iPhone 4

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
iPhone 4 announced, launching June 24 for $199 with new FaceTime video chat

Apple has unveiled its new iPhone 4 after a couple wild, unprecedented months of leaks. Sure, it looks exactly like we expected it to (Steve compares it to an old Leica camera), with a glass front and back, but it's what's on the inside that counts, kids. The stainless steel band that goes around the phone is an antenna system, while also providing the main structure of the phone, though it's plugged into the same old GSM / UMTS radio you all know and love -- there's a reason they didn't call it the iPhone 4G. There's also of course that front facing camera we were all anticipating, a rear camera with LED flash, and a new high resolution display that doubles the pixels in each direction (960 x 640) for a 4X overall pixel count increase -- Apple calls it a "Retina Display." It's rated at 326ppi, which Apple claims is beyond the human eye's limit of distinction. Check out an example of the new screen up against the iPhone 3G after the break. Similar to the iPad, it's an IPS display, offering 800:1 contrast. Naturally, it's still the same old 3.5-inch size. Under the hood is the A4 processor that runs the iPad. Despite the new engine (and the 25% thinner chassis), Apple managed to make the battery slightly larger, and the new handset is rated at 7 hours of 3G talk, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of WiFi browsing, 10 hours of video, and 40 hours of music. Oh, and that WiFi? It's 802.11n now. The camera has been bumped to 5 megapixels, with 5X digital zoom and a "backside illuminated sensor," which now can also record HD video at 720p / 30fps.

On the software front, applications will automatically get high resolution text and buttons as part of iOS 4 (the OS previously known as iPhone OS 4), and with "a little bit of work" developers can make their entire app compatible with the new resolution display. Developers will also get access to a new gyroscope, giving devs "six axis" motion control between the gyroscope, accelerometer, and compass, with a new "Core Motion" API to deal with it all. Users won't be left out in the cold, however: they can mess around with that new HD video using a brand new iMovie app, if they shell out $4.99 for it. If anyone's feeling particularly frisky, iOS 4 even lets you switch your default search provider to Bing. Last but certainly not least, that new front camera is enabled for video chat using the new "FaceTime" feature. It's a WiFi-only (for now) video calling feature that works from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 with "no setup" involved, and can flip over to the rear camera if your grandparents get tired of your face.

The phone will be available in white or black, retailing at $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for 32GB. They go on sale June 24th, and AT&T will be giving some extra grace upgrade timing -- up to six months early. The 3GS will be dropped to $99 and the 3G will disappear completely. Pre-orders start in a week, with 5 countries at launch, with 18 more following in July. Developing...

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Highlights:

* Front facing camera
* Dual mics for noise cancelation
* MicroSIM (to save space)
* 5 megapixel, 1.75 micron camera + LED flash (will produce pictures that look better than any phone, even ones with higher megapixel count)
* 720p video at 30fps
* Stainless steel rings and gaps — are the antennae (nice!)
* Thinest smartphone ever
* Optical quality, scratch-resistant glass on front and back (9 on Mohs scale)
* Retina display – 960×640 at 3.5″ for 326dpi (!!). 800:1 contrast ratio. IPS for wide-angle viewing. (Best display for a phone currently)
* Powered by A4 chipset (iPad chip)
* Bigger battery: 7 hrs 3G talk, 6 hrs 3G browsing, 10 hrs Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hrs video, 40 hrs music, 300 hrs standby
* Still 32GB storage
* 802.11n Wi-Fi (finally)
* Gyroscope (precise movement tracking)

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Tale of the Tape:
........................................EVO...................................iPhone 4............
Camera..............................8mp...................................5mp (larger sensor than Evo)....

Processor...........................1Ghz Snapdragon..................1Ghz A4..............

Memory..............................512MB RAM..........................512MB RAM

Screen...............................800x400 TFT........................960x640 IPS........

Size...................................122.1 x 66.2 x 12.7mm...........115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3mm....

Notes: Battery life much better in iPhone and iPhone is much thinner and lighter...

Last edited:

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Well i am not that into these stuff but i have an LG GC900 and i think its a great mobile phone. Anyone having any kind of experience with this thing? I mean these mobiles today do have so many features that i dont even know about them and i am too lazy to go through the instructions :)

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
EVO 4G-iphone not
EVO flash 10.1-iphone not

I might still go for iphone though. There is no wimax or lte network where I live anyway. And probably won't be for at least a year and a half.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
EVO 4G-iphone not
EVO flash 10.1-iphone not

I might still go for iphone though. There is no wimax or lte network where I live anyway. And probably won't be for at least a year and a half.
4G speeds are slow and will be for the foreseeable future. Check PC Mags speed test, AT&T 3G is faster on average than Sprints 4G network.

Flash SUCKS, HTML5 is much better. Load ESPN on android and one on iPhone. Vid much faster and clearer.

Flash is a battery drain, has security issues, and just plain sucks.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
i am very much disappointed with the "STORAGE" capacity of iPhone, i was sure there will be 64G model. with all the HD videos and movies you can download, u r going to run out of space on that thing pretty soon.
Nah. I stream everything now. All my vids, music, and pics are streamed from my desktop. I can even preload for times I dont have cell or wifi access. Storage is becoming useless...

Check out Airvideo and Homepipe apps.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
How difficult is it to write application for iPhone ? Do they have a good development platform ?

I was playing around with the Google phone which you can write Java apps for and it is very fixable and you can do alot of things with it.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
About the EVO:

"The 4G, much like the initial 3G phones, has lots of problems. One is the coverage isn't there yet. That's actually the smaller of the two problems," Enderle said. "The other problem is it sucks battery like nobody's business, only getting a few hours of battery life."

"In most places, the 4G won't work anyway because the 4G coverage isn't fully rolled out yet, so you are just burning battery for nothing," Enderle said.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
How difficult is it to write application for iPhone ? Do they have a good development platform ?

I was playing around with the Google phone which you can write Java apps for and it is very fixable and you can do alot of things with it.
It's average. Not too good, not too bad.

Functions are mostly in standard C++ and you're limited in the libraries you can use. Apple gives you a platform that's nothing compared to what you get from Microsoft in Visual Studio and .NET Mobile, and they charge you money if you want to publish your work. There's also a gigantic waiting line at Apple store if you want to sell your application.

Overall, it's shit when you know the vast potential it could have.

It's a toy.