf is a very difficult game and you wont' appreciate it till you play it.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Yes everything has it's own intricacies.

but how many sports do you have in the world that a 45 year old and a 40 year would be a it's top players.
and it can be played with pants on.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
people lets not make foolish comments about golf if you dont know anything about it please, its 2015

Golf is the single most challenging, most interesting, most entertaining, most difficult game ever invented. Its defiantly not for those with little minds and little pockets who can only understand and participate in simple, straight forward games requiring little or no brain or athleticism - like soccer!

There is a reason golfers are the highest paid athletes in the world geniuses!

Lets face it, you can be an elementary school drop out, borderline retarded and physically look line Iniesta and still be a soccer superstar! That’s impossible in golf or most other sports

Last edited:

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Yes everything has it's own intricacies.

but how many sports do you have in the world that a 45 year old and a 40 year would be a it's top players.
and it can be played with pants on.
you dont know what you are saying, which 40 year old is golf's top player!? maybe one or two here and there but its not typicall at all. Rory, watson, scott, stenson, rose,....are young, tall, incredibly more skilled than any mindless soccer player who run and kick the ball.

I mean come one take a look at di maria, xavi, lahm, giovinco,...and tell me why you consider them great athletes!? cause they can run for long periods!? takes a lot more than that to be considered an athlete. Now if you say ovechkin, labron, marchand lynch, ...i say fine but please.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
no you are typical golf enthusiast that is blind to the fact that Phil Mickelson is 45 and plays in Majors.

There is just not that much athletic capability involved compared to BasketBall, Boxing, UFC, Hell BaseBall, Hockey, American Football, Swimming.

please you show me how many calories a typical golf athlete burns off and how many calories a tennis player burns off during a game.

IF you want to talk about intelligence. why don't we just call off all sports and have everybody play Chess.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
no you are typical golf enthusiast that is blind to the fact that Phil Mickelson is 45 and plays in Majors.

There is just not that much athletic capability involved compared to BasketBall, Boxing, UFC, Hell BaseBall, Hockey, American Football, Swimming.

please you show me how many calories a typical golf athlete burns off and how many calories a tennis player burns off during a game.

IF you want to talk about intelligence. why don't we just call off all sports and have everybody play Chess.

what? we always had 40 and 45 year olds who were boxing, UFC and wrestling champs, play in NHL and NBA and etc ! what does age have anything to do with anything? i think you are mixing athleticism and soccer and its age requirements because soccer is based on ability to run for long periods first and foremost. but running and athleticism have little to do with eachother or else kenyan long distance runners would have been considered the greatest athletes in the world!lol, i can take 5 of them on my own in just about any game probably where agility and strength and smarts is required! so they are not great athletes

people i mentioned are true 'athletes' and you can argue if CR is a better athlete than tiger woods or top F1 drivers or which requires more skills.

by the way you try playing golf for 5 hours at a course like agusta and tell me which is more exhausting that or playing 2 hours of tennis.

Dec 30, 2014
people lets not make foolish comments about golf if you dont know anything about it please, its 2015

Golf is the single most challenging, most interesting, most entertaining, most difficult game ever invented. Its defiantly not for those with little minds and little pockets who can only understand and participate in simple, straight forward games requiring little or no brain or athleticism - like soccer!

There is a reason golfers are the highest paid athletes in the world geniuses!

Lets face it, you can be an elementary school drop out, borderline retarded and physically look line Iniesta and still be a soccer superstar! That’s impossible in golf or most other sports
Yes, you are absolutely right. Golf is a demanding "activity" that only people with the imposing physique of John Daly can play.

https://www.google.com/search?q=joh...f%2Fpga%2Fnews%3Fslug%3Djo-daly110608;310;365

By the way, just because something is difficult it does not make it a sport. I venture to guess that is very hard to piss in a cup that is 10 feet away, but that does not make "distant cup pissing" a real sport.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Golf is a very difficult game and you wont' appreciate it till you play it.
Ya I started golfing two years ago and I just got good at driving and now I need to work on putting. With a pw I can drive it 100 yards. With a very good driver, at the most 275.

@IDM-At the MMA gym I go to SityodTong in Pasadena, we have quite a few number of Iranian Americans who are participating on Mauy Thai, boxing, BJJ and MMA. I do MT and BJJ myself(but I am a beginner in Mauy Thai I've been doing BJJ for three years on and off now).

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
golf is certainly a difficult game to play but It's not a real sport. It involves walking and swinging a club every 10 minutes. LOL the caddies exert themselves more physically than the golfers.

