Iran ranked as the most negatively perceived country in the world.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
It's a stupid poll in my opinion, but gives a good sense of where countries stand in people's minds.

Germany ranks #1 as the most popular country:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-popular-country-world-revealed-124454759.html

[h=3][/h]

Europe's largest economy Germany, which has been criticized for not doing enough to help struggling euro zone countries, has topped a poll as the world's most popular country.
The survey carried out for the BBC, polled 26,000 people in 25 countries, and asked them to rate 16 countries and the European Union, as a whole, on whether their influence on the world was mainly positive or negative.
Germany came out on top, with 59 percent of the survey's participants awarding it a positive rating. The country moved up three percentage points from its 2012 position. It displaced Japan at the top of the table, which saw its positive rating fall from 58 percent last year to 51 percent, falling from first to fourth place.
(Read More: Even Mighty Germany Looking 'Like a Mid-Table Laggard' )
The most negatively perceived country was Iran, with only 15 percent of respondents giving it a positive rating. Pakistan and North Korea also received low ratings.

Germany's increased popularity was helped by positive reviews from people in Spain, France, Ghana and Australia. But in debt-laden Greece a majority of people polled gave Germany negative ratings.

The German government's policy of tackling over indebtedness through harsh austerity measures has proven unpopular in peripheral euro zone economies.
Alastair Newton, political analyst at Japanese investment bank Nomura, said Germany's popularity in the survey is not surprising given the alternative choices.
"There are lots of reasons why Germany is admired. It is a large and important world economy, a world-class manufacturer and has a Chancellor who demonstrates genuine leadership," said Newton. "The question also is where else would it be? It is hardly likely to be the U.S., given their attitude to the Middle East, or China given Western and Japanese concerns on the country," he added.
But Jennifer McKeown, European economist at research house Capital Economics, said the results of this survey were likely to be different if it was euro zone focused rather than global.
"The big difference here is that this is a worldwide survey, rather than a euro zone focused one. I'm not sure how relevant this is as it is the perception of Germany within the euro zone that is more important."
"Negative sentiment towards Germany in the peripheral economies is a worry, as in countries like Italy we are seeing people swaying towards parties with less focus on fiscal tightening and more on growth orientated policies," she said. "This is damaging for Germany's proposed vision of the euro zone where it gets more of a say in how things are run," McKeown added.

Other countries which also saw a boost to their popularity ratings included the U.K., which climbed to third place in the table, following its hosting of the 2012 Olympics.
China and India proved less popular however, after improving for a number of years, their ratings fell sharply in 2013. China sank to ninth position, with 42 percent of the respondents giving it a positive rating. India was ranked 12th, with 35 percent of those polled saying their perception of the country was negative, while 34 percent viewed it positively.
(Read More: Outlook for China's Economy Just Keeps Getting Worse )
Views on the European Union's influence on the rest of the world improved slightly in 2013, after it dropped to its lowest level last year. In 2013, the EU's rating rose one percentage point to 49 percent. However, the perception of the EU did deteriorate markedly in certain countries, including Germany itself, Canada and the U.S. In the U.K. for the first time this year, more Britons rated the EU negatively (47 percent) than positively (42 percent).
The survey was conducted for the BBC by international opinion research consultancy GlobeScan and Washington-based Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA), through face to face and telephone interviews with randomly selected people.
The survey has been carried out since 2005 and the current survey was conducted from January to March 2013.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Exactly. How else would anyone justify Iran being ranked lower than Germany. It's a joke. Iran is the forefront of freedom, wealth, progress, science and social awareness.
And it's always someone else's fault (Jews, Arabs, English, French, Americans, Russians, etc. etc. etc.) - never our own!

Irani

IPL Player
Oct 19, 2002
Iran (70%), Others (30%)
BBC, VoA, and many Western think-tank organizations such as Rand Corporation get most of their fundings from sources and countries that are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. This by itself should be sufficient to ignore the results of this report.

A few comments:

In October 2012, I met a bus full of tourists in Tabriz. They were staying at Pars Hotel and all of them were from Australia. What surprised me was that one lady; Jane said it was her fourth trip to Iran and Tabriz. I asked her what she liked the most; she said the historical sites and churches especially in Jolfa. Jane will return to Iran for the fifth time.

Had the people who were interviewed in the above link been to Iran to express their views about Iran? In my experience, most people who were interviewed formed their opinions from the Western news media. News media has been biased towards third world countries especially those who have said no to Western interventions. One indicator for western interventions is through AID which this organization has been asked to leave many third world countries, the latest country was Guatemala.

As a person who voluntarily worked for a non-profit organization in NYC, I would never want to live there. I learned a lot in 90s how two advertising agencies worked together to attract people to NYC and came up with bunch of “I Love NYC,” buttons, pens, etc. Advertising makes a shitty place to be perceived as a rosy place for people who have not lived in that place.

Weather is a major factor for many and what stages in their lives they are (student, retired, etc.)

Input and Output is a basic lesson that is ignored especially by those who are working with computers. What are the inputs to Iran’s economy and what output should be expected? With some lazy, non-caring, selfish people Iran cannot be expected to do better.

In a recent instance in Ilam, a tourist mistook cream for sugar and kept adding more of it to his coffee. When I realized this, I asked the manager of the restaurant to place labels in front of food items. There were also three types of bread which some tourists wanted to know and none was labeled. (I won’t say how long it took to place labels in front of food items).

In Fall 2012, in one of my trips to Urmia for filming Urmia Lake, I was asked to speak at a tourism conference where many people from UK, US, Turkey, and other countries had attended. I spoke for thirty minutes as one of keynote speakers. For this I arrived at 8am (Conference started at 10am) and left the conference site at 8pm (conference was finished at 5pm). Many college students attended this conference. After discussions with students, I decided to support three of them in finishing their Master’s Degree thesis. Afshar Hatami just finished and e-mailed me his final paper. It is about Sarin in Ardebil. I have the report and will be happy to provide the author’s e-mail for anybody who is interested in tourism in Iran to get a copy of this thesis.

Concluding remarks:

After a lecture at a University in Lima, Peru, I was taken to a high school for a tour. I was surprised many students knew Omar Khayam and they shared a few of his poems in Spanish which I enjoyed it very much. Although Peruvian government is not in best terms with Iranian government, the people of Peru perceived Iranian people, its history, and heritage positively. Peruvian students knew more about Khayam than some of Western country students where I have visited.

Iran is NOT going to change unless people who care about it step forward and help it to change. In judging Iran, as Dr. Sariolghalam has mentioned: consider the Input Output model and what you have done for Iran.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
BBC, VoA, and many Western think-tank organizations such as Rand Corporation get most of their fundings from sources and countries that are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. This by itself should be sufficient to ignore the results of this report.
I could have sworn you ended your last post with Iran is a country with shitty people and shitty leaders. Now, let's forget that and ignore the result of a "report" that says Iran is perceived negatively because of its shitty leaders, because Jane Doe from Australia has been to Tabriz 4 times and Iran has nice churches!!! And just so that I don't make any assumptions, does Jane Doe belong to the group of worldly knowledgeable tourists that you come across and give lectures to who can't tell the difference between cream and sugar?!!! :)