Iran karate team won the world kumite championship

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Iran beat the country who invented karate and won the world championships in Austria beating japan in the final .

Overall with the individual and team kata and kumite Iran finished third ,tremendous achievement by the team .

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
But they choked big time in Olympics when it mattered the most!!!
Karate has not been in olympics yet ,perhaps you are referring to Taekwondo . Karate will be in the next olympics for the first time and we have a chance of winning few medals there ,Karate is very strong in Iran as you can imagine beating Japan in the final team kumite is something to be proud of ...

Specially when you consider 118 countries participated in this championship !

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2002
Karate has not been in olympics yet ,perhaps you are referring to Taekwondo . Karate will be in the next olympics for the first time and we have a chance of winning few medals there ,Karate is very strong in Iran as you can imagine beating Japan in the final team kumite is something to be proud of ...

Oh ya, you are right lol, sorry..

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Dameshoon garm!

Now we're getting good at Karate! We're supposedly good at taekwondo, weightlifting, wrestling, futsal and recently volleyball, yet in the Olympics we always cry because the referees somehow always supposedly manage to "do us injustice"! Is this psychological? Although we do have psychologists in our Olympic teams. Is it them who are incapable? We really need to sit down and analyze what goes wrong in every Olympic? I mean what characteristic did Hadi Saei and Rezazadeh have that the rest of our athletes seem to lack? Why are some of them (most of them?) so "bacheh naneh"?

In the next Olympic games, karate will be added to the competitions. A sport with the help of which we could increase our medals. but something still tells me we'll get the usual number.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV

That is great news and being a Martial Arts enthusiast(started with Karate as a kid), it warms my heart to see Iran's Karate team succeed. Japan has the best Karate team in the world, just like Korea has the best TKD team. However I need to correct you on one thing, Karate did not come from Japan, that is a common mistake people make. Karate came from OKINAWA. it originated from the Ryukyu Kingdom, indigenous martial arts of Ryukyu Islands.

Karate in Okhawa means Empty Hand, Tii means hand in their language and kara means empty, hence empty hand. Today those islands are apart of Oknawa and they got the influence from the CHINESE art y Fujian White Crane. Karate was influenced by China and created in Okinawa but Japan had NOTHING to do with the art.Karate was not introduced to the Japanese mainland until the 1920s, when It was brought to the Japanese mainland in the early 20th century during a time of cultural exchanges between the Japanese and the Chinese.In 1924 Japanese Ministry of Education introduced Karate at Keio University, in 1924.

People associate Karate with Japan but it is like associating Chess with Russia. Chess actually started in CHINA and then made it's way to PERSIA-The word Rook means Castle in Persian(I believe that is where they got the word for it) but people associate Chess with Russia. Same thing.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
You are right about it's origin from Okinawa but most people associate Okinawa with Japan .

If you live in California and a martial arts enthusiast look up Farokh Moshfegh ,he is a karate master who was a member of Iran karate team that finished third in the world in 1977 in Japan ,he also won a Bronze in kumite in European championships held in Tehran and Iran participated as a Guest team , he was a spirited fast and furious fighter and became a great teacher of karate .

As far as I know chess was invented by Iranian scientist Bozorgmehr .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
You are right about it's origin from Okinawa but most people associate Okinawa with Japan .

If you live in California and a martial arts enthusiast look up Farokh Moshfegh ,he is a karate master who was a member of Iran karate team that finished third in the world in 1977 in Japan ,he also won a Bronze in kumite in European championships held in Tehran and Iran participated as a Guest team , he was a spirited fast and furious fighter and became a great teacher of karate .

As far as I know chess was invented by Iranian scientist Bozorgmehr .
Very nice if I am every in LA visiting friends, I will look him up. BTW I only did it as a kid but Kempo was fun because that is combat Karate. Probably the most famous Kempo dude is Chuck Liddell(Note Loyota Machida does more traditional Karate, probably like Mr. Moshfegh. It seems like he has a FB page. I did not know that Iran had such a rich history of Karate that dates back all the way to the 70s. BTW next martial art I will probably do is krav maga. Anyways back to Karate and Iran's team

You know way more about the current team than me but I can at least talk to you about the different techniques in Karate and TKD. Back when I was taking martial arts as a kid, in the 80s(USA), kids took karate and TKD. It was probably the same for Mr. Farokh Moshfegh. Anyways, now a days it is MMA and people learn different arts. You take say MT and boxing for a year, then BJJ for a year(you can sub wrestling for that). From there they will add on other arts and it is much different than today. I GUARANTEE you everyone on that Iran Team Meli Karate team, KNOWS a 2nd and most likely a 3rd art. I bet you money they know a grappling art. Martial artists I know like to be well rounded.

BTW-My friend from Malibu knows some of the Gracies like Enzo. He showed me a few cool moves(nice dude) and since we both went to Cal Poly SLO, I got o talk to Mr. Chuck Liddell. I would LOVE to just stop by if he is nto busy and chat it up with him. Oh and my friend's dad(passed away) was Jean Claude VanDamme's lawyer so I met JCVD(nice dude hope he gets some personal issues resolved). I am sure he could give me a different perspective on his style of karate. Again, there are 100s of different styles. That Chinese art I mentioned Fujian White Crane is known as the GRANDFATHER of Karate(just so you can store that in your martial arts data bank).

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Lyoto Machida is from a school of shotokan which is the same school as Farokh Moshfegh , in his MMA fights his shotokan techniques ,stances and movements were very evident .

I think a martial artist should keep one style as his main chore and concentrate on that for at least 10 years before branching out and exploring other styles or forms .

Providing the style is a proven established style and the teachers are bonafide and credited it should provide every aspect of martial art techniques ,long range ,close range ,grappling ,striking .

Just like learning a musical instrument ,if you love the piano then you should put most your efforts into that ...once you master or become very competent in playing the piano then you can move on to learning another instrument like guitar or whatever but trying to do them all within a short period of time or at the same time would just spread your knowledge very thin and will take you much longer to become good in any of them.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I am familiar with Shotakan and I agree with you 100%. Learn one discipline and move onto the next. There is one reason why I will learn Krav Maga next. If all goes well, in July, I might be in the Academy for Las Vegas Corrections, if all goes well. This is not maximum security prison, most people here are awaiting trial. You are talking class A B or C misdemeanor petty crimes. However, at time, you will have to restrain inmates. That art deals more with combat situations and it is utilized in military training.

You mentioned music and I will touch on piano and martial arts analogy. I actually was going to go there but good job bringing that up. Now onto that piano. If you can read piano sheet music(treble and base clef notes), know the cords and music theory, then you can move onto the guitar. You can pick any instrument but do not move onto the guitar until you at least reached an advanced level. Same thing with martial arts. I grappled with black betls so I really have the knowledge and experience on and off as a brown. Gracies are notoriously slow if I were anywhere else, I would have been not only a purple but a brown. It's all good you learn the art. I have no need to get a purple brown or black so now it is good to learn an art to subdude inmates. I am sure Mr. Ostad could show me a few basic shotakan moves, HELL I would even pay for his time for ONE private lesson. I can learn the BASICS and tell him the situation. This is more for prison situations how to evade and counter.