Internet Service Providers in the US? and TV?

Arian

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2004
Seattle
folks,

I'm moving to the states in the next few weeks.. Seattle that is.

I've been doing some research and need your opinion since a bunch of you live there already....

Which is the best internet service provider (damn I can't use the ISP acronym since it creates confusion.. lol)?
I've got a couple of friends on Comcast paying $30 for first 6months, then $45 thereafter for 15Mbps connection.
Verizon offers DSL for $40 flat with no contract but the connection depends on ur area (profiles range from 1-15Mbps).

I'm planning to get DirectTV as my TV provider. Should I get it from AT&T or directly from DirectTV? What's different? Any better options?

I don't have much choice of bundling since my TV will be from DirectTV.

I appreciate any input so I can get the best of the best.

ehsan

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
Dude
DirecTV without a doubt.

All Champions League Games for freee and UEFA Cup Games Also La liga games for free every weekend.

you get access to GolTV Fox Soccer plus and Fox Soccer. also you get some mexican channels where you can watch soccer not shown in the USA.

Then if you like College Basketball you can see tons of games

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
I did not have a good experience with AT&T, their Internet service is OK their TV service needs improvement, so we switched back to time/warner cable , the TW internet is faster it has over 10 Mbps download but their upload is lower than att, so I say I think you can get a better deal (faster connection) from Cable than DSL in general, my total bill is also a lot lesss with TW than ATT.

I used to have direct tv a long ago but for what I heard dish network is better. I heard their ad and they said you can pick and choose the channels you want and only pay for them, if it is so then I say dish network is a better deal.
good luck

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
Bundled up service is usually the best way to go. You can get internet, land line and TV feed for about $100 a month for basic package.Depending on the area you settle in, you may be covered by AT&T or Verizon. Verizon is higher quality, since it gives you nod to home fiber optics for HD.
You 'll pay more for added service, such as premium channels, higher speed internet,international call package,....

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
^^^ i think thats the best option.

i just moved myself, and its much easier (and works out cheaper) when you have your landline, internet, and satellite TV with the same provider. in fact, my gas supplier was going to offer me tv, internet, landline, gas and electricity, which i declined. wasnt too sure if i trusted them enough lol. but what biazar suggested makes sense. coz u get the a very good deal (price wise) if u go with the same company for all these options, and it makes managing all these all also easier coz they all come under one bill.

ardy

Legionnaire
Nov 25, 2004
San Diego Armando Maradona, CA
Arian,

buddy,

TV in america is shit. Don't waste your money paying $1500/yr for their bullshit packages. And remember, when they say $100, it'll come out to be $120+ with taxes, etc.
I'd only get the high speed internet by comcast and you could essentially watch anything for free through streaming if you get a unit like boxee box.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
How many digital TV channels can you guys get free from air in the US? A friend of mine in Toronto area just canceled his cable service once he realized he could get 21 digital channels (CBC, CTV, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, and several others) with superb quality with those $40 RCA indoor flat antennas. And for movies and shows he uses netflix @ $8/month. The situation must be a lot better in the US than Canada.

Oct 1, 2004
How many digital TV channels can you guys get free from air in the US? A friend of mine in Toronto area just canceled his cable service once he realized he could get 21 digital channels (CBC, CTV, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, and several others) with superb quality with those $40 RCA indoor flat antennas. And for movies and shows he uses netflix @ $8/month. The situation must be a lot better in the US than Canada.
CRTC has killed this country's television and telecommunications industry. I should rephrase that. It has killed choice for the consumers. The companies are doing better than ever.