Introducing UEFA Nations league. Is this an end to all useless friendlies?

Nov 24, 2002
I know it's only a friendly, but this is a good example for those who still wanted TM to play open football versus Spain.
Dastan Queiroz mesle enghelabe Irane.. Khoshi zade zire dele mardom.

Emroz Namjo motlagh O khiabani chapo rast migoftan, ma bayad berim tamame team haye Asia e ro nabod konid.

Yadeshoun rafte ta hamin chan sal ghabl ba salamo salavat jam jahani miraftim o agar korea ro mizadim jashne melli bod..

Last edited:
I know it's only a friendly, but this is a good example for those who still wanted TM to play open football versus Spain.
The UEFA Nations League will be linked with the UEFA European Championship qualifying, providing teams with another chance to qualify for the UEFA European Championship.

In addition to the Nations League Finals of League A, there will be four playoffs with a similar format. Each group winner takes a spot in the semi finals. If the group winner is already one of twenty qualified teams, rankings will be used to give the play off spot to another team of the league. If fewer than four teams in the entire League remain unqualified, play off spots for that league are given to teams of the next lower league. This determines the four remaining qualifying spots for the European Championship

Oct 1, 2004
The UEFA Nations League will be linked with the UEFA European Championship qualifying, providing teams with another chance to qualify for the UEFA European Championship.

In addition to the Nations League Finals of League A, there will be four playoffs with a similar format. Each group winner takes a spot in the semi finals. If the group winner is already one of twenty qualified teams, rankings will be used to give the play off spot to another team of the league. If fewer than four teams in the entire League remain unqualified, play off spots for that league are given to teams of the next lower league. This determines the four remaining qualifying spots for the European Championship
Then even better (or worse).

it looks like this is the new trend in soccer.

concacaf has announced it's own nations league
for the 2019-20 season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_CONCACAF_Nations_League

so sooner or later the afc has to follow.
i actually like the idea of iran playing australia,japan,korea,etc...in a
league format.better then friendlies against village teams from africa.
Yep so basically they're mingling the friendly and qualifying into one

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
Introducing UEFA Nations league. Is this an end to all useless friendlies?
The best / fair / dynamic thing that has happend in football league system for ages.
I hope rest of FIFA confderations copy the system, or... FIFA makes it obligatory for whole world
No more Spain 12-0 Malta (shame on spain, and demotivation of worst kind for Malta)
This system also reveals who has been in the wrong pots: like Iceland and Luxamburg