By those standards, fly fishing is a far more physically challenging sport, at least it involves hiking most of the time to get to the river, not walking on nice soft golf green.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Yes, you are absolutely right. Golf is a demanding "activity" that only people with the imposing physique of John Daly can play.

https://www.google.com/search?q=joh...f%2Fpga%2Fnews%3Fslug%3Djo-daly110608;310;365

By the way, just because something is difficult it does not make it a sport. I venture to guess that is very hard to piss in a cup that is 10 feet away, but that does not make "distant cup pissing" a real sport.

you dont know what the hell you are talking about son! is pissing an olympic sport with richest athletes and the biggest purse in all sports!? lol

i dont see you getting all excited about anyone calling ping pong, badminton, shooting, archery, shooting, diving, equistrian, sailing,....which are all olympic events - 'sports'!

do you understand the power, speed, mechanics, skill ...it takes to hit a golf ball 340 yrds to a specific location on a drive way!???? i bet you got no clue.
In fact a 4.5-5 hour round of golf on a professional course burns more calories than any other sport or game in its entierty!

plus, based on your definition of how an athlete should look like then this guy surely shouldnt be considered an athlete either!

Dec 30, 2014

you dont know what the hell you are talking about son! is pissing an olympic sport with richest athletes and the biggest purse in all sports!? lol

i dont see you getting all excited about anyone calling ping pong, badminton, shooting, archery, shooting, diving, equistrian, sailing,....which are all olympic events - 'sports'!

do you understand the power, speed, mechanics, skill ...it takes to hit a golf ball 340 yrds to a specific location on a drive way!???? i bet you got no clue.
In fact a 4.5-5 hour round of golf on a professional course burns more calories than any other sport or game in its entierty!

plus, based on your definition of how an athlete should look like then this guy surely shouldnt be considered an athlete either!
Easy Bro. I actually like Golf. I play it myself, when I am too sore or injured to play Soccer, in need of an activity that combines drinking with hanging out with friends. But calling it a Sport, well that is a bit of a stretch.

On the question of making money, well, dart players make a lot of money, so do some pool players. There are even computer game competitions with a lot of prize money. I would not call any of them sports either. They are games, activities. Albeit difficult, but not a sport.

Nov 29, 2002
Golf is one of the toughest sports there is!

Try playing 5 hours of golf at Alberta - it is much harder than 2 hours of tennis. Compare the intensity of the activities and calories and you will see how golf athletes are much better than guys like iniesta who barely run in the game. Athletes? LOOL

Sports like golf, pool and snooker are much tougher than what some of you guys are thinking. Two hours at the Crucible in the world snooker championship is tougher than an Iron Man. And they are taller too.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Easy Bro. I actually like Golf. I play it myself, when I am too sore or injured to play Soccer, in need of an activity that combines drinking with hanging out with friends. But calling it a Sport, well that is a bit of a stretch.

On the question of making money, well, dart players make a lot of money, so do some pool players. There are even computer game competitions with a lot of prize money. I would not call any of them sports either. They are games, activities. Albeit difficult, but not a sport.

LOL you are a dummy kid! pool and dart players make 90 mill a year!? lol, maybe F1 drivers make that and they could be considered athletes as well.

With regards to your soccer, sorry to bring it down to you but where i am from soccer is not considered a sport either! at least not a sport for men, its predominately a game for girls and dudes who cant make hockey, football, baseball, basketball teams and etc

So dont go showing those toe injuries you sustained playing soccer against those cheerleaders as a sign of you being an athlete! lol

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Golf is one of the toughest sports there is!

Try playing 5 hours of golf at Alberta - it is much harder than 2 hours of tennis. Compare the intensity of the activities and calories and you will see how golf athletes are much better than guys like iniesta who barely run in the game. Athletes? LOOL

Sports like golf, pool and snooker are much tougher than what some of you guys are thinking. Two hours at the Crucible in the world snooker championship is tougher than an Iron Man. And they are taller too.
I get what you are saying now I never golfed in Alberta but I golfed in Mammoth CA and the cold didn't bother me but the the high altltude did. Try playing golf for four hours in an 18 course hole, when you are having a difficult time breathing like you normally do at sea level. To me I do tough sports like mixed martial arts and I played American football so I can understand why some people think sports like golf and snookers are easy but it is a humbling gmae.

Now even if you play in normal circumstances, golf is a game OF SKILL. They say drive for show, put for doe (money) in golf. My problem is right now I need to improve on my putting game but to be fair, I only started golfing like a few years ago and that is maybe once or twice a month. I would like to get on the course at least once a week, worst case twice a month. I need to wait though until my job turns into full time management in three months. As you know golf is an expensive sport but you don't need to spend $500 on the driver alone or more.

I got a set of clubs at Cost Co for under $400 and grented a top of the line driver vs a regular driver might give you a 10% boost in your distance but it's really not worth the money. Usually people who do that are either
1-Rich and trying to show off or
2-They are good they can drive the ball like over 270 yards(I'm currently hovering at 250 and that 10% will make you drive the ball 300 yards every time. Over the course of an 18 hole game, think about it, if you get about 30 yards on average more per swing, don't you think your score is going to be much lower at the end? I am not a golf expert but I respect the game and it is in america a great way for Americans to network and that is how most big time business translations are met in the 19th hole(golf term referred to the bar after you are done playing your 18 holes)

I live in Arcadia and we have some good public golf courses in Arcadia and Pasadena. You can pay $7 and get a large bucket of balls. I usually take about two hours and pay about $15 and get two buckets to work on my long game. To play a full 18 course game it's only like $50 last time I checked and you can play 8 holes at $25. Now where my mom lives, in Glendale, there is Oakmont Country Club, which is one of the most exclusive country clubs in LA. Forget about the money that you have the pay up front every month your dues hover around $500 a month. That is the payment for a very nice Mercedes Benz, if you think about it. What he said is true and I agree he said.
1- First work on both your putting and driving game for a few years before you think about going to a CC, otherwise you can pay and be a member but people will tallk shit and say things like, "He doesn't belong here, he needs to practice on a public course," behind your back.
2-The up front money and your dues are not that bad if you sign up for a country club before you turn 40 because usually they try to get the younger crowd and to intice them they will offer "Junior Membership" so you can use the facilities and network and when you are older you get "full membership" and your dues stay the same. If I was to go to the same country club as my step-dad, my dues would only come out to $250 a month with probably only $1,000 to sign up vs $20,000 if you are an older dude.

Still you need to live within your means and if you are only working 20 hours and you are making less than $20 an hr, you should probably wait until you get promoted into a management position and you can afford it. The problem with Americans is we don't know how to live within our means. Fortunately, despite being born as an American my parents are Iranian Azeri and they taught me the value of living within your means. People who have kids from the old country think like this. Anyways I encourage EVERYONE HERE to try golf because for me it is a great way to relieve some stress and golf helped me with my depression a few years back, along with martial arts and piano plus meditating. Golf is very relaxing, WHEN YOU GET GOOD AT IT. The beauty of golf is one day I could kill it on the course and golf almost pro golfer status and the next day i will look like a total chump who never golfed or putted in his life. Golf has a way of humbling you like that.

The reason why I say everything and be honest is because before I would lie about everything because I was insecure about myself but now things are different so I'll give you my opinions and mistakes I made and hopefully someone younger than me can avoid those. To you cats younger than me (33) pick up golf, ESPECIALLY if you work for a company like you are a mohandes/engineer or a business man it is great for NETWORKING. Remember my stchick about the 19th hole.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
LOL you are a dummy kid! pool and dart players make 90 mill a year!? lol, maybe F1 drivers make that and they could be considered athletes as well.

With regards to your soccer, sorry to bring it down to you but where i am from soccer is not considered a sport either! at least not a sport for men, its predominately a game for girls and dudes who cant make hockey, football, baseball, basketball teams and etc

So dont go showing those toe injuries you sustained playing soccer against those cheerleaders as a sign of you being an athlete! lol
I'm from USA and this is the same mentality here. The reason why I honestly didn't play soccer as a kid in the US and played football instead is I heard things like
1-Soccer is for the communists
2-It's not a man's sport
3-They dive and roll over on the floor for five minutes when you barely touch the guy
4-120 minutes and you have to go to a penalty shootout 0-0 game? Yawn.

This is why soccer will never catch on in the US. It is popular with the younger generation but in USA football, basketball and baseball are the big three. I think Soccer is somewhere near Hockey. I'm not clowning soccer but is how Americans view this sport. Now you need endurance to run for 90 min but I always argue you need endurance and stamina to run a marathon as well.

To me the toughest sports I competed in and STILL compete is anything MARTIAL ARTS BASED. You want to talk about tough I would rather do football, rugby , ice hockey or any of those tough guy sports then practice Muay Thai, brazilian jiu jitsu and judo. Why as I am typing to you my wisdom tooth has a chip because I caught an elbow in practice and I go to the dentist. I also had a major back injury and I couldn't workout for a year. In martial arts you will get broken bones, black eyes, torn ACL's, chipped teeth HELLO IT'S FULL CONTACT COMBAT KNEES AND ELBOWS now that is mans game but one warning....

ONLY IF IT IS THAY STYLE not Dutch or American which is glorified kickboxing.

I don't know if you agree or disagree but to me the toughest sport is Martial Arts related MT, BJJ, you can throw koshti because to me that is a grappling art it $hits on even American football, Rugby, Ice Hockey. I played football I would rather get hit by a 300 pound 6'6 defensive lineman then take a KNEE TO THE FACE.

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Recreational golfing might not be a sport but try professional golfing and that is as much a sport as any. Those guys that play professional golf hit upwards 1000 golf balls a day for 8 hours straight, 7 days a week. They hit the gym daily and they do as bit stretch training as the soccer players in order to be flexible. Yes, there are those players like Daly who are just naturally flexible and don't look athletic at all, but then again, they are far and few in between and actually have almost zero chance to win a tournament against the young, athletic studs that are playing the game today. Add to that, the pros walk every tournament and that is a lot of walking. Each day, approximately 10 miles for 4 straight days, and that is after being on the driving range for a minimum of one hour to warm up. So comparing your weekend golfing experience with the pros and concluding that it is not a sport is simply flawed logic.
I golf once a week and have done it for the past 10 years or so. Try going to the range and hitting 300 balls and then come back and ridicule golf as a sport. Now, go and hit 1,000 balls on a range and see how your body cope the next day.

Last edited